GDT: GAME #12 - Nashville PREDATORS @ Calgary FLAMES ***HALLOWEEN EDITION***

Vkonroy

Oct 29, 2014
Calgary
Can anyone tell me how he played the first 2 periods?

Ferland was looking great out there with Granny, all the more reason the headshot was so deflating. He was entering the zone forcefully with speed and doing a good job of making space to either drive to the net himself or dish it off. I think having Huds on that line (while it was intact) was a stroke of genious, since with his calm and steady play it really complimented the two rookies high energy and physical play well.

Really hoping it was a precautionary pull because it would be great to see more Ferland.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vkonroy

Oct 29, 2014
Calgary
Calculon;91812853 McGrattan didn't played a shift in the third. Bollig got one shift.[/QUOTE said:
I love the guy to death, but that 2nd period was probably some of the worst hockey ive seen Grats play as a flame. He was visibly slower than the surrounding preds, and when he had a chance to use his body and at least get a decent pass away instead of being over-taken with his slow feet, his hands failed him too and just couldnt get anything out. Just all around the worst player on the ice tonight and i would have been more surprised to see him out in the 3rd than not.

Bollig didnt seem as obviously out of his depth, and had some good work around the net but i think after his line was so thouroughly dominated a few times some of that stink must have been on him too in Hartley's eyes.

Boumer on the other hand was a lone bright spot for that grinding line, and it was great to see him rewarded with closer to regular shifts in the third and he didnt dissapoint and brought his regular physical and energy play.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
How the hell did we win this game with half of our top 6 missing?

images

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
In regards to Jooris, he will likely be in for McGrattan next game. So someone would need to be called up if Ferland is out and Colborne can't go.

Also I seem to recall Bollig leaving the ice under a bit of distress, but I can't remember what exactly happened. So 2 guys may need to get the call. Edit: He blocked a shot (from Weber I think) and had difficulties leaving the ice, never saw him again after that.

I also mentioned Hanowski because I know how underrated he is and how that would be received if he was called up before Reinhart & Baertschi

Last edited:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Was at the game tonight.

It was pretty awesome. Exactly what you want as a Flames fan. Johnny Hockey and Monahan stealing the show.

Watching this game, I feel like Big Ern's time with this team has come, probably so has his NHL career... there's just no need for a goon anymore.

Granlund looked great. I have a strong suspicion he might end up being the more NHL capable out of the two brothers. He has all his tools, but better foot speed and better small ice effectiveness. I feel bad for Ferly, I went for a beer when he got hit, so I missed it... watching the replay... yikes. I think it might open the door for Sven though, which is just what he needs honestly.

This team oddly enough, looks more skilled than it did on opening night. You can't go wrong with having Gaudreau - Granny - Hudler on a line together, that's more skill than most teams can handle; also with deceptive speed to boot.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
this will not be too popular, but after watching replays of the Volchenkov hit on Ferland I do not think there should be a suspension. Ball and Hrudey kept comparing it to the Burrows hit and suspension, but this was not behind the play like that hit was, Ferland was down low to play the puck, which put him at the height if Volchenkov's forearm/elbow. I think at most this garners a fine.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Just got home an hour ago and was watching the highlights. My goodness boys, Calgary has a future star in Johnny Gaudreau. Had a slow start to the season, but look at him now. Easily the best forward on the ice again.

I am also very glad that Granlund and Ferland looked really comfortable and just picked up where they left off in Addy. Granlund is ready for the NHL, he'll be a treat to watch as Stajan is healing. It's one reason why I don't even care about McDavid as much, because a Monahan/Bennett/Backlund/Granlund/Stajan center depth is insane. Too bad for Ferland getting that unfortunate hit, but I do not think it was as bad as the Burrows hit as AF mentioned. I see no ruling being held on Volchenkov. At best, we see a fine because I too did see the intent to the head, but it wasn't as bad enough to be suspension worthy.

Would also note that we unfortunately are starting to see less and less of McGrattan, I just do not think we need him anymore.

For a game that I thought we were going to lose, I think the youth injected lineup really turned out to make a great game. We tend to play our best hockey in the third period, so glad we managed to grab the win tonight. I am already excited for Sunday's game.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
McGrattan didn't played a shift in the third. Bollig got one shift.

As Hartley said in a recent article, you need to be able to roll four lines consistently. Zero point in dressing McGrattan if he's not going to play.

They should dress Jooris while also calling up someone.

It's got to be more difficult to roll four lines with 11 forwards, though.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Ugly win but we'll take it! Press dominated the second period but couldn't close it out. Johnny Hockey looks great and has been the best player on the ice for two straight games. Happy for Monahan but he has to win a few more FO's.

I think Ramo gets the start on Sunday.

Hopefully Volchenkov gets a a call from Pronger tomorrow.

I think it just seems like this because when he lost the Faceoffs they score he actually won 52% of them tonight

May 23, 2007
Calgary
Was at the game tonight.

It was pretty awesome. Exactly what you want as a Flames fan. Johnny Hockey and Monahan stealing the show.

Watching this game, I feel like Big Ern's time with this team has come, probably so has his NHL career... there's just no need for a goon anymore.

Granlund looked great. I have a strong suspicion he might end up being the more NHL capable out of the two brothers. He has all his tools, but better foot speed and better small ice effectiveness. I feel bad for Ferly, I went for a beer when he got hit, so I missed it... watching the replay... yikes. I think it might open the door for Sven though, which is just what he needs honestly.

This team oddly enough, looks more skilled than it did on opening night. You can't go wrong with having Gaudreau - Granny - Hudler on a line together, that's more skill than most teams can handle; also with deceptive speed to boot.

I don't know if it would be good, but I would like to have Grats as the 14th forward because I feel the Flames need somebody like him in the locker room.

But yeah, I agree. There isn't room for goons in this league anymore. Players like Bollig are going to be the new breeds of tough guys these days. Players that aren't as big or as good of a fighter as normal goons, but are still tough as nails AND can play hockey.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Just gotta say I'm so proud of this team; when people count us out on games, we always seem to be in the game and sometimes we even win the games, like tonight for example. This is all on Hartley and the coaching staff, he's done so much for our team. It took a few years to get rid of the "country club" feel, but we are finally reaping the benefits. :) Brodie has already tied his goal amount from last season (4); he's on pace for 61 points, obviously he won't get that but I wouldn't be surprised if he hits 50 points. Giordano is also on pace for 61 points and I wouldn't be surprised if he hits it.

I know it's only 12 games in, but if we could keep this up, we may be in the playoff picture; whether we make it or not is a different story.

Either way, I'm proud of this team.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Just went back and watched chunks of the game. Man, how about Johnny eh? Remember when we were thinking we should send him back to the minors? :laugh:

I agree with AF that there won't be a suspension for Volchenkov. Looked like he was expecting to make a hit and started falling when there was nothing there for resistance, then threw up an arm to support himself and caught Ferland's head. Dangerous, but I think it was totally accidental.

Last edited:
May 27, 2012
Earth
Just went back and watched chunks of the game. Man, how about Johnny eh? Remember when we were thinking we should send him back to junior? :laugh:

I agree with AF that there won't be a suspension for Volchenkov. Looked like he was expecting to make a hit and started falling when there was nothing there for resistance, then threw up an arm to support himself and caught Ferland's head. Dangerous, but I think it was totally accidental.

He does look small enough to go back to junior.He would fit in well!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad