GDT: Game 14: Blues @ Coyotes - 6pm - FSA - Smurfs Edition.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
7 points in six games. Need to win the next one to send them golfing.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Probably the third of fourth goals that Hoffman has scored like this in the last 8 days.

Need some explanation as to what happened to Keller there. He seemed to want to go to the bench, got impeded a little, one Coyotes went on the ice and did a David Moss out there, came straight back on the bench.

Keller all over the shop and not covering Hoffman.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Worst OT I've seen. No zone time. Finally got the puck then turned it over, Keller couldn't do a thing in the D zone.

Disappointing way to lose a game we should've won.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
We've always looked so lazy during 3 on 3. Defending becomes optional and our game plan is to let the opposition get a shot off and hope we can pick up the rebound off our own goalie. Suppose it doesn't help that it's all skill guys and we have like.. two of them.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
I turned the game on, and no more than 10 seconds later, Hoffman buries the winner for the Blues. I have that effect.

Both teams 3-2-1 in the series .

Time to watch the rerun now...

BigJCaRoach

I howl
Sponsor
Oct 5, 2005
The Desert
Love Garland, obviously.

Fish played well and blocked some brutal shots. I know he hears it from the board but he’s looked great this year for me. (Cousins-like I guess)

Raanta is not a positive asset. I don’t see how we can get anything for him and we are just going to have to ride out the year and his deal all while he’s either broken, subpar (tonight), or on his game.

Im not a fan of the purple but they looked better in person and wore on me as the game went on.

Zebras were still all over the place but I was less riled up than last night.

MUST WIN GAME 7 MONDAY.

LETS GOOOOOOOOO

Reactions: RemoAZ

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
Can someone please rewatch the full play on the first goal against and tell me wtf everyone on the ice is doing. It should have been a straight forward breakout when OEL had the puck. Where are the wingers? Why did Hunt change while we are in our end? What were the D doing? I know Hayton got stripped in the corner, but he had no outlet options. Plenty of blame to share on that one.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I’m sad, but this has been one hell of a series. Putting up a fight against a top three team in the division on a nightly basis. AZ has had some tough stretches against Vegas and St Louis and made all but one entertaining.

Fasching didn’t last long, can’t imagine he plays next game.

OEL and Bushy were god awful together.

I’m just about done with Brassard too. I’d rather see Jenik or Bunting play in that spot.

Demers looks like he never wants to sit again. He played well.

Raanta let two weak ones in. If Darcy isn’t playing I think Hill should get a game here soon.

Hayton was looking better today.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Really liked what I saw from Hayton between when he gave the Blues a goal and when he got the goal back. I think that single minded focus on getting a goal is something we could enjoy seeing more of if he were to go to Tucson and remember how. Then maybe when he comes back, he can look like that all the time.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Can someone please rewatch the full play on the first goal against and tell me wtf everyone on the ice is doing. It should have been a straight forward breakout when OEL had the puck. Where are the wingers? Why did Hunt change while we are in our end? What were the D doing? I know Hayton got stripped in the corner, but he had no outlet options. Plenty of blame to share on that one.

So I'm watching the replay right now, @rt glad to know Hayton got the goal I felt really bad for him after watching him give that up.

A position player should probably be the one doing the full debrief on this, but to me it was just Hayton being too casual in the defensive zone. Basically he took too long to decide where to make his outlet pass, probably some mix of not liking the options he had and thinking he had a lot more time / space than he actually did. Every team plays differently without the puck, here the 2nd STL forechecker (61) is how they stripped the puck and then followed up so quickly with such a good scoring chance / goal immediately after. We looked lost in our zone because everyone was expecting a breakout pass rather than a turnover (which is not uncommon for most teams immediately following a turnover).

At a high level, if you're deep in the defensive zone and you don't like your options, the simple play is just to bang the puck up the boards to try get it out of the zone, keep the puck to the outside so even if the puck is intercepted it's not an immediate scoring chance against. Hayton did have his left winger open-ish, the simple play would have been to aim a pass board side (away from the STL winger), our winger would probably have been able to clear the zone because he had half a step of separation. It wouldn't have led to anything offensively though which would explain if Hayton were actually looking for another option that may or may not have been there. But also I'm not in his head, not entirely sure why he decided to hold on to the puck for that long in that area of the ice.

Hayton should get better as he gets used to the pace of the NHL. He's still very, very young

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad