GDT: Game 13 | Philadelphia @ Columbus | 7 PM EST | The Return of Torts

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Had to watch on delay. But overall i was happy with the game

1. The turnovers in the first period were brutal. Especially from Laine and Peeke.
2. Thought it was a tale of two halves for Laine. Thought he was dreadful at the start of the game with his effort, puck handling, and defensively. However, thought he and the line were really good in the second onward.
3. Sucks to see Z go down. Looks like its a while too. Glad they opted to keep Jiricek in Cleveland too.
4. Jake Bean should not be on PP1 over Blankenburg.
5. Having said that, with Werenski gone, Bean is going to get a massive opportunity to showcase himself. Gavrikov will probably get most of Werenski's minutes, but Bean is going to get Gavrikov's and its going to be his big opportunity. I hope he does well.
6. I wish Christiansen was getting called up rather than Bjork.
7. Keep Foudy and Bemstrom in the lineup.
8. Please send down Sillinger and Johnson. Chinakhov is approaching this level too.
9. Nick Blankenburg is our best defenseman
10. Thought Korpi played well, but I thought our defensive effort in front of him (namely clearing the crease) was way better this game as it went on. Was rough at first tho and Korpi stood tall. It should be his net until proven otherwise.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Nice win. Philadelphia with their super-slo-mo attacking suits very well for the Jackets as they have all the time in the world to get into the defensive formation when needed. Their game was so slow it's hard to imagine how their record was 7-3 before this match. One of the most comical of these attacks was a counter to our 1st line play, and yet Laine who was deepest on o-zone managed to get back on d-zone before the 3rd Flyer. CBJ is a contender if all the opponents plays like Flyers today.

First line again with a great game, winning their 5-on-5 game 3-0. Good to see Gaudreau and Jenner scoring. Losing Gudbransson is not that bad (though his injury looked horrible and there were real chances for even life threatning situation) but Werenski hurting his shoulder(?) by hitting elbow on the boards really sucks. Hats off for Bean for stepping up.

Korpisalo seems to be the fix for the goaltending problem. I hope the team defence doesn't collapse before him when they face a team that can play offence.

Last edited:
Reactions: tunnelvision

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
I'm coming in late, so this probably isn't original thought at this point, but did anyone else notice that the Jackets played some of its best defensive hockey of the season AFTER Werenski and Gudbranson were out of the lineup?
So what you are saying is we should put Z on the trade block? :sarcasm:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Sure looks like Z probably has a major shoulder injury .. classic way to tear rotator/ labrum with arm extended….

Overall , great game by our defense last night.. night and day difference , and Korpi made the big save when there was a breakdown ….

Nothing like facing a torts coached team to build confidence as a goalie … Thought the tribute to Tory’s was classy .. while I’m not a fan of his systems, he’s always been a good dude , and cares for his players ..

Going to be an interesting year with most likely Werenski out …Bean was great last night, as was Blankenburg .

Reactions: cslebn and VT

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Going to be an interesting year with most likely Werenski out …Bean was great last night, as was Blankenburg .

Yeah they have to grow into bigger roles now and if nothing else, at least it will give us good answers on where they are at in development now.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Had to watch on delay. But overall i was happy with the game

1. The turnovers in the first period were brutal. Especially from Laine and Peeke.
2. Thought it was a tale of two halves for Laine. Thought he was dreadful at the start of the game with his effort, puck handling, and defensively. However, thought he and the line were really good in the second onward.
3. Sucks to see Z go down. Looks like its a while too. Glad they opted to keep Jiricek in Cleveland too.
4. Jake Bean should not be on PP1 over Blankenburg.
5. Having said that, with Werenski gone, Bean is going to get a massive opportunity to showcase himself. Gavrikov will probably get most of Werenski's minutes, but Bean is going to get Gavrikov's and its going to be his big opportunity. I hope he does well.
6. I wish Christiansen was getting called up rather than Bjork.
7. Keep Foudy and Bemstrom in the lineup.
8. Please send down Sillinger and Johnson. Chinakhov is approaching this level too.
9. Nick Blankenburg is our best defenseman
10. Thought Korpi played well, but I thought our defensive effort in front of him (namely clearing the crease) was way better this game as it went on. Was rough at first tho and Korpi stood tall. It should be his net until proven otherwise.
I agree on sending down Cole and Yegor. I’d prefer to see KJ go too, but only because they seem unwilling to test him at center and not because of his play, which I think has been pretty good.

Reactions: majormajor

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
It was an entertaining hockey game-something that has been sorely lacking this year. Olivier and Gubranson added some much needed grit as the Flyers-who have been a butter soft team for years-are playing with at least a bit of an edge under Torts. Speaking of the devil, it was nice to see him get a nice welcome to his former home.

I thought that the Flyers completely dominated the last 2 periods. Their puck movement was tremendous, but fortunately Korpisalo played a really nice game to keep them to two goals.

The team needed the 'W' in the worst of ways so that's great for them. Doubt it's a game that turns around the season, but it's important that they play decent NHL caliber hockey from time to time for their own sanity and to keep the fanbase engaged.

#96 is really struggling. Missed two outstanding scoring chances-maybe the puck rolled on him-but there's no excuse for his almost constant turnovers. I'd guess that the average amount of time that the CBJ possessed the puck after it came to Jack was less than 5 seconds. The good news is that he's only on the books through next season.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
It’s not the big story from the game but contrary to many posts I’m seeing in the thread I thought Sillinger played decent. He made a handful of small plays that either put him in a spot to be dangerous or a teammate to be dangerous.

I was at the game and I admit I see things differently live than on TV. I also recognize there were a few times when he could have made a play but didn’t. I don’t know exactly what was happening on-ice when negative posts about him were made. I might have made them too.

But I thought he was subtly noticeable for making smart plays that didn’t but could have been interesting.

summer tooth

Aug 10, 2020
Proud of the boys for getting this big win against Torts, but also very sad that Werenski is out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad