Post-Game Talk: GAME 15 - Best start to a season since 1930 - BRUINS 3 - Sabres 1

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Coyle would have been 1-1 and against the run of play. Does not change a thing. Jake hard to say, but don't know that it changes much. Sabres got great chances until Bergy scored late.
4EC1A9C9-F964-4DFD-97CA-1FF89A2AF753.gif

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

BUFFALO — Beautiful, no, and it didn’t take a degree in fine arts to figure out the Bruins made a mess of the canvas for the first 40 minutes on Saturday at Key Bank Center.

“Not a Picasso moment in those first two periods,” said coach Jim Montgomery.

If not for Kinkaid’s efforts, which included 20 stops over the first two periods, there would have been little chance of the Bruins improving their stellar early-season record to 13-2-0.

“Did all right, I guess,” said a smiling Kinkaid, who saw limited NHL work the last two seasons with the Rangers. “They came out early and often, and it was good to get in the game right away and see some shots. We prevailed in the end. Not the best first two periods, but I just wanted to give our team a shot.”

“Tonight was the first time, I think, the whole year that I thought we were on our heels — we didn’t have our skating legs for 40 minutes,” noted Montgomery.

The reason? “It’s going to happen,” figured Montgomery. “Maybe not skating yesterday affected us, but we did it because we knew we had back-to-back games coming. Hopefully we have better legs tomorrow night.”

“Credit to them,” said Sabres coach Don Granato. “The Bruins are very disciplined. They have a lot of experience and that experience pulled them through.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
Bruins Penalty Kill appreciation post:

The Bruins lead the NHL with a 94.4% kill rate. Only one other team has killed better than 85% of their penalties, the Sharks.

There is a bigger gap in success rate between the 1st ranked Bruins and the 3rd ranked Jets than there is between the Jets and the 23rd ranked Penguins.

And the Bruins have put up that kill rate while spending the 3rd most time on the PK per game in the league.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston

This was a great bottom 6 shift by this line, all started with Freddy going in hard on the forecheck, all 3 of them mucking it up. Nosek winning puck battle and getting to Z, Foligno getting outfront for another screen. Great stuff, doesn’t always have to be pretty.

Yup both goals against Calgary and the GWG last night

Uncle Nick was standing right on top of the goalie

Foligno and Nosek have been great on the 4th line

And Freddy has been great the last few games on the 3rd line

I hope Nosek gets a goal soon he deserves one so much

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Kinkaid is going to have to go on waivers when Swayman's healthy yeah?
Wonder if someone takes a chance on him with all the goalie injuries around the league.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Last night was another example of how it’s not where you start, but where you finish.

Kincaid held down the fort until the offense could break through on the power play, and shut the door on a Buffalo flurry in the third. Ullmark, Swayman, and now Kincaid have saved the Bruins’ bacon more than once so far this year. Great goaltending is a MUST if you want to win championships, and the Bruins are getting it.

Patrice Bergeron is doing Patrice Bergeron things. I know he’s won the Selke Award five times, but I’ve always hoped he might win the Hart Trophy one day. If he can’t do that, I’d settle for Bergeron winning the Conn Smythe (as a member of the WINNING team). That might be nice…

Great to see Jakub Zorbril get his first goal, and Taylor Hall continues to impress my with his effort.

Very much looking forward to tonight’s game. Can’t wait.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
that game was a toughie to watch, felt like I was being force fed broccoli for the first 40 but once again, the boys found a way

Buffalo is icing a team who could be truly dangerous sooner than later

Reactions: BMC and Blowfish

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Yup both goals against Calgary and the GWG last night

Uncle Nick was standing right on top of the goalie

Foligno and Nosek have been great on the 4th line

And Freddy has been great the last few games on the 3rd line

I hope Nosek gets a goal soon he deserves one so much
Yeah he’s been a pain in the ass outfront this year love to see it.

Reactions: 13Hockey

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

This was a great bottom 6 shift by this line, all started with Freddy going in hard on the forecheck, all 3 of them mucking it up. Nosek winning puck battle and getting to Z, Foligno getting outfront for another screen. Great stuff, doesn’t always have to be pretty.

And Carlo pinching in the perfect time. Was beautiful.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
Bruins Penalty Kill appreciation post:

The Bruins lead the NHL with a 94.4% kill rate. Only one other team has killed better than 85% of their penalties, the Sharks.

There is a bigger gap in success rate between the 1st ranked Bruins and the 3rd ranked Jets than there is between the Jets and the 23rd ranked Penguins.

And the Bruins have put up that kill rate while spending the 3rd most time on the PK per game in the league.
Through 15 Bruins game, the top-performing players on the PK?

Defensemen
  • Derek Forbort 3:36 PK TOI per game (0.963 On-ice Sv% - 6th among Defensemen in the NHL)
  • Connor Clifton 3:12 (0.969 On-ice Sv% - 2nd in the NHL)
  • Brandon Carlo 3:01

Forwards
  • Charlie Coyle 3:05 (0.963 On-ice Sv% - 6th among forwards in the NHL)
  • Tomas Nosek 2:57 (0.967 On-ice Sv% - 5th in the NHL)
  • Jake DeBrusk 1:52 (*0 Goals Allowed while on-ice* - 1st in the NHL --obviously--)
  • Patrice Bergeron 1:57 (0.952 On-ice Sv% - 9th in the NHL))

Goalies
  • Linus Ullmark 1.55 GAA ; .961 Sv% (both rank 2nd in the NHL)

Last edited:

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Through 15 Bruins game, the top-performing players on the PK?

Defensemen
  • Derek Forbort 3:36 PK TOI per game (0.963 On-ice Sv% - 6th among Defensemen in the NHL)
  • Connor Clifton 3:12 (0.969 On-ice Sv% - 2nd in the NHL)
  • Brandon Carlo 3:01

Forwards
  • Charlie Coyle 3:05 (0.963 On-ice Sv% - 6th amoug forwards in the NHL)
  • Tomas Nosek 2:57 (0.967 On-ice Sv% - 5th in the NHL)
  • Jake DeBrusk 1:52 (*0 Goals Allowed while on-ice* - 1st in the NHL --obviously--)
  • Patrice Bergeron 1:57 (0.952 On-ice Sv% - 9th in the NHL))

Goalies
  • Linus Ullmark 1.55 GAA ; .961 Sv% (both rank 2nd in the NHL)

Love that! Monty has given him a responsibility and trust. And he's proving he can handle it!

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
And what's the rules with that? I thought there was a time/day limit on emergency call ups?

from CBA

WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF FIRST USING AN EMERGENCY RECALL INSTEAD OF A REGULAR RECALL?

When a player is waivers-eligible and recalled to the NHL by a standard recall, they do not need waivers to go back to the AHL if they play fewer than 10 cumulative games or are on the active roster for fewer than 30 cumulative days.

When a player is on emergency recall, the same 10 games/30 days rules apply, but those games and days counters are separate from the games and days accumulated when a player is on a standard recall. So a player can play nine games on an emergency recall, be assigned on paper back to the AHL, then given a standard recall and play another nine games before he'd need waivers.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
As far as tonight...

The Canucks are 1-4-0 in their last five games in Boston, allowing an average of 4.4 goals per game. This season, the Canucks are 3rd worst in the NHL allowing 4.0 goals per game.

After averaging 4.54 goals for per game in their first eleven games of the season, the Bruins have only averaged 2.5 goals for per game over their last four. Do they break out tonight?

Oh, and does Studnicka get a tribute video highlighting his 38 game career in Boston?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad