GDT: Game 15: Coyotes @ Flames - 8PM - FSAZ+

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
It all comes down to a lack of high end NHL ready talent. We have a lot of players on the top 6 who would all prosper if they could play on a team with a true top line. All of them would do well as second or third line players. The lack of top 3 talent continues to plague us.

Hanzal would be a fine second line center. Duclair would be a fine second line wing. Domi may eventually be a top line wing. Vrbata - second line. Richardson - 3rd line. Reider - 2nd or 3rd line. Martinook - 3rd line. Doan - captain emeritus. McGinn - 3rd line.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Soooooo, sounds like both teams suck, OEL got hurt and we did nothing about it, and the game overall was a huge sloppy snooze fest.

I'm probably inviting some vitriol thrown my way for this, but IMO I don't think OEL got hurt nearly as badly as he was acting like he did.

As he was being shepherded back to the room, he was hunched over and hobbling... and then, just before they went to break, as he crossed under the overhang that shields the corridor to the dressing room, he straightened up and started walking briskly.

This, after being fined for diving this week.

I'm starting to wonder if our Swedish stud is prone to some rather embarrassing gamesmanship.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Marner and Tkachuk are more talented than Dvorak. They were high first round draft picks. Dvorak showed that he needs more development. My worry is that our pick of Strome will end up being a bust, and we desperately need a #1 center. Dvorak looks like a #2 center to me.

Don't worry about Strome. He will be a 1C, it'll just take a bit of time.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I'm probably inviting some vitriol thrown my way for this, but IMO I don't think OEL got hurt nearly as badly as he was acting like he did.

As he was being shepherded back to the room, he was hunched over and hobbling... and then, just before they went to break, as he crossed under the overhang that shields the corridor to the dressing room, he straightened up and started walking briskly.

I'm starting to wonder if our Swedish stud is prone to some rather embarrassing gamesmanship.

I know he logs a ton of minutes, but I can't think of a player who leaves the bench and returns to the game more frequently. It feels like every other game, he goes down with what looks like a major injury, but he has only missed 9 games in 5+ seasons now.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I blame Tip for putting Richardson out there for OT.

I have no problem with that.

I'm getting tired of Richardson starting in the OT, but we were terrible in the dot last night, again by the way, except for Richardson, so you go with the hot hand. OT is all about possession, but having said that, Richardson made two dumb plays one after the other and their is no excuse for what he did.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I agree. He is starting to embellish his hits like Smith. Do they room together?:) I for one is getting tired of such acts. Time for him to stop. He's crying wolf to often.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

As much as I hate that crap, it's common and is sadly increasing every season. Might as well jump on the train.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona

It certainly could be the case and I absolutely hate that **** but his hip did get driven into the boards pretty hard. I wouldn't be surprised if he got a sort of stinger there that took a minute to calm down. I'd bet he has a pretty good sized bruise there today as well. He's definitely a drama queen at times though. No doubt.

MP

Feb 8, 2008

I know he logs a ton of minutes, but I can't think of a player who leaves the bench and returns to the game more frequently.

He's crying wolf to often.

It's dirty pool, but if it gets results, I can at least see why a player would do it. Do these antics result in a power play with any frequency? Does OEL think he's in that class of star player who draws penalties that might not be called otherwise? Last I heard, the wrestling belt tradition was still a thing; maybe he thinks he's supposed sell when he gets hit?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
It certainly could be the case and I absolutely hate that **** but his hip did get driven into the boards pretty hard. I wouldn't be surprised if he got a sort of stinger there that took a minute to calm down. I'd bet he has a pretty good sized bruise there today as well. He's definitely a drama queen at times though. No doubt.

The biggest impact for me was his head getting smashed into the glass - he hit the back of his head really hard and that's the worst place for cranial impacts in terms of concussions and head injuries. That's why I was spooked when he didn't move for the first couple of seconds.

I keep getting fixated on how he was borderline paralyzed right until he crossed under that awning, and then he just straightened up and almost jogged to the room. Maybe he just smelled some really tasty meatballs or something, I dunno...

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
The sad thing is that you aren't being sarcastic. He literally uses his "own kind of analytics".

Bickley said:
Every 10 games, Coyotes coach Dave Tippett posts a report card on the wall. Players circle like hawks, eager to learn their score, where they stand.

These are not ordinary statistics. These are player-efficiency ratings, the evolution of a system born in Tippett's brain more than 15 years ago, a quantifiable look at how every member of the Coyotes spends his ice time.

"What we've done is put a value on everything that happens in a game, from goal scoring to assists to fights to shots and shots blocked," Tippett said. "And then we break that down per minute played."

So the same equation that determined Turris was a fourth liner is being used to project ice time for this rebuilding team. Obviously, we're having an issue weighting these stats lol

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Well he had to have fooled the NHL spotters at the game. They had him taken to the quiet room for concussion protocol.

From my view of the replay of the check he could have suffered a hip pointer. Which hurts like hell to the point you can't put pressure on that side, but the symptoms do go away in relatively short time.... that is until a few hours later.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I keep getting fixated on how he was borderline paralyzed right until he crossed under that awning, and then he just straightened up and almost jogged to the room. Maybe he just smelled some really tasty meatballs or something, I dunno...

It reminded me a bit of a hit I took a loooooong time ago (in High School football) where I got the wind knocked out of me. I went down, and was kind of stunned for a few seconds. I got up, was somewhat bent over but recovered pretty quickly once on the sideline and eventually returned. That's not to say that he didn't dive a bit (plenty of players do), but seemed like a good guess (on Nash's part) to me.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
So the same equation that determined Turris was a fourth liner is being used to project ice time for this rebuilding team. Obviously, we're having an issue weighting these stats lol

Isn't that quote several years old? I'm thinking with Chayka there, the analytics system has been upgraded.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
The biggest impact for me was his head getting smashed into the glass - he hit the back of his head really hard and that's the worst place for cranial impacts in terms of concussions and head injuries. That's why I was spooked when he didn't move for the first couple of seconds.

I didn't see the head getting "smashed", in fact I was pleased to see that it did not. I saw a player with the wind knocked out of him. The concussion protocol was most likely followed for the very reason you state however, as his head could have easily have taken some abuse.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I'm getting tired of Richardson starting in the OT, but we were terrible in the dot last night, again by the way, except for Richardson, so you go with the hot hand. OT is all about possession, but having said that, Richardson made two dumb plays one after the other and their is no excuse for what he did.

That's no doubt exactly why he was out there.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Again, that game was about as ugly as it gets boys.

I'd like to see forwards as follows:

Reider / Hanzal / Vrbata

Domi / Dvorak / Duclair

Martinook / Richardson / Doan they've worked well together

At this point I don't give a damn what they do with the rest of them, but would like to continue to see Crouse utilized.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Again, that game was about as ugly as it gets boys.

I'd like to see forwards as follows:

Reider / Hanzal / Vrbata

Domi / Dvorak / Duclair

Martinook / Richardson / Doan they've worked well together

At this point I don't give a damn what they do with the rest of them, but would like to continue to see Crouse utilized.

That could work very nicely with a Crouse Strome McGinn line. Roll all 4 lines with a winger replacing Doan every so often so he stays fresher, and that could work. Not work as in win necessarily, but work as in not be awful :laugh:.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
That could work very nicely with a Crouse Strome McGinn line. Roll all 4 lines with a winger replacing Doan every so often so he stays fresher, and that could work. Not work as in win necessarily, but work as in not be awful :laugh:.

Indeed as it will be up to the players to win and the way they're playing is by and large a far cry from what it takes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad