GDT: Game 15: Avalanche vs. Senators - Keep Streaking - 6:30PM

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I was fine with them moving on from Bellemare, but there absolutely needed to be a solid idea as to who was going to replace him. If it had been Jost that would have been fine, but that would have required them to solve the GD third line center problem.

Instead their stated plan was to go with Maltsev and like with Newhook it’s not the greatest idea to rely on a rookie to fill an important lineup gap. That said, would be nice if he had been given a little more leeway before they defaulted on f***ing Megna.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I was fine with them moving on from Bellemare, but there absolutely needed to be a solid idea as to who was going to replace him. If it had been Jost that would have been fine, but that would have required them to solve the GD third line center problem.

Instead their stated plan was to go with Maltsev and like with Newhook it’s not the greatest idea to rely on a rookie to fill an important lineup gap. That said, would be nice if he had been given a little more leeway before they defaulted on f***ing Megna.

Would like to see them give Maltsev another shot in place of Megna. He's had some time with the Eagles now and had 12 points in 13 games down there. Megna is what he is so they may as well see if Maltsev can gel with Helm and Sherwood. I don't get what the infatuation with Megna is at all.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Would like to see them give Maltsev another shot in place of Megna. He's had some time with the Eagles now and had 12 points in 13 games down there. Megna is what he is so they may as well see if Maltsev can gel with Helm and Sherwood. I don't get what the infatuation with Megna is at all.

By all accountants he is still losing puck battles and is easy to knock off the puck.

Hopefully he gets that rectified.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
I think the flat cap boned us or Saad would still be here (prob Grub too tho).
PEB who cares he can be replaced.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I actually really like Helm so far. People talked like he was completely washed up, he's been more than fine. Still quite speedy.

He's doing precisely what the Avs were hoping he'd do, kill penalties effectively and forecheck relatively well. Dude is clearly well past his prime but still a reasonably effective depth forward.

Reactions: Roy33 and Chiarelli

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I was a PEB fan but I think that Helm is an upgrade.

Bellemare didn't slow up that much that Helm is an improvement.
PEB Helm.png

At even strength, Helm is actually pretty bad defensively, whereas Bellemare might have lost a couple steps but remains a very good defensive forward.

Helm's shortcomings at ES get magnified big-time when he's on the ice with Megna and Sherwood.

IMO a ton of what led to Bellemare's effectiveness being blunted was the loss of Matt Calvert. Those two were phenomenal together and actually drove play at a near-elite level when they were on the ice and Calvert was healthy.

In an ideal world, Helm would be at LW with Belly and Calvert rounding out the 4th line.

Unfortunately I can totally see the appeal. Megna has good speed, wins faceoffs, works relatively hard, and his play-driving numbers are surprisingly good (certainly weren't the other night though). He just has absolutely NO ability to generate offense whatsoever, as evidenced by getting that nice breakaway opportunity and not even getting a decent shot on goal with it. He's usually a pretty low-event player so I mean, I get it, but that doesn't mean he isn't still a pretty frustrating player to watch.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think the flat cap boned us or Saad would still be here (prob Grub too tho).
PEB who cares he can be replaced.

As others have pointed out, if not for the flat cap, Toews would not be in Colorado.

I don't think it was so much a cap issue with Groob--I think it had more to do with how far Sakic was willing to go in terms of $$$ and term to keep a guy who didn't really demonstrate he was a legit franchise goaltender. Bullet dodged I guess. Was that also true with Saad? I'm not really sure but either way, I hate that the huge gap at wing there is REALLY hamstringing the Avs' ability to ice a legit lineup.

Like seriously, I already posted this but look at how nicely things fit together if you just put a magical unicorn in that 2LW spot (and everyone is healthy):

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Unicorn - Kadri - Burakovsky
Nichushkin - Newhook - O'Connor
Helm - Compher - Aube-Kubel

And yeah you're goddamned right Jost is in the press box.

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
As others have pointed out, if not for the flat cap, Toews would not be in Colorado.

I don't think it was so much a cap issue with Groob--I think it had more to do with how far Sakic was willing to go in terms of $$$ and term to keep a guy who didn't really demonstrate he was a legit franchise goaltender. Bullet dodged I guess. Was that also true with Saad? I'm not really sure but either way, I hate that the huge gap at wing there is REALLY hamstringing the Avs' ability to ice a legit lineup.

Like seriously, I already posted this but look at how nicely things fit together if you just put a magical unicorn in that 2LW spot (and everyone is healthy):

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Unicorn - Kadri - Burakovsky
Nichushkin - Newhook - O'Connor
Helm - Compher - Aube-Kubel

And yeah you're goddamned right Jost is in the press box.
giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad