GDT: Game 13: Seattle Kraken(4-7-1) @ Vegas Knights(6-6-0) - 7:00 p.m. PT/10:00 p.m. ET

Cisse

Jun 25, 2016
Forssa
This is on coach. He is supposed to get the team ready for the period and also be ready for the shift after a goal. Every time. Coach need to get the team focused.

Reactions: sigma six and kihei

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Now a holding penalty. What a brutal start to the period.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
This is on coach. He is supposed to get the team ready for the period and also be ready for the shift after a goal. Every time. Coach need to get the team focused.
So spot on. Two goals in less than two minutes. That is just inexcusable in what was a tight winnable game.

KrakAttack

Mar 27, 2014
SeaTac, WA
If losing to the Coyotes didn't show we are not going to be like Vegas was, Vegas finishing this one off can put another nail in the coffin. Will be rooting for the team throughout the season, but expectations definitely adjusted.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Genuinely curious how long of a leash Hakstol has, in any. i.e if the team is at 15 points or less by game 20, does GMRF do anything?
I think GMRF would feel a little guilty firing Hakstol. I mean, he didn't provide him with much to work with, especially offensively obviously, and Ron's goalies of choice are collectively saving only at .857 pace, and that was before tonight (the Kraken are dead last in the league in save percentage, but oddly 2nd in the league in fewest shots allowed).

Last edited:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
If losing to the Coyotes didn't show we are not going to be like Vegas was, Vegas finishing this one off can put another nail in the coffin. Will be rooting for the team throughout the season, but expectations definitely adjusted.
Agreed.

I never expected us to be world beaters but I would be lying if I said that we were going to be 4-8-1 after game 13. That is under a 50% win percentage. I expected us to start slow but not be as bad as we have been. Even worse, the defense and goalies have been pretty bad and a genuine surprise to me.

I think GMRF would feel a little guilty firing Hakstol. I mean, he didn't provide him with much to work with, especially offensively obviously, and Ron's goalies of choice are collectively saving only at .857 pace, and that was before tonight.

I am not advocating a Hakstol firing. But I am curious if there is a threshold at which GMRF has to answer to the board/owners about why the team is underperforming. Lets say we win only 20 games this season. What would you do if you were a GM?

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Agreed.

I never expected us to be world beaters but I would be lying if I said that we were going to be 4-8-1 after game 13. That is under a 50% win percentage. I expected us to start slow but not be as bad as we have been. Even worse, the defense and goalies have been pretty bad and a genuine surprise to me.

I am not advocating a Hakstol firing. But I am curious if there is a threshold at which GMRF has to answer to the board/owners about why the team is underperforming. Lets say we win only 20 games this season. What would you do if you were a GM?

I'm not a fan, but agree that you don't fire a coach this early, especially during an inaugural season. Let it ride and see what the players can do, maybe add a key guy going forward this coming off-season (while adding another top 5 pick before that).
So, while I already didn't like Hakstol maybe he's actually the best guy for the job, given the plan.
(edit) In the short term.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I'm not a fan, but agree that you don't fire a coach this early, especially during an inaugural season. Let it ride and see what the players can do, maybe add a key guy going forward this coming off-season (while adding another top 5 pick before that).
So, while I already didn't like Hakstol maybe he's actually the best guy for the job, given the plan.
(edit) In the short term.
Yeah. For all that we know the team was prepared for the eventuality that they are going to be a bad team. And in that case, it may be better to just fall flat this season and hopefully have 2 studs in Beniers and whoever they get in the 2022 draft going forward.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Yeah. For all that we know the team was prepared for the eventuality that they are going to be a bad team. And in that case, it may be better to just fall flat this season and hopefully have 2 studs in Beniers and whoever they get in the 2022 draft going forward.
The way it looks now, we may not have much of a choice. Hope arrives with the draft. I'm already looking forward to that day. Until then we just have to cope with too much minor league talent in the Kraken line-up. Going to make the year a bit of a chore, though,

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
The way it looks now, we may not have much of a choice. Hope arrives with the draft. I'm already looking forward to that day. Until then we just have to cope with too much minor league talent in the Kraken line-up. Going to make the year a bit of a chore, though,
Yeah. Will make the games a lot harder to watch for sure but again, comes with territory of being an expansion team.

On the bright side, both Beniers and Evans have had decent starts to the season.

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
VGK fan here in peace!

Just wanted to say that I really like the way the Kraken compete. Reminds me a bunch of VGK's first year, and most of what happened in the results for VGK that year was puck luck.

It is always awesome to watch a team that may not be the most skilled, but works all 200 feet every shift on every line. I see that in the Kraken. Seems like the Goalie position has let your team down a bit and that is unfortunate, and I do think there is some bad puck luck going on.

Just wanted to say you guys got a fun team to watch and both game we have played have been some great entertainment. Hope for a friendly and respectful rivalry going forward!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad