GDT: Game 12: The Wild Vs Father Time, and the Avs | 6:00pm MT | October 27th 2018

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Ehh. I’m not really worried about Minnesota in the standings. If there is anything you can count on in the NHL, it’s Minnesota being mediocre.
Well if they are stealing a playoff spot they are a big obstacle for a playoff bubble team like us.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
Get a nice little break between the next stretch of games, hopefully we get JT back and work on some of the PP kinks, I think the boys deserved a point here but like others have said, we're not gonna win every game the rest of the way just stings a little more cause its the mild.

kchan9

Oct 7, 2010
Wilds a bunch of pieces of crap. The Zadorov call was terrible but not as terrible as Bednar pulling Varly with almost 3 min left and one goal down. Terrible. Ugh

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Anyone else think there's something bothering MacK? He's been cruising a lot more than I can recall him doing from last season. He'll engage every now and again, but a good chunk of the time he's floating it seems

He could be saving energy for exploding in bursts.

Reactions: Avs

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
All three of MacK, Mikko, and Barrie are holding the puck too long, and on top of it not placing their ****ing passes so they can get one-time passes or shots off.

Last night they scored because one touch passes resulted one quick shots or one-timers.

MacK's one-time shot is dead right now because Barrie can only put it in his feet. Also I can tell 5 seconds before they pass it who they are moving it too next.
That is pretty accurate description of our power play. It's too stellar and slow. They have to get back in their last year's form. It was way more agressive.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
Also on the PP Barrie needs to stop winding up and firing from the blue line, good things rarely happen from that.

Wild one step closer to that first round exit!

Reactions: StayPuft39 and Avs

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Probably just tired this game, I wouldn't read much into it after a B2B. He was everywhere last game and IIRC he played ~24 minutes - that's a lot of ice time for a forward.

At least they get a few days off now to rest. Hopefully some injured guys make progress.

On that note, any idea what's up with Z?

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Dater is acting like the bad call on Z is the only bad call in history. Ref misinterpreted what happened, we see it all the time.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Barrie keeps doing the wind up slap shot. It's not working. They should try closing on the slot from the back end and getting some tippable wristers or more accurate shots on net.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
We should have at least had someone sit back in their own end if you decide to pull your goalie...

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
Also on the PP Barrie needs to stop winding up and firing from the blue line, good things rarely happen from that.

Wild one step closer to that first round exit!

That’s what baffled me. It seemed like we were teeing up from the blue line more on the 5-on-3 and driving the net more on the 5-on-4 after that. Everything about out PP seemed backwards

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Barrie keeps doing the wind up slap shot. It's not working.
Not sure why he's doing that, he's telegraphing the play for nothing. Does he think he's Shea Weber?

Barrie had success with wrist shots in front of the net....just put it there and go for a deflection.

AvsFanInMichigan

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!”
Apr 16, 2018
Michigan
Did anyone else catch Kerfoot getting dragged down on that 6 on 4 didn’t even notice it until they showed it postgame and Bednar talked about it.

Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Did anyone else catch Kerfoot getting dragged down on that 6 on 4 didn’t even notice it until they showed it postgame and Bednar talked about it.

He's not wrong but he really should've just waited a few more seconds. Have Varly half way out if you really want to and once you have control of the faceoff, get the sixth attacker out there. There really was no need to start with the empty net with almost three minutes left on the clock and an entire PP to work with, especially when you know the team is really poor on faceoffs.

AvsFanInMichigan

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!”
Apr 16, 2018
Michigan
He's not wrong but he really should've just waited a few more seconds. Have Varly half way out if you really want to and once you have control of the faceoff, get the six attacker out there. There really was no need to start with the empty net with almost three minutes left on the clock and an entire PP to work with, especially when you know the team is really poor on faceoffs.
Agree 100%

Reactions: Avs_19

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
He's not wrong but he really should've just waited a few more seconds. Have Varly half way out if you really want to and once you have control of the faceoff, get the six attacker out there. There really was no need to start with the empty net with almost three minutes left on the clock and an entire PP to work with, especially when you know the team is really poor on faceoffs.
I honestly don't think he'll do that again.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Out of the top 10 teams, 5 are in the Central, 4 are in the Atlantic, 1 in the Metro, zero in the Pacific.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Bednar pulling the goalie early isn't the reason we lost. We only scored that second goal because we had an extra attacker, which also came from a faceoff.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I honestly don't think he'll do that again.

Hopefully, but it was dumb enough to do it once. Especially when all of us yahoos instantly gasped pretty much at the same time when they said the goalie was being pulled. I'm having a really hard time getting over it lol. My hatred for Bednar has only too recently subsided.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
At a drunken, Halloween eff fest, thus, sadly, all I can offer by way of unconstrucive criticism after this loss to the Mild is:

200w.gif

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
With the faceoffs record we have Bednar has to wait until we get possession before pulling Varly. Very bad decision. We could haave maybe get out of there with at least one point. Ah well I prefer the win against OTT and the loss on the second game of a B2B even if it's against the Mild then the other way around. They still had a pretty good game.

I can't believe how slow EJ's decision making has become in the offensive zone. He doesn't even dangled the puck. He just stand there or glide with the puck and his stick not even moving looking up and waiting too long to make a play. He has got to react faster than that.

FreshFitted67

Jun 28, 2010
Tibet
www.kitchen.com
Okay there’s been a lot of talk about the whole face-off situation.

Someone posted something the other day some stats and an article that shows the face-off thing isn’t as important as we might think. But tonight made it extremely clear that we have to do something about the face offs.

That lost faceoff on the 6 on 4 with the goalie pulled led directly to the winning goal. So that lost faceoff pretty clearly directly affected the outcome of this game, and potentially lost us 1 or 2 points here...

Mackinnon is strong, fast, and skilled. There is no reason why he shouldn’t be able to win a reasonable amount of faceoffs.

We have a lot of other things to work on, but I’m sick and tired of years of faceoff ineptitude.

Put Mackinnon through 1 hour of faceoff drills and lessons every practise until this gets fixed.

It should be so simple.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad