GDT: Game 12: Kings at Blues 2/11/13 at 7:00 CST

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
I agree with everything but the 1st and 2nd goal. Growing up and playing goalie my whole life those are saves you need to make. First okay yeah fivehole once but Ells has had trouble with the fivehole all season long, but to allow Jeff Carter to pull the same move on you twice is absurd.

I'm also tired of these defensemen trying to step up to make a big hit in neutral ice then getting burnt leaving it for a 3-0, 2-1, etc.

I'm sick of the dump and chase crap too. Last year we tried that with Payne and they looked like they do now. Hitch came in and we started crossing the blue line with confidence and putting hard shots on net and finishing with a strong forecheck.

I'm tired of seeing so many teams able to get a pass to the slot for a one timer, on a constant basis I see our players staring at the puck and not keeping their head on a swivel just gliding through the defensive zone while the other team slides a pass into the slot for a goal.

I'm tired of the same stupid penalties that keep getting taken every single game. Quit with the boarding, watch your sticks as well, I see too many players going in for a check and finishing with their stick in the air bringing it back down and end up high sticking someone.

There's no way you can blame Elliott for the first goal. It was a 2 on 1 and AP went down so early that it was an easy pass/tap in. If you watch, Elliott extends as far as he can b/c he's expecting the shot to be a quick tap in to the far post. Instead, Carter makes a goal-scorer's play and taps it b/t the pads. In that situation, Elliott is just guessing, and hoping he's guessing right. He didn't. I don't know what else he could do in that situation other then be psychic. As for the second goal, yes, that one I could be persuaded he could perhaps have had. But it's still tough to stop a breakaway in general.

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
There's no way you can blame Elliott for the first goal. It was a 2 on 1 and AP went down so early that it was an easy pass/tap in. If you watch, Elliott extends as far as he can b/c he's expecting the shot to be a quick tap in to the far post. Instead, Carter makes a goal-scorer's play and taps it b/t the pads. In that situation, Elliott is just guessing, and hoping he's guessing right. He didn't. I don't know what else he could do in that situation other then be psychic. As for the second goal, yes, that one I could be persuaded he could perhaps have had. But it's still tough to stop a breakaway in general.

He could put his stick on the ice, that is generally what goalies do to block the 5 hole when there legs are not together.

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
Judging from the comments, I made a good decision to see Passion Pit tonight instead of watching the game. However, seeing that Halak got hurt again, and sounding like Elliott was bad again, maybe we should be in on Luongo.

Luongo is way too expensive for the Blues, on top of that Gillis openly admitted to wanting too much for him before the season started. Now Luongo is back to being the starter so the chances of him getting traded before the deadline are not very high.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
I enjoyed listening to Hitch calmly explain his disgust for the current state of affairs during the post-game presser although I don't buy his explanation that the current lineup is not the team that accumulated all the points from last year.

15 of the 20 players that helped the Blues win their 5th straight game on March 11th, 2012 were also in the lineup tonight.

Were the Blues forced to be more of a lunch-pale team if McDonald or Steen were out of the lineup last year down the stretch? Doubtful.

Every single key ingredient that made the Blues so stifling last year returned.

After the hyper-analysis dies off, the "homestand from hell" will be defined by Elliott giving up 20 goals over four games when the team allowed 23.5 shots per game.

The lack of confidence in a netminder spills over to the skaters and everyone is trying to do way too much right now to compensate for Elliott's struggles. Hell, Hitch even used the word "shock" to describe the locker room when everyone found out Halak wasn't playing. Oshie seemed miffed when Federko asked him about Halak not playing. Both coaches and players knew Jaro was the one piece that could help change the dynamic of the team and it seems as if they are all taking their frustration out on him.

I mean...does anything more need to be said regarding the lack of confidence in the room for Elliott right now?

I think it is true that they are missing a little of their team identity right now but that homestand was a goaltending issue.

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
I enjoyed listening to Hitch calmly explain his disgust for the current state of affairs during the post-game presser although I don't buy his explanation that the current lineup is not the team that accumulated all the points from last year.

15 of the 20 players that helped the Blues win their 5th straight game on March 11th, 2012 were also in the lineup tonight.

Were the Blues forced to be more of a lunch-pale team if McDonald or Steen were out of the lineup last year down the stretch? Doubtful.

After the hyper-analysis dies off, the "homestand from hell" will be defined by Elliott giving up 20 goals over four games when the team allowed 23.5 shots per game.

The lack of confidence in a netminder spills over to the skaters and everyone is trying to do way too much right now to compensate for Elliott's struggles. Hell, Hitch even used the word "shock" to describe the locker room when everyone found out Halak wasn't playing. Oshie seemed miffed when Federko asked him about Halak not playing. Both coaches and players knew Jaro was the one piece that could help change the dynamic of the team and it seems as if they are all taking their frustration out on him.

I mean...does anything more need to be said regarding the lack of confidence in the room for Elliott right now?

I think it is true that they are missing a little of their team identity right now but that homestand was a goaltending issue.

I dont think he meant the players are different I think he meant they are playing differently. They are not the same team as last year meaning they are not as focused this year, are playing less physical, making stupid plays, dumb penalties, missed assignments, etc. Last year there were playing as a team every one work hard and contributed this year they are playing completely different.

Its like the Indians in Major League they came out of nowhere to be a really good team without any superstars. The next season they bring in a star Parkman (tarasenko, but they better not trade him for some guy from Japan) and most of the returning players are not playing the same. Vaughn is concerned with his image, Hayes is worried about his movie career, etc. Maybe Wednesday they come out and beat the hell out of each other on the bench and turn it around. Ok that is not realistic but that would be hilarious to see. Wow I have seen those movies way too many times. But the point is the same its the same players and the same team but they are not playing the same game.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
I didn't hear the Hitchcock presser because I was busy having legal edibles and hashbrowns (which cheers you right up). Was he saying this isn't the same team as in: 1) there are new faces and different line combos or 2) a "you're not the same man I used to know!" tone? Like a "they all have the same uniforms but who the **** are these guys?"

Last edited by a moderator:

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
it's definitely not perron. he's one of the few skating hard and battling every shift. it may be a little bit geared toward petro, and probably toward steen, berglund and stewart. idk just guessin.

I strongly disagree. Perron is definitely one of the targets and something needs to be addressed with him.

He skates hard, but he's been incredibly selfish with the puck this year. It's not typically the case that his teammates are standing around or he has no available players to pass to, it's that he dangled himself into the corner and there are no passing options because he waited too long to pass the puck or just flat out probably didn't consider it.

He's playing like a prima donna and it's indicative of the team's problem right now, too many players trying to individually make a difference rather than play like a team. Steen falls into this category too.

IMO, passing the puck to Perron is a turnover in the making. You definitely can't cycle with him because he tries to cycle with himself by stickhandling.

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
I didn't hear the Hitchcock presser because I was busy having legal edibles and hashbrowns (which cheers you right up). Was he saying this isn't the same team as in: 1) there are new faces and different line combos or 2) a "you're not the same man I used to know!" tone? Like a "they all have the same uniforms but who the F are these guys?"

Quotes from Hitch

The team that collected all the points was a workerbee team. So an easier sell. This is a team that has to find itself."

This is the team that played in playoffs. This is NOT the team that collected all the points last year. Players were missing.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011

I agree with this. We seemed -very- tentative at the beginning of the game. Another word to use could be deflated. With average goaltending I think we win at least one, and probably two of the games on this homestand. It's obvious everyone on the team knows it, and it's effecting our play.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
Everything I read showed that Hitch was much closer to the latter. Oh, and I'm jealous...Maybe a move out West would do me some good. :laugh:

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Everything I read showed that Hitch was much closer to the latter. Oh, and I'm jealous...Maybe a move out West would do me some good. :laugh:

Healthiest state in America. Here in the high Rockies it's gorgeous too. Looking forward to the drive to Denver for the Blues game next Wednesday and the drive back on Thursday all throughout the mountains.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
I dont think he meant the players are different I think he meant they are playing differently. They are not the same team as last year meaning they are not as focused this year, are playing less physical, making stupid plays, dumb penalties, missed assignments, etc. Last year there were playing as a team every one work hard and contributed this year they are playing completely different.

Except he threw out the number 12...as in this current lineup when healthy (excluding the rookies) played only "12" games together last year including playoffs.

Thus, you can make the leap that he feels some of what's plaguing the Blues is a roster issue that's maybe lacking a little grit.

It's now the blue collar regular season Blues of 2011-12 vs. the soft Blues that were blown out by LA and are struggling in 2012-13.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
I agree with this. We seemed -very- tentative at the beginning of the game. Another word to use could be deflated. With average goaltending I think we win at least one, and probably two of the games on this homestand. It's obvious everyone on the team knows it, and it's effecting our play.

I think this is why Pietrangelo went down so quickly on that first goal. I think he wanted to force the issue so Elliott wouldn't have to guess (the puck carrier would have to shoot so Elliott could square up), but he mistimed it and there was a little space for a pass to get through (and then Carter made a nice decision). But I'm not so sure Pietrangelo goes down that early if he had more confidence in Elliott. Just a feeling I remember having at the time.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Except he threw out the number 12...as in this current lineup when healthy (excluding the rookies) played only "12" games together last year including playoffs.

Thus, you can make the leap that he feels some of what's plaguing the Blues is a roster issue that's maybe lacking a little grit.

It's now the blue collar regular season Blues of 2011-12 vs. the soft Blues that were blown out by LA and are struggling in 2012-13.

I'm glad you answered this. Yeah, the team only got fully healthy right before the playoffs last year and the Blues were allowed to expand the roster for the playoffs so everybody stayed up. When they dominated the Sharks they looked great. Elliott was actually damn good in that series. Then he, along with a lot of forwards and d-men (we could name a bunch) were subpar against the Kings, and especially deflated with Pietrangelo's injury and then being too buried to recover even when a gimpy Petro returned.

Maybe there's a pattern – play lights out hockey to start hot at 6-1 similar to the way the team did against the Sharks, then play this physically dictated-to style for a four-game homestand the way they did in the LA series.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
I think this is why Pietrangelo went down so quickly on that first goal. I think he wanted to force the issue so Elliott wouldn't have to guess (the puck carrier would have to shoot so Elliott could square up), but he mistimed it and there was a little space for a pass to get through (and then Carter made a nice decision). But I'm not so sure Pietrangelo goes down that early if he had more confidence in Elliott. Just a feeling I remember having at the time.

Yea, it's pretty obvious no one on our team has faith in Elliott right now. They are all trying to say the right things, but at the end of the day it's got to be super frustrating. It's obviously bleeding into their play. Instead of being defensively sound, everyone is trying to make a stellar play and it's taking people out of position, which is leading to even more breakdowns. If Halak isn't ready, Allen should play. I honestly don't think he could do anything more to kill our team's confidence right now, even if he shows up without pads and instead of playing goal drops a brick on the goal-line and skates off.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
It's a tough team to watch right now and I look forward to brighter days ahead. This team will figure it out, eventually. Whether that takes 1 more game, 1 more week, month, or entire season, I don't know, but it will be straightened out. This team is overflowing with talent. I want Jaro back, not because he's THAT much better than Elliott, but just to change things up a bit. The team is not playing with confidence. They are just tossing blind passes to the boards in the offensive zone because they feel like every mistake they make is going to end up in the back of their net. If Jaro comes in and makes a couple of big saves early, I think this team will take off. They will feel more comfortable taking calculated chances in the offensive zone, and will hopefully simplify the game in the defensive end. Hopefully Allen can give this team a spark. I guess we'll see. When the Blues are playing very well, Jaro, Elliott, and Allen are all three very capable of winning their starts.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I just feel like our defense especially in the defensive end is a step slow compared to the forecheck. If they can get the puck away, then they are fine as our first pass out is as good as it has ever been with our top 6 guys. Just defending, they look slow and are positioned out. Teams seem to really be pressuring the puck on the Blues in their own zone and controlling it. For whatever reason, we seem to be giving up quality shots in our own end more so than last year. I'm not sure, if it is an X and O's adjustment to their system or folks not playing/wondering off of their post. Wings seem to cheat in a little deep on defense and the points are getting good looks too. On offense, I think the Blues are a little too predictable and need to give teams some different looks/setups. It seems like our opponents know what is coming, and we turn the puck over more often because of it. Just my two cents.

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
Bad on both sides of thrle ice. The motto of hitch last year has been completely ignored (get pucks to the net) and instead of that we see cute passes that get intercepted. Park an ass in the crease and shoot, thats what won us the central, along with knowing how to properly play defense

JustOneB4IDie

Duel Cancer Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Imperial, Missouri
Luongo is way too expensive for the Blues, on top of that Gillis openly admitted to wanting too much for him before the season started. Now Luongo is back to being the starter so the chances of him getting traded before the deadline are not very high.

Luongo WILL be traded by the deadline, not here to the small market little sisters of the poor NHL franchise Blues of course.:sarcasm: Anyway, the package Vancouver gets in return gets even better the better Luongo plays.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
I strongly disagree. Perron is definitely one of the targets and something needs to be addressed with him.

He skates hard, but he's been incredibly selfish with the puck this year. It's not typically the case that his teammates are standing around or he has no available players to pass to, it's that he dangled himself into the corner and there are no passing options because he waited too long to pass the puck or just flat out probably didn't consider it.

He's playing like a prima donna and it's indicative of the team's problem right now, too many players trying to individually make a difference rather than play like a team. Steen falls into this category too.

IMO, passing the puck to Perron is a turnover in the making. You definitely can't cycle with him because he tries to cycle with himself by stickhandling.

Agreed, and I think after Perron's little temper tantrum last night im done with him.

JustOneB4IDie

Duel Cancer Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Imperial, Missouri
The season is slipping away fast- one point on a 4 game homestand? C'mon... Since Halak is always injured, It's in the Blues best interest right now to scratch Elliott and see what Allen can do.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box

Big Al 2

Feb 1, 2013
Joe Buck is one of the funniest guys you'll ever meet. It sucks that fox doesn't let him bring that into his broadcasting

Fred Murtz

Jan 20, 2009
Hitchcock post game press conference. Sorry about the end getting cut off, my DTV box was set to cover the whole segment but it missed the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad