GDT: Game 12: The Wild Vs Father Time, and the Avs | 6:00pm MT | October 27th 2018

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Not sure what the hell Bednar was thinking pulling the goalie only down one goal with 2:30 left on the PP. You’ve got some of the best players in the world on your PP. Give them a chance to score and then pull the goalie when you have possession.

Another terribly officiated game costs the Avs. Three terrible calls including a phantom high stick in a 1-1 game halfway through the third. I wish refs would err more on the side of just letting them play in these divisional games. They're just too important. Especially in the Central.

Reactions: 21 and klozge

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
That was a tough loss. But even despite losing there's some good things to see from that game. Avs were on the 2nd night of a B2B and on the road. The Old Avs would have gotten thoroughly dominated tonight and had to rely on a stellar performance from Varly to even have a chance in this one given the scheduling circumstances.

Not tonight. They played a good road game, didn't get dominated for any extended periods of time and didn't have to rely on Varly stealing the game. They were in it from start to finish, unfortunately just didn't get the puck bounces to go our way.

This team is quickly starting to get rid of some of the old stereotypes that had been associated with them from the last decade.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Not sure what the hell Bednar was thinking pulling the goalie only down one goal with 2:30 left on the PP. You’ve got some of the best players in the world on your PP. Give them a chance to score and then pull the goalie when you have possession.

Blunder by Bednar. I like the aggressiveness, but get possession and throw Wilson as your 6th in front of the net or whatever. Too much of a gamble on a single faceoff and it went 100% in the worst case scenario.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Absolute blunder that may have cost us the game. This thread of pulling your goalie so early is stupid, i hope bednar learn from this and stop doing it. I dont know what the numbers guy say, but my gut feeling is that the risk outway the reward.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
From what I remember he blames a player being slew footed, and a non call prior to the goal more than anything else.
He said the team sucked on the PP all night and he thought 6 on 4 was the better chance to score a goal. He'd not have done it if the team hasn't been this bad on the PP.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
He said the team sucked on the PP all night and he thought 6 on 4 was the better chance to score a goal. He'd not have done it if the team hasn't been this bad on the PP.
Exactly. I totally see his thinking. The PP wasn't working so he wanted to give it a push. There was nothing wrong with the decision itself and the timing of it (over 2 mins left). The only problem with it was he should have waited to gain possession because our faceoffs record sucks. Even if we would be 1st in the league in faceoffs, with that much time left the right thing to do is wait for possession.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
I think the 6-4 decision is being way too overblown. You’d usually expect to gain possession off the faceoff or atleast have somesort of pressure on the puck carrier with a two man advantage.

He may have sent the extra guy for the extra advantage in the circle because we can’t win a damn faceoff.

It was definitely a bit risky and you could definitely fault bednar but imo the players f***ed up big time as well.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I thought Roy was back behind the bench for a second when I saw that 6 on 4 with over 2 minutes to go, and they were on PP. Bad decision by Bednar, move on.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It's easy to be result focused. Even if you lose the draw, how often does it end up in Avs net? Perhaps 10-20% at most. Brodin did well scoring there. Avs were sleeping a bit and didn't put nearly enough pressure on him.

Wild had shut down Avs power play all game. I can understand feeling the need to gamble a bit to create offense.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I fast-forwarded the game and was surprised by how much tension and sort of hate there was even though it didn't blow up.

After watching the highlighted plays in this game, the call on Zadorov was beyond terrible, but the refs were were looking for retaliatory calls. He put himself in that risk and put it into the refs hand (which you should never do IMHO). I am way, way, way, more pissed about that the double standard and they missed the sequence where Kerfoot gets interference and hauled down by Foligno allowing Brodin all the time in the world to line up his shot. That's trash. It would've been 6-3 with more than a minute remaining.

Not sure how you guys can be angry at Bednar for pulling the goaler on the penalty, the PP units were 0-6 and being up by a two-man advantage was obviously a good call there.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I fast-forwarded the game and was surprised by how much tension and sort of hate there was even though it didn't blow up.

After watching the highlighted plays in this game, the call on Zadorov was beyond terrible, but the refs were were looking for retaliatory calls. He put himself in that risk and put it into the refs hand (which you should never do IMHO). I am way, way, way, more pissed about that the double standard and they missed the sequence where Kerfoot gets interference and hauled down by Foligno allowing Brodin line up his shot. That's trash. It would've been 6-3 with more than a minute remaining.

Not sure how you guys can be angry at Bednar for pulling the goaler on the penalty, the PP units were 0-6 and being up by a two-man advantage was obviously a good call there.

I would've much much preferred getting possession first before pulling the goaltender knowing how God awful we are at face-offs.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I would've much much preferred getting possession first before pulling the goaltender knowing how God awful we are at face-offs.

This is what I was thinking, especially with our record on faceoffs. Get possession first. Oh well, like I said I like the aggressiveness and the intent, just not the implementation.

I am a huge Bednar fan, so I'm not too put out. I think he pushed the right buttons the game before, just not on this one.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don't disagree, it has been an issue so far in the season as well. However, the play was in the Wild zone and we were on the PP. Not only that, but the refs missed the horrible call which I mentioned previously that Kerfoot was totally blocked by an invisible wall when he was going for the loose puck against Brodin. Murphy's Law happened on that play, but I don't think that was bad coaching by Bednar. I think starting Soderberg and his faceoff percentage in the defencive zone against the Sens was a way worse call for me personally.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado

After watching the highlighted plays in this game, the call on Zadorov was beyond terrible, but the refs were were looking for retaliatory calls. He put himself in that risk and put it into the refs hand (which you should never do IMHO). I am way, way, way, more pissed about that the double standard and they missed the sequence where Kerfoot gets interference and hauled down by Foligno allowing Brodin all the time in the world to line up his shot. That's trash. It would've been 6-3 with more than a minute remaining.

Because we're last in the league in FO%... You can always pull the goalie IF you actually win the faceoff.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I don't disagree, it has been an issue so far in the season as well. However, the play was in the Wild zone and we were on the PP. Not only that, but the refs missed the horrible call which I mentioned previously that Kerfoot was totally blocked by an invisible wall when he was going for the loose puck against Brodin. Murphy's Law happened on that play, but I don't think that was bad coaching by Bednar. I think starting Soderberg and his faceoff percentage in the defencive zone against the Sens was a way worse call for me personally.
I think it was a bad call by Bednar. The Kerfoot thing happened after the face-off, if they didn't pull the goaltender they fire it down into our zone, we go back and get it, and most likely that's when they pull Varly. Which would've been a smarter move.
I'm not horribly outraged over it but I have no problem saying that was a bit of a f*** up by JB.

Reactions: AllAboutAvs

HartKinnon

Nov 25, 2010
For those who say the Avs must gain the possession before pulling the goalie what would you have done after the first stoppage with the goalie pulled? Put Varly back on the net and again wait for the possession before pulling him again? You don't get any rhytm playing scared like that.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
For those who say the Avs must gain the possession before pulling the goalie what would you have done after the first stoppage with the goalie pulled? Put Varly back on the net and again wait for the possession before pulling him again? You don't get any rhytm playing scared like that.

No, just call a timeout right there so your top PP unit is fresh and able to stay on the ice for the rest of the game. You don't need rhythm in that situation, you need a chance to tie it. If you win the FO, you can get the extra attacker out there. That way, the game isn't just over if you lose the FO.

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
It's easy to be result focused. Even if you lose the draw, how often does it end up in Avs net? Perhaps 10-20% at most. Brodin did well scoring there. Avs were sleeping a bit and didn't put nearly enough pressure on him.

Wild had shut down Avs power play all game. I can understand feeling the need to gamble a bit to create offense.

Kinda hard to when the guy who would have got to him was dragged down.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Rewatching the game now. Is it just me or does it seem like Colin Wilson is always getting in the way of his teammates out there? I was done with the Wilson on the second line thing from day one and that hasnt changed.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't really like him blaming other things. He ****ed up, he has his own rationale, but imo he should take it in his shoulders.

Yeah I wish he would have taken a little more ownership there. At least say sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

His rationale for pulling the goalie there is pretty weak too. Just trust your guys. They're among the best players in the league. Live and die by them. At least for the first minute of the PP.

You've got the worst faceoff team in the league. There's a decent chance they'd lose the draw even with six players. Sure the PP wasn't clicking but it wasn't that bad, and they have no problems entering the zone with possession. So just wait until you get setup. You've got a full two minutes to work with on the PP and 2:50 left in the game.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

There were a lot of bad calls in this one. The Calvert interference was just two guys bumping into each other and Zucker flopping to the ice when he felt contact. The too many men call was BS too. There was a quick turnover but everyone was off the ice before Nieto was even involved in the play. Even the first Z interference call was a little soft.

I think you're right though, the refs were looking too hard to make calls in this game. That's why I wish they would err on the side of, "just letting them play" in these division games. They should ref them the way they ref playoff games, so they don't end up with bad calls influencing and determining games. They're too important.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad