GDT: Game 15: Coyotes @ Flames - 7PM - FSAZ+ - So you're losing to the Coyotes bingo

justin323032

Oct 12, 2018
Blame all around. Clearly gassed, terrible penalty, and Kessel is just awful right now. But if the coaching staff can't figure out the PP needs fixing (mainly Keller) after 0/5 PP, with honestly not a single grade-A look, then that's on them. It's painfully obvious. Just one ppg and the game is over.

Reactions: Jakey53

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I'd love to see the Coyotes make a campaign out of it like the Carolina/Jerks thing.

It's too internet. Cherry is relatively famous, little easier to do.
Maybe if it blows up bigger, but I wouldn't force things.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Sorry to intrude, I do this on occasion, as I am an avid hockey fan.

Amongst other WC teams, I like Arizona's game, a lot. I think you and VAN will challenge for the WC spot. You guys play a stingy, fast paced game; speed, opportunistic scoring, and great D coverage. I've seen at least 7 games (thank you Reddit); AZ's D is amongst the best, and when AZ gives up chances, it's usually 'low danger.' AZ's D potentiates Darcy's game, not to minimize his personal, individual goalie development. Chicago has something similar going on with Lehner, but AZ's D is much better.

You have 4 line depth, top-end talent, and a great system. Not to mention a healthy *Grabs; his acceleration is elite, it used to be EVEN better, but after his hernias and groin injuries; that said, when he's on, he's a threat almost every shift. I'm sure you guys know it, but when he was with the Isles on the PK; he would simply poke the puck from the point man...off to the races.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Well...we'll have to fix the PP and how we finish games. 2 games in a row where we've let the team get the momentum late rather than keeping the foot on the gas and really taking the other team out of the game. Live an learn.
The PP has been crap for over a year. We have more talent, yet RT can't find a way to fix it, so what gives you hope he can find an answer this year?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'm more annoyed about the PK than PP. The PP has improved (it couldn't have gotten worse). But we scarified a good PK because Tocch didn't like its coach.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
What a crazy ass game. We had discipline problems, systematic break downs and poor individual execution/effort at the end. We were also on the second half of a tough back-to-back. Buuuut what I really saw was how many Pure, Grade A, absolutely amazing scoring opportunities we flubbed on. We could have had eight goals. Easily. I think we had more Prime Time scoring chances we whiffed on in this game than any other in the season to this point.

I guess what I’m saying is that while we CLEARLY collapsed and that not cool at all, we also were extremely unlucky. That Grabner-Stepan-Vinny line especially. Holy hell. Each guy had a bunch of chances that didn’t get capitalized on.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'm more annoyed about the PK than PP. The PP has improved (it couldn't have gotten worse). But we scarified a good PK because Tocch didn't like its coach.
I think we are finding out that John MacLean is absolutely inept at coaching specialty teams. Every PP he’s managed has underperformed woefully. Now he’s given a top PK and it falls apart despite the personnel remaining the same.

As for the PP, I’m not at all impressed by the improvement. OEL is one of the most elite PP D in the NHL. Kessel is one of the most elite PP F in the NHL and they added Soderberg who’s made a career out of improving PPs. And most importantly they kicked John MacLean off the thing. On paper, those changes alone, they should be a top five PP in the league. I think Housley us underperforming. The PP has some goals, but the execution is bad. They can barely gain the zone and they look skittish the whole time.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Some people hate to lose the way we did last night (I do too), but prefer it over a blowout. Close losses combined with more wins means the team is making progress to being a league wide threat.

3rd place in Pacific

upload_2019-11-6_8-20-18.png

Reactions: sundance74

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think we are finding out that John MacLean is absolutely inept at coaching specialty teams. Every PP he’s managed has underperformed woefully. Now he’s given a top PK and it falls apart despite the personnel remaining the same.

As for the PP, I’m not at all impressed by the improvement. OEL is one of the most elite PP D in the NHL. Kessel is one of the most elite PP F in the NHL and they added Soderberg who’s made a career out of improving PPs. And most importantly they kicked John MacLean off the thing. On paper, those changes alone, they should be a top five PP in the league. I think Housley us underperforming. The PP has some goals, but the execution is bad. They can barely gain the zone and they look skittish the whole time.
The PK is missing Hammer and Richardson at the moment, and it shows. Most times I would blame the players for not executing on the PP, but after a year and a half of crap PP, you have to look a bit deeper. Last year RT was dead set on having Stepan, Panik and Fischer on the PP, and it was total disaster. This year we added to help the PP and it's not that much better. Maybe don't have a PP unit and just roll with the four lines. :sarcasm:

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
ok this was weird .... If this was mentioned previously I apologize ..

They interviewed Matthew Tkachuk after the game on the radio , and all he could talk about for the first 4 minutes was how good our hockey team was .... he said each player plays a 200 ft game , they come at you in waves .. He said they had no business winning that hockey game ..

Then they asked about his goals and the team turning the corner, and then he went back to how good our team was, and that these are not the coyotes of old ...

interesting thing to here, because the interviewer kept trying to change the subject , and Tkachuk kept coming back to how good the Yotes were

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
ok this was weird .... If this was mentioned previously I apologize ..

They interviewed Matthew Tkachuk after the game on the radio , and all he could talk about for the first 4 minutes was how good our hockey team was .... he said each player plays a 200 ft game , they come at you in waves .. He said they had no business winning that hockey game ..

Then they asked about his goals and the team turning the corner, and then he went back to how good our team was, and that these are not the coyotes of old ...

interesting thing to here, because the interviewer kept trying to change the subject , and Tkachuk kept coming back to how good the Yotes were
I wouldn't read anything more into this than he was being gracious. As Keith's son, his words regarding the Coyotes could easily become locker room fodder.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Top 5 PP is too high an expectation... look what teams like Boston, Tampa, Toronto, Washington, Nashville, etc., can roll out compared to our best 5.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ

That's what I've been seeing since the first game of the season. Their execution looks fine at even strength. Passes are good, and guys are settling down with the puck when they have time. Then they get on the PP, and everybody's a bundle of nerves. Kessel and Keller have been the worst offenders, but even the guys on the point have been fumbling pucks, and throwing passes to nobody.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
How come OEL and Stepan are in their late 20s but they both skate like they are in their mid 30s. What happened.

At least Chychrun has been playing real good and much better than last season.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
The PP has been crap for over a year. We have more talent, yet RT can't find a way to fix it, so what gives you hope he can find an answer this year?

I'm truly hoping that our leadership group would take charge and offer some suggestions on how to improve overall efficiency in creating chances. Way too often we just hold onto the puck for no reason (I know players like Keller & Kessel are hoping to bring players to them to pass it away), but they're holding onto it too long and letting the defenders come within the disruption zone leading to sloppy passes and/or turnovers.

These are smart hockey players, I'd like to think their "creativity" would begin to soak through and just start making plays on their own. Our PP has improved overall, we were 16.3% last season and 18.8% this season so there has been some improvement and we were over 20% but the last couple games have caused us to take a dip down.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Frustrating game at the end. Really should have come out with the W with all the blown chances (as mentioned above). But I'll at least take the point and more importantly I hope the Yotes take it to heart and don't let that become a habit.

Idk what it is about the Flames that makes the Yotes love to blow late third period leads but it just reminds me of the time it happened long ago where we blew like a 2 goal lead and LOST in regulation with less than 2 minutes left or something. It's witch magic and I shan't stand for it.

Reactions: che

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Must admit I haven't watched the game. Sometimes, I'm not able to not spoil myself, and look up the results. This was one of those again, just like the Montreal-game. And then I have only watched pieces and highlights of it.

Still, I hope that thing about blaiming it on Raanta not is as popular at it may seem. Every goalie will let in goals he wants back. If it is after having made many, many good saves, I hope people find someone else to blame. And I hear there were many good saves.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Hoping the OT loss was a wake-up call and they avoid sleep-walking against CBJ and Minnesota. Need 2 regulation wins in those games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad