GDT: Game #14 St. Louis Blues vs. Calgary Flames

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirPaste

Jun 30, 2010
STL
That third period was brutal. Glad we got the W.

I hope Army is working on locking up Steen right now, lets not wait on this one, if he keeps this up he could get really expensive, Im sure Steens agent wants to wait though

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
That third period was brutal. Glad we got the W.

I hope Army is working on locking up Steen right now, lets not wait on this one, if he keeps this up he could get really expensive, Im sure Steens agent wants to wait though

Is there a risk Steen will end up in his hometown, Winnipeg, what do you guys think?

His father Thomas will never ever be forgotten in Winnipeg (almost legendary) and now Alexander is playing like obsessed? ;-) Also his father have tons of connections in Winnipeg, with the entire community, including the politicians, businessmen and the Jets.

>My own guess is that Alexander himself loves it in St Louis and wants to stay, though.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
A win is a win, 10th victory of the season baby!! Way to go :blues now lets whip the :pens ass Saturday and get victory number 11!!

LGB51

Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
The Flames are awful, that was an embarrassing win.

You know what? You're right, but so what. Yes we let down in the second, but those horrid refs had a lot to do with why we couldn't get anything going. I liked how our boys stepped up to the challenge and killed every PPO, considering how they have been on the PK at home as of late I thought that was a encouraging sign.

I also thought that was a pretty hard game for Elliot and he maintained discipline, kept his concentration, and played a great final two periods. Given that he didn't really have a thing to do in the first, that had to be tough fending off 6 PP's against, and 18 shots in the final two periods, & going from standing around watching for 20 minutes to being the tender under fire. Imo both goals he gave up couldn't have been stopped by Jaro or any other goaltender in the league, and he made several fantastic saves besides the point. Yes the team could have played better in the final 2/3 of the game, but we got the 2 points, and there were bright spots to be happy about. I for one am really starting to feel confident in Elliot as a sturdy even dependable backup goalie. I think that's huge how Elliot has stepped up to the challenge, and quieted a lot of the questions many have had (including myself) regarding whether he was going too be a effective backup. And in my opinion that's a big positive to take away from this game.

Steen played great and got the league lead in goals back scoring his 14th, and probably could've had at least a second if not for a couple of amazing Berra saves.

Tarasenko looked outstanding in the ice time he had, and scored his 5th.

As much as I don't like him Lapierre played a great and clean game, getting his first of the season.

Leopold played great and got his first two points.

Shatty extended his assist streak.

Backes played a very good game as well.

The game shouldn't have been close you're right, but imo there are several positives to take away from it.

Go :blues :wave: :cheers:

Last edited:

bluesman11

Robert Johnson
Mar 19, 2010
I certainly am not suggesting they give back the two points, and your points about the PP's is mostly valid. I just think when they're in their own building against a team that is just awful, they should have a more dominating victory.

I also felt that there was some bright spots in that first period and during some brief stretches, but I reminded myself that they were playing The Flames.

They should look good against them, I'm not trying to be harsh for no reason, but that's not what a WCC team looks like.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
I'm not too worried about the style of this win. We truly don't see this team take its foot off the pedal against the top teams, and the top teams are what matters, because you face the top teams in the playoffs and the playoffs are what matters. The regular season is purely functional – getting points for seeding. We might have been annoyed with how close it got at the end but they got the same 2 points as any other win, they move on and that's all. Style of regular season win is way low on the list of priorities to complain about IMO.

More worrisome would be if the same script happened against Pittsburgh tomorrow, but I suspect it won't unfold like that.

LGB51

Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
I certainly am not suggesting they give back the two points, and your points about the PP's is mostly valid. I just think when they're in their own building against a team that is just awful, they should have a more dominating victory.

I also felt that there was some bright spots in that first period and during some brief stretches, but I reminded myself that they were playing The Flames.

They should look good against them, I'm not trying to be harsh for no reason, but that's not what a WCC team looks like.

Don't get me wrong, I get what you're saying. I just think being on the PK for 8 of the 20 minutes of the 2nd period helped quite substantially with the letdown.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Despite Colorado's incredible start, the Blues are now tied in games played and only 2 points behind. This is going to be a big week with 3 top level opponents in a row. I hope they don't look past Phoenix, because they're looking very dangerous and still fairly under the radar.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
The Flames are awful, that was an embarrassing win.

This is the same Flames team that took down Chicago a few days ago. Guys, prior to last nights game, the Flames were nearly at .500 hockey. It isn't like they are the Oilers.

I were dominant in the 1st. Spent almost 50% of the 2nd period in the BOX man down........ 3rd period was pretty good. The Flames got one of the faceoff because someone lost their man.

But other then that, we controlled the vast majority of the game and pushed back hard after the 1st goal.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Just got done watching the game (had to hang with the girlfriend last night and she doesn't find hockey romantic :loony:)

Just a couple of points.

-Loved the first period, played our game extremely well.
-We have got to get the undisciplined penalty's under control.
-ALEX STEEN!!!
-The complacency we played with in the 3rd was just down right awful. It was like we just expected the Flames to roll over and quit.

Not the prettiest win but hey we got two points and hopefully learned a bit of a lesson.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I have a bit of a different view. How many games will you see a team spend almost half of the 2nd period a man down and win in regulation? It wasn't pretty, and I'm sure Hitchcock had some criticisms for the team (most of the calls were legit, but maybe nitpicky). But as a fan I think the refs disrupted the flow and inserted themselves into the game too much. I still have no idea what happened with that botched hybrid icing call.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I have a bit of a different view. How many games will you see a team spend almost half of the 2nd period a man down and win in regulation? It wasn't pretty, and I'm sure Hitchcock had some criticisms for the team (most of the calls were legit, but maybe nitpicky). But as a fan I think the refs disrupted the flow and inserted themselves into the game too much. I still have no idea what happened with that botched hybrid icing call.

Yeah I agree with a lot of that and am proud of the strong PK we showed but as a team you gotta put all that behind you during the intermission and come out stronger than they did in the 3rd.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I'm not too worried about the style of this win. We truly don't see this team take its foot off the pedal against the top teams, and the top teams are what matters, because you face the top teams in the playoffs and the playoffs are what matters. The regular season is purely functional – getting points for seeding. We might have been annoyed with how close it got at the end but they got the same 2 points as any other win, they move on and that's all. Style of regular season win is way low on the list of priorities to complain about IMO.

More worrisome would be if the same script happened against Pittsburgh tomorrow, but I suspect it won't unfold like that.

I am not worried about wins like this either, unless they come in sets of three. At that point habits start to congeal and losing streaks become more than a possibility.

However, like you said, I don't see the Blues letting of against the teams we see over the next few nights.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I'll see your "not worried" and raise you a "great teams win games even when they don't play their best." If you can win and still have a lot to work on, things are looking good. Of course it's better to look your best, but as long as they keep winning and fix the things that need fixing by the playoffs, nothing else matters.

bluesman11

Robert Johnson
Mar 19, 2010
This is the same Flames team that took down Chicago a few days ago. Guys, prior to last nights game, the Flames were nearly at .500 hockey. It isn't like they are the Oilers.

I were dominant in the 1st. Spent almost 50% of the 2nd period in the BOX man down........3rd period was pretty good. The Flames got one of the faceoff because someone lost their man.

But other then that, we controlled the vast majority of the game and pushed back hard after the 1st goal.

Last night wan't the first time I saw Calgary this year, and all three times they've been pretty bad, and you're right they're close to .500, which is surprising for me.

What I noticed about their defense is they have no team defense. I just looked up the goals against to this point and you're right Edmonton is ranked 30th and Calgary is ranked 29th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad