GDT: Game 15: Coyotes @ Flames - 7PM - FSAZ+ - So you're losing to the Coyotes bingo

cobra427

May 6, 2012
PK is down because Richardson/Hammer are out. The bright side of the PP is that we have speed in the line up and more puck possession which has lead to more penalties leading to more PP's. We have enough talent and mix of players, Tocc will figure it out, i see continued improvement there. We had plenty of other break aways or chances to score as well in this game, if that continues, we will get a few more goals. 1 PP goal or 1 less soft goal from Raanta and we win easily. We outplayed them for the majority of the game, like many games this year, which is a great sign. We aren't getting out played like in years past, so we aren't manufacturing wins as much like Tip is in Edmonton. Future looks pretty bright to me.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Pathetic the way we let the Flames hang around in this one.
How many 2 on 0's do we need before we pass on one? The first 2 on 0 Stephan hung back for a rebound on a Grabner shot and then didn't put any effort into playing the rebound! On subsequent opportunities the puck carrier shot every single time. Anyone see the 3 on 0 from another game last night? Two passes and a goal - crazy to think a goal is easier to get with the goalie out of position, I know.
Why does Kessel consistently play so close to the outside hash marks on the pp? It nearly completely eliminates him as a scoring threat. Both Schmaltz and keller spend much more time near the dot. While I'm on Kessel - he no longer puts much effort into board work and seems to have given up on skating with the speed he can generate. Really don't know what's going on there, perhaps he is just lazy.
Yeah this one pissed me off, we had 'em by the balls, lying comatose, near dead and REFUSED to bury 'em.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Wow, i have no idea what Kessel a lot of you guys are watching. He's been solid.
He's a scorer, with good passing skills . But he offers zero in the corners and in the D zone.

Guy is clearly regressing. He's on the downside of his career. He really benefited by Geno.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Wow, i have no idea what Kessel a lot of you guys are watching. He's been solid.

Incredibly weak on the puck, no effort off of it. If "solid" is coasting around and flinging wristers at the net, maybe he's doing fine. I personally expect more try from an expensive player that chose to be here and is being catered to/looked at by the organization and coaches as a key player and leader.

He was the worst forward on the team last night. He's not earning or making the most of the primo zone starts he's getting, and he shouldn't have been out in the OT at all, where he had two really bad turnovers. Kessel has the worst plus minus on the team despite ideal zone starts for a reason. He's not focused or on his game at all.

He's at or below replacement value for the TOI and zone starts he is getting aka completely and utterly average at best.

To put things in perspective: At 5v5,
Garland has been on 11 goals for, 2 against
Kessel has been on 5 goals for, 7 against

I expect more and that's a reasonable expectation.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
I'll leave the more in depth Kessel talks to others but just to throw in what I've noticed...

It seems like earlier in the season he was moving his feet with and without the puck more. When he had the puck on his stick it felt like the puck would stick to him and he could go where he wanted with it.

Recently, it looks like he's not moving his feet as much so it looks like he is always reaching for the puck and it's out in front of him. Like he has to lean out with his hands high on his stick to even reach the puck/make a play on it. Obviously, it's putting him in weaker positions to win these battles and he's losing more of them because of it.

When he's strong on the puck he's a dangerous beast. When he's playing the puck weakly... he's a drinking bird toy.

Reactions: Jakey53

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Kessel's numbers, at first blush, appear decent. Then you adjust for icetime and zone starts and they become the worst on the team of any player not deployed in a defensive role. He is not carrying his share of the load. Not even close. And that comes at an opportunity cost; Schmaltz' line should really be getting more time and better zone starts.

Tocchet should use him 'lower' in the lineup like in Pittsburgh, where he played with Hagelin and Bonino. Less time at 5v5 keeps him fresher and two meatheads that can play in traffic and go to the net create space on the perimeter for him to work. Keller would benefit from going back to favorable zone starts and Hayton would fit naturally on a 50/50 line with Vinny and Dvorak. Vinny should not be on a sub 50 line.

In order of zone start easiness, not necessarily TOI:

Keller - Schmaltz - Garland
Crouse - Soderberg - Kessel
Hayton - Dvorak - Hinostroza
Grabner - Stepan - Fischer

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

justin323032

Oct 12, 2018
To put it succinctly, everyone, including Kessel, knew he needed to get his ASS off the ice in OT last night. But the game was lost far before that moment anyway.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I'll leave the more in depth Kessel talks to others but just to throw in what I've noticed...

It seems like earlier in the season he was moving his feet with and without the puck more. When he had the puck on his stick it felt like the puck would stick to him and he could go where he wanted with it.

Recently, it looks like he's not moving his feet as much so it looks like he is always reaching for the puck and it's out in front of him. Like he has to lean out with his hands high on his stick to even reach the puck/make a play on it. Obviously, it's putting him in weaker positions to win these battles and he's losing more of them because of it.

When he's strong on the puck he's a dangerous beast. When he's playing the puck weakly... he's a drinking bird toy.
He's reaching because he's not skating. This game requires a player to skate. This is a statement, not a reflection of your post, which happens to be spot on.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
PK is down because Richardson/Hammer are out. The bright side of the PP is that we have speed in the line up and more puck possession which has lead to more penalties leading to more PP's. We have enough talent and mix of players, Tocc will figure it out, i see continued improvement there. We had plenty of other break aways or chances to score as well in this game, if that continues, we will get a few more goals. 1 PP goal or 1 less soft goal from Raanta and we win easily. We outplayed them for the majority of the game, like many games this year, which is a great sign. We aren't getting out played like in years past, so we aren't manufacturing wins as much like Tip is in Edmonton. Future looks pretty bright to me.
RT will figure it out? He hasn't for the last year and a quarter.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Pathetic the way we let the Flames hang around in this one.
How many 2 on 0's do we need before we pass on one? The first 2 on 0 Stephan hung back for a rebound on a Grabner shot and then didn't put any effort into playing the rebound! On subsequent opportunities the puck carrier shot every single time. Anyone see the 3 on 0 from another game last night? Two passes and a goal - crazy to think a goal is easier to get with the goalie out of position, I know.
Why does Kessel consistently play so close to the outside hash marks on the pp? It nearly completely eliminates him as a scoring threat. Both Schmaltz and keller spend much more time near the dot. While I'm on Kessel - he no longer puts much effort into board work and seems to have given up on skating with the speed he can generate. Really don't know what's going on there, perhaps he is just lazy.
Yeah this one pissed me off, we had 'em by the balls, lying comatose, near dead and REFUSED to bury 'em.
Bingo!

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
For sure but I do wonder when GMJC is going to start getting some recognition for what he's doing here. Maybe the jury is still deliberating.

I've been largely supportive of Chayka, and the times that I wasn't (especially during the Hayton draft) he's proven me wrong. I think we're lucky to have this smug, self-satisfied young Wendy's franchisee in charge of the team.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Incredibly weak on the puck, no effort off of it. If "solid" is coasting around and flinging wristers at the net, maybe he's doing fine. I personally expect more try from an expensive player that chose to be here and is being catered to/looked at by the organization and coaches as a key player and leader.

He was the worst forward on the team last night. He's not earning or making the most of the primo zone starts he's getting, and he shouldn't have been out in the OT at all, where he had two really bad turnovers. Kessel has the worst plus minus on the team despite ideal zone starts for a reason. He's not focused or on his game at all.

He's at or below replacement value for the TOI and zone starts he is getting aka completely and utterly average at best.

To put things in perspective: At 5v5,
Garland has been on 11 goals for, 2 against
Kessel has been on 5 goals for, 7 against

I expect more and that's a reasonable expectation.
You are forgetting that Kessel gets tougher matchups, and Keller is not a good fit for him either. Garland has been playing mostly with Schmaltz as well, that combo has been great. We thought Keller/kessel would have that chemistry. Kessels play away from the puck has been fine, he just hasn't had many goals yet. Once he starts scoring you guys will all of a sudden think he is engaged, playing great away from the puck, etc..

cobra427

May 6, 2012
RT will figure it out? He hasn't for the last year and a quarter.
We are 17th in the NHL on the PP. That is a major improvement over last year. We all want it to be better and it should be better. So yes, Tocc will figure it out as we go, he has started to already, patience:)

Reactions: Canis Latrans

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2