GDT: Game 14: Tampa Bay Lightning @ St. Louis Blues 7PM CST BSMW

Status
Not open for further replies.

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007
TB looks a lot like the Blues did last season. Maybe a little too full of themselves after a lot of success and unwilling to do the little things that got them there.

Glad to see the Blues return to form.
I was going to say something to this effect last night. After the game I read the game thread on the Lightning's board and it sounded the same as ours did last season, with people angered by the lack of effort across the lineup and even complaining about the defensive system, since apparently they decided to implement a new one this season and it hasn't worked so far, whether because they haven't fully learned it and bought in or it doesn't work for their personnel.

Reactions: Blueston

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Pay cut from his current $3.2m? If they can extend him below that number, I’d be ecstatic. I’d give him two more years at his current AAV no problem
at his current number he got waived and claimed by a bottom dweller. i'd be shocked if anyone gives him as much on next deal.

BluesHockeyGuy

Oct 29, 2023
Did you see Vrana's shot WOW.

Why Berube is giving him the least amount of ice time out of all blues is a mystery, who cares if he isn't the greatest defensive forward he can score, he actually isn't really that bad on defence, there are plenty of offensive forwards in the NHL that suck at defence, they still get tons of ice time.

Berube is wasting Jakub Vrana's offensive talent by not playing him, what a shame.

Great win by the way.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Did you see Vrana's shot WOW.

Why Berube is giving him the least amount of ice time out of all blues is a mystery, who cares if he isn't the greatest defensive forward he can score, he actually isn't really that bad on defence, there are plenty of offensive forwards in the NHL that suck at defence, they still get tons of ice time.

Berube is wasting Jakub Vrana's offensive talent by not playing him, what a shame.

Great win by the way.

Opportunity in this league is earned, not gifted. If he did that every game, it would be easier to argue he deserves more opportunity. However, he hasn't really done much since being scratched for 2 games. The 3rd line seems right for him now. Who is he bumping out of the top 6? Kapanen has been playing well and the Saad/Schenn/Kyrou line is clicking...where does Vrana fit in? Maybe at some point he forces Berube to put him in the top 6, but that day is not today. Plus, the 4th line is doing a great job too, so our 3rd and 4th line are getting similar minutes at even strength. I don't see how playing Vrana more makes this team better at the moment. In fact, why change anything? We couldn't be playing better than we are right now.

In all honesty, Krug deserves more credit for that goal than Vrana. Don't get me wrong, he has a sick shot but Krug's pass is the reason he had a wide open net to shoot at. Nice to see Krug playing so well as he gets crapped on more than he deserves. He's reminding people what he is capable of. He looked like a basketball point guard with the way he was dishing the puck around the other day.

Also nice to see Perunovich starting to put it together. Hope he can stay healthy and continue to improve. If he can play passable defense, which he seems to be doing now, I see no reason why he can't hold down that 6D spot. Scandella is a great partner for him since he is so solid in his own end. Scandy is also playing great these days. The defense looks great and the whole team appears to be on the same page. Quite a dramatic turnaround from a couple weeks ago!

Last edited:

stlbluz

Apr 9, 2007
St. Louis
Opportunity in this league is earned, not gifted. If he did that every game, it would be easier to argue he deserves more opportunity. However, he hasn't really done much since being scratched for 2 games. The 3rd line seems right for him now. Who is he bumping out of the top 6? Kapanen has been playing well and the Saad/Schenn/Kyrou line is clicking...where does Vrana fit in? Maybe at some point he forces Berube to put him in the top 6, but that day is not today. Plus, the 4th line is doing a great job too, so our 3rd and 4th line are getting similar minutes at even strength. I don't see how playing Vrana more makes this team better at the moment. In fact, why change anything? We couldn't be playing better than we are right now.

In all honesty, Krug deserves more credit for that goal than Vrana. Don't get me wrong, he has a sick shot but Krug's pass is the reason he had a wide open net to shoot at. Nice to see Krug playing so well as he gets crapped on more than he deserves. He's reminding people what he is capable of. He looked like a basketball point guard with the way he was dishing the puck around the other day.

Also nice to see Perunovich starting to put it together. Hope he can stay healthy and continue to improve. If he can play passable defense, which he seems to be doing now, I see no reason why he can't hold down that 6D spot. Scandella is a great partner for him since he is so solid in his own end. Scandy is also playing great these days. The defense looks great and the whole team appears to be on the same page. Quite a dramatic turnaround from a couple weeks ago!
Reminds me of Jason Williams lately. If you watch the slow-mo of his pass to Vrana he sees him, then switches to looking at the goalie, pulls back into shot mode & pulls everybody to him & then makes the no-look pass. Yeah, he's definitely stepped up his game this year.

Reactions: Reality Czech

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
Reminds me of Jason Williams lately. If you watch the slow-mo of his pass to Vrana he sees him, then switches to looking at the goalie, pulls back into shot mode & pulls everybody to him & then makes the no-look pass. Yeah, he's definitely stepped up his game this year.
He did not look healthy all last year, so far this year he is moving much better and it has made a difference, the new defensive scheme seems to fit him better as well

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

His 21 shots in the 7 games since the scratches are 2nd on the team and he has hit that 3 shot per game mark while playing 12:24 a night, being held off the top PP unit, and playing away from our top passers. His 3 even strength points since the scratches are tied for 6th among Blues forwards in that stretch. His 5 on 5 goals per 60 and points per 60 are both 5th among Blues forwards since the scratches. He is the only forward in the bottom 6 who is consistently generating shots and he is scoring at the rate of a top 6 player. Like before the scratches, we are outscoring the other team when he is on the ice, so it isn't like he is giving up more than the offense he is generating.

I don't have an issue with the way he is currently being deployed at even strength because the team is winning and the lines have found chemistry. But let's not act like he isn't doing anything out there.

He is also still being underutilized on the PP, which has still been actively terrible. Finally scoring on the PP (twice!) against Colorado doesn't change the fact that there is significant room for improvement from the PP. Our PP is still not taking enough shots or generating enough chances. He has overwhelmingly demonstrated the ability to do that through his career. That Krug to Vrana goal is exactly the type of play that hasn't been a threat from our PP.

Reactions: Blueston

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
He did not look healthy all last year, so far this year he is moving much better and it has made a difference, the new defensive scheme seems to fit him better as well
If we can find a legit top pairing D-man to go with Parayko, I'm feeling really good about our defensive unit.

Hanifin (for example) - Parayko
Krug - Faulk
Perunovich - Tucker
Loof, Kessel, Buchinger, Gaudet, and others etc. in the pipeline.

Leddy's contract is much easier to move than Krug's if we need to go that direction. Krug and Parayko performing like they are makes the defensive outlook of the team look significantly brighter.

On that note, how about our D jumping up and joining the rush?? Parayko's been a madman out there.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Wow!!! The Blues are hurting, knuckling under The Sharks' forecheck. Down 4 goals it'll be tough to come back without rustling up some energy and determination to win this game. There is still most of 2 periods to come back. But I haven't seen any energy by The Blues in that direction. Binnington is coming in. A shame he didn't get his rest, as he'll play almost 2 periods. :(

Great play by Faulk, without his stick, to skate over to the driving Shark and keep him from getting off a shot!

Reactions: stl76
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad