GDT: Game 12: Kings at Blues 2/11/13 at 7:00 CST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Al 2

Feb 1, 2013
Something weird about this team playing with Elliott over an extended number of starts. Play well for a few games then it falls apart. Elliott was great in Nashville and Chicago then things started to unravel. He was good against San Jose in the playoffs then he and the team collectively fell apart in the La series. Not sure what it is

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I have no idea how any of you can say Shattenkirk has been playing well this season. Yeah, he's scoring a lot of points...but his defense is once again dreadful.

Linus

Nov 27, 2010
St. Louis
Judging from the comments, I made a good decision to see Passion Pit tonight instead of watching the game. However, seeing that Halak got hurt again, and sounding like Elliott was bad again, maybe we should be in on Luongo.

I have a feeling Gillis is pretty happy with how things are going with their goalie tandem. Who knows if Luongo is even going to be moved this season. It's interesting to speculate what a trade might entail but I don't think it's realistic at all.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
I have no idea how any of you can say Shattenkirk has been playing well this season. Yeah, he's scoring a lot of points...but his defense is once again dreadful.

There really isn't a bright spot on that side of the puck.

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
He lets in every momentum changing goal. Always good for getting the other team feeling good about their offense and winning the game. Rarely makes a momentum changing save, or any big save for that matter.

He isnt any good. Thats the truth. He's not the only issue, but until the Blues can feel comfortable, they will play a very hesitant game.

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
Alright, who is Backes referring to here?

"We've got too many guys out there looking at the stat sheet wondering how many goals & assists, cookies they've got rather than taking a hit to make a play and getting run over so we can get a puck out so that your teammates can have a 3-on-2."

https://twitter.com/lkorac10/status/301181571040436224
https://twitter.com/lkorac10/status/301181644658843648
That's where leaders come in and point that out. Why is he doing it on twitter? He takes 2 idiotic penalties a game it seems. If he wants to change things, Im pretty sure that A on his chest allows him to talk to players a little more directly than a general statement on twitter.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012

what are you talking about? he was the only guy that consistently won battles in our own end and made a good first pass out of the zone.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
That's where leaders come in and point that out. Why is he doing it on twitter? He takes 2 idiotic penalties a game it seems. If he wants to change things, Im pretty sure that A on his chest allows him to talk to players a little more directly than a general statement on twitter.

Backes didn't tweet that. Korac tweeted it.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
Alright, who is Backes referring to here?

"We've got too many guys out there looking at the stat sheet wondering how many goals & assists, cookies they've got rather than taking a hit to make a play and getting run over so we can get a puck out so that your teammates can have a 3-on-2."

https://twitter.com/lkorac10/status/301181571040436224
https://twitter.com/lkorac10/status/301181644658843648

Personally, I think it's Perron.

But then again, I've felt like Perron has played nothing but selfish the entire season so far, so I'm biased.

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
what are you talking about? he was the only guy that consistently won battles in our own end and made a good first pass out of the zone.
Shattenkirk has been good in his own end and elite in the other.

He's what, 23? He is not even close to being a problem. Apparently every d-man has to be 100% perfect all the time.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
I think we can calm down a little bit. This team did go 6-1 to start the season. We played great when we were playing every night or every other night. Then all of a sudden we get like 1 game in 6 days and now we're playing like this.

A couple of thoughts. Elliott needs a rest, don't need to go more into that.

Cole is a solid player, and needs to play more. Some games he plays well, some games he doesn't. He didn't have the best game today, but you could tell he's battling hard. He shouldn't come out of the line-up in my opinion unless he takes a Russell-type dive off a cliff.

Wade Redden is not the answer. He has played -very- poorly outside of his first two games.

AP looks like hot garbage. He needs to take care of his own zone first before jumping into the play. He is now a -3 on the season. In his last 5 he's -3, +1, -2, -2, -2. Not what we need from our cornerstone franchise player. Someone needs to sit him down and explain to him that Shattenkirk is outplaying him by a country mile right now.

Oshie and Sobotka are the only two forwards that I think have played well in every game. Steen is playing better then I think a lot of people are giving him credit for. He's been part of the roulette wheel of line combo's recently, and I don't agree with that Hitch making that much change for him.

Which leads me to my next point. I think Hitch totally screwed the pooch changing things all around to "get players in." I understand needing to give players rest, especially at the beginning of the season. However, we're not playing 6 games in 9 days anymore. D'ags is a worthless player for us right now. He's plain bad defensively, and he's mediocre offensively. Schwartz played probably his best game as a pro last night, yet he's sitting.

I don't think we're going to be a lottery pick, especially with Halak coming back. I do think it's unfortunate that Elliott was the only option tonight, personally I don't think he played poorly at all. The 1st, 2nd, and 4th goals are not on him imo. Would have liked to see a save on the 3rd, but otherwise, we just didn't play well tonight overall.

Super frustrating, but we have to keep fighting.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
I have a feeling Gillis is pretty happy with how things are going with their goalie tandem. Who knows if Luongo is even going to be moved this season. It's interesting to speculate what a trade might entail but I don't think it's realistic at all.

While true, I think dangling Perron might get their attention. With all the stuff swirling around, it sounds like he might get shopped around a bit.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Personally, I think it's Perron.

But then again, I've felt like Perron has played nothing but selfish the entire season so far, so I'm biased.

it's definitely not perron. he's one of the few skating hard and battling every shift. it may be a little bit geared toward petro, and probably toward steen, berglund and stewart. idk just guessin.

superblues

:sarcasm: implied
Oct 29, 2011
While true, I think dangling Perron might get their attention. With all the stuff swirling around, it sounds like he might get shopped around a bit.

There've been rumors of Perron being shopped every season since his run ins with Murray. I know Army has a reputation for making big moves, but I'll believe it when I see it.

And now that I've said all that, watch it happen. :laugh:

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I think we can calm down a little bit. This team did go 6-1 to start the season. We played great when we were playing every night or every other night. Then all of a sudden we get like 1 game in 6 days and now we're playing like this.

Cole is a solid player, and needs to play more. Some games he plays well, some games he doesn't. He didn't have the best game today, but you could tell he's battling hard. He shouldn't come out of the line-up in my opinion unless he takes a Russell-type dive off a cliff.

Wade Redden is not the answer. He has played -very- poorly outside of his first two games.

AP looks like hot garbage. He needs to take care of his own zone first before jumping into the play. He is now a -3 on the season. In his last 5 he's -3, +1, -2, -2, -2. Not what we need from our cornerstone franchise player. Someone needs to sit him down and explain to him that Shattenkirk is outplaying him by a country mile right now.

Oshie and Sobotka are the only two forwards that I think have played well in every game. Steen is playing better then I think a lot of people are giving him credit for. He's been part of the roulette wheel of line combo's recently, and I don't agree with that Hitch making that much change for him.

Which leads me to my next point. I think Hitch totally screwed the pooch changing things all around to "get players in." I understand needing to give players rest, especially at the beginning of the season. However, we're not playing 6 games in 9 days anymore. D'ags is a worthless player for us right now. He's plain bad defensively, and he's mediocre offensively. Schwartz played probably his best game as a pro last night, yet he's sitting.

I don't think we're going to be a lottery pick, especially with Halak coming back. I do think it's unfortunate that Elliott was the only option tonight, personally I don't think he played poorly at all. The 1st, 2nd, and 4th goals are not on him imo. Would have liked to see a save on the 3rd, but otherwise, we just didn't play well tonight overall.

finally someone sensible. As much as im not a fan of elliotts play he did show up to play tonight. made some good saves and got bailed out by the cross bar once. Petro is my favorite player and i agree with your statement about him and I think perron has been very good since our first two games where he was just getting unlucky with those penalties and lastly steen has definitely been underappreciated, glad to see he finally got his scoring touch back, knew it was just a matter of time.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012

I agree with everything but the 1st and 2nd goal. Growing up and playing goalie my whole life those are saves you need to make. First okay yeah fivehole once but Ells has had trouble with the fivehole all season long, but to allow Jeff Carter to pull the same move on you twice is absurd.

I'm also tired of these defensemen trying to step up to make a big hit in neutral ice then getting burnt leaving it for a 3-0, 2-1, etc.

I'm sick of the dump and chase crap too. Last year we tried that with Payne and they looked like they do now. Hitch came in and we started crossing the blue line with confidence and putting hard shots on net and finishing with a strong forecheck.

I'm tired of seeing so many teams able to get a pass to the slot for a one timer, on a constant basis I see our players staring at the puck and not keeping their head on a swivel just gliding through the defensive zone while the other team slides a pass into the slot for a goal.

I'm tired of the same stupid penalties that keep getting taken every single game. Quit with the boarding, watch your sticks as well, I see too many players going in for a check and finishing with their stick in the air bringing it back down and end up high sticking someone.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Wow, just finished my accounting exam and I check the score to see another loss. This is getting ridiculous, Elliott clearly has no confidence, and our team has no confidence in him anymore. If this continues even with Halak back in goal, Armstrong better make a move.

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012

QFT.

Great post. I have faith that AP will pick it up, though.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I wonder if Hitch will just hit the reset button and send out the exact line up that we went with opening night. I really thought we would see that tonight.....I don't understand why he shuffled everything up in the first place honestly.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012

He's telling that to a reporter, who puts it on Twitter. He's not putting it directly to Twitter. I also doubt that's the first time he's said those things. I'm fairly certain that he has talked with just about every member of the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad