GDT: Game 15 | 11/2/2019 | Detroit Red Wings @ Florida Panthers | 7 PM ET FS-D

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I guess I didn't realize that AA's plus/minus is the worst in the league. It also looks like the entire Sharks team is hot on his heels.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
That's what the team needs, another winger that can't score.

No thanks.

Not every forward on the team has to score to be effective. In fact, if you had every forward being able to score, you wouldn't be able to afford them all.

I was figuring we'd put him on the defense that already sucks.

I'd take Witter over Hicketts.

Forward-wise, I'd take Hitter over Abdelkader. And Helm. And Ehn, And de la Rose. And probably Hirose at this point, and I'm a pretty big fan of Taco.

Defense-wise, Hitter is a bottom-pairing guy, so for the most part Bowey is the target. And yes, I'd take him over Bowey.

Reactions: gbdet

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Not every forward on the team has to score to be effective. In fact, if you had every forward being able to score, you wouldn't be able to afford them all.

Forward-wise, I'd take Hitter over Abdelkader. And Helm. And Ehn, And de la Rose. And probably Hirose at this point, and I'm a pretty big fan of Taco.

Defense-wise, Hitter is a bottom-pairing guy, so for the most part Bowey is the target. And yes, I'd take him over Bowey.
He could certainly make a case for taking several players places in the lineup. Was he playing forward or D in Tampa?

He has 3 points in 12 games, which is more than several Wings players. (I know Tampa is a much better team than the Wings).

Reactions: RedMenace

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I can't get over how many players we have who basically aren't expected to score ever.

I mean let's start with Abby Helm Glendening. 3 veteran staples who can actually make a solid shutdown energy line and if they end the year with 0 combined points no one cares.

Then you can throw in De la Rose, Ehn, Erne. And Filppula Nielsen aren't really supposed to be in that group but they're sure looking like it these days. Basically 3/4 of our forward core has this identity of "shutdown/energy guys who aren't really expected to put pucks in nets ever." Not that they're shutting anything down in reality but...

I like a lot of these guys individually, but having more than 3 of them just seems SO... GODDAMN... REDUNDANT.

And that's not even getting into offense from the defense, which comes from one over- the- hill guy who doesn't care anymore and 2 rookies. Thank God at least 1 of them is overperforming.

I'm not willing to make any excuses for or defend Athanasiou, who sucks right now, but I do gotta say holy shit we are asking a f***ing lot of him to provide basically all the secondary scoring all by himself. Well, hopefully with the limited help of an undrafted guy with 20 games under his belt who God willing at least seems to know how to make a smart pass.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He could certainly make a case for taking several players places in the lineup. Was he playing forward or D in Tampa?

He has 3 points in 12 games, which is more than several Wings players. (I know Tampa is a much better team than the Wings).
Radko Gudas has 5 points, it doesn't mean he's driving the offense, the Caps just have a ton of scoring just like the Lightning.

This team already has enough players that can't score. He's not going to help the team win games, it's throwing good money after bad, there's no point in claiming him. Yeah sure, I'd rather have him at $700k than Abby at $4.25M or Nielsen, but they're sunk costs at this point.
I'm ready to give up on Bowey, but he deserves a chance to play. Makes more sense to see if he can put his game together, he's 24 and Witter is 29. Also, Witter is hilariously slow. I'm close to 50 and haven't skated in 15 years, and I'm pretty sure I can still skate faster than him.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
Also, Witter is hilariously slow. I'm close to 50 and haven't skated in 15 years, and I'm pretty sure I can still skate faster than him.

I know you're being hyperbolic, but he's not really that slow. Maybe you're thinking of... um... I don't know, but he's definitely not a slow skater.

Also, same here, mate. I need to get back on the horse. It's been way too long.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I know you're being hyperbolic, but he's not really that slow. Maybe you're thinking of... um... I don't know, but he's definitely not a slow skater.

Also, same here, mate. I need to get back on the horse. It's been way too long.
I watched the games last year, Abby and Witter were skating about the same speed.

I quit playing hockey couple of decades ago and took up skiing. I doubt I'll ever play hockey again I have back issues. I was actually invited to join the beer league by the ex-NHLer that runs the local rink, but I had to decline.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
I watched the games last year, Abby and Witter were skating about the same speed.

I quit playing hockey couple of decades ago and took up skiing. I doubt I'll ever play hockey again I have back issues. I was actually invited to join the beer league by the ex-NHLer that runs the local rink, but I had to decline.

Aberrator isn't slow either, but they're definitely not going to catch McJesus on a breakaway. I get your point, though, and I'd honestly rather have The Beard back.

I love skiing, balance-wise it feels so similar to skating that it was easy to pick up.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Hate to say it, but I doubt AA has any trade value anymore. Should have traded him when he had some value.

I expected this team to be slightly better than last season since the young guns are 1 year old and have more NHL experience. Boy was I wrong.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
hes been playing well. hasn't got a goal reward yet but been incredibly close more than a few times and has set up a couple. his deke for manthas goal was spectacular.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Mantha, Bert and Hronek are the bright spots this season. Larkin looks to be Larkin, which is good. The rest of the team is mostly interchangeable, forgettable plugs.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
hes been playing well. hasn't got a goal reward yet but been incredibly close more than a few times and has set up a couple. his deke for manthas goal was spectacular.

AA is playing well??? -16 (Worst in League) in 12 GP with only 5 assists says different. He has double the next worst +/- on the team (Filppula -8) which is also terrible which says something. AA is doing everything that AA always does, try to 1 on 3, 4 and 5 everytime and low and behold 95% of the time it doesn't work and we are left with yet another wasted trip up the ice. If his way of playing worked a lot of the time than fine, play that way, but when it fails so often time to do a rethink on how you plan on getting in the zone, and staying in the zone.

Reactions: CaptainZetterberg40

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Hate to say it, but I doubt AA has any trade value anymore. Should have traded him when he had some value.

I expected this team to be slightly better than last season since the young guns are 1 year old and have more NHL experience. Boy was I wrong.
The dumbest thing we could do is trade AA when his value is at an all time low...

Reactions: Tetsuo

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
What you’re looking at is a bunch of complacent vets who don’t really give a shit anymore combined with kids who just don’t have enough support to carry the team.

Blashill is saying all the right things this year but he’s got a bunch of millionaires counting money and mailing it in. I’m not sure what firing Blash is going to do for a guy like Nielsen or Green who obviously don’t have much of an investment in this organization at this point.

Just go home if you don’t want to be on the ice and help move this franchise in the right direction. We don’t need your soft, half-assed plays all over the ice.

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
We need players who actually like hockey and want to be physically engaged. It’s apparent that the majority of this roster would rather be doing other things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad