GDT: Game 12: Ducks (8-2-1) @ 'Hawks (10-0-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markus078

Feb 26, 2003
Austria
Visit site
Cogs is putting on a lot of the unnoticed work. He is an up and down pinball, he is forechecking and he creates the holes. His line is always good and they only can do the job done as long as everyone contributes. Cogs is doing it. Sure he will never be a big time scorer but he is a very important guy at this team. I see a lot of Todd Marchant's importance arising (aside from faceoffs). I think defensivly he will only get better. Cogs has found his place and that's great, great for his further development.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Cogs is putting on a lot of the unnoticed work. He is an up and down pinball, he is forechecking and he creates the holes. His line is always good and they only can do the job done as long as everyone contributes. Cogs is doing it. Sure he will never be a big time scorer but he is a very important guy at this team. I see a lot of Todd Marchant's importance arising (aside from faceoffs). I think defensivly he will only get better. Cogs has found his place and that's great, great for his further development.

I think that's the biggest thing. He's found his spot and is excelling with it.

Oct 18, 2011
Cogs deserved the goal, he won the battle in the corner against a much bigger player and then what does he do? goes straight to the net, his size does not hold him back and i'm happy to see him playing well

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Honestly, I'm not surprised Cogs is playing like this. I saw flashes of this kind of play last year. I think the difference was confidence. Playing with Winnik and Koivu and being a part of a winning formula probably lit a fire under him and now he brings it every night.

That said, it is sweet to be 9-2-1 and second in the league/conference after 1/4 of the season has concluded.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Cogliano's face after scoring that goal was priceless. How did Perry perform? Judging by some highlights, he looked pretty dangerous and could have scored if it wasn't for Crawford's great save. He also got a goal in the shootout obviously.

Great to see the boys getting a win here even though they couldn't beat them before overtime and shootout.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
Cogliano's face after scoring that goal was priceless. How did Perry perform? Judging by some highlights, he looked pretty dangerous and could have scored if it wasn't for Crawford's great save. He also got a goal in the shootout obviously.

Great to see the boys getting a win here even though they couldn't beat them before overtime and shootout.

It was def. Perry's best game of the season...lots of flashes of the Perry we all know and love. Got stoned by Crawford's leather in the first period, otherwise he would have had one.

Last edited:

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
- Getzlaf and Perry aren't producing a whole lot, I wish Murray brought in some proven left winger from the outside, but if someone in the organization is getting a shot it should be Maroon's turn.

- Cogliano got too much hate last season. He was playing with 4th liners at that point, surrounding him with linemates who can play is obviously going to make a differance.

- Lovejoy got his first two points as a Duck and had a good game. His first assist went by completely unnoticed in this thread, but he made a great play in the defensive zone (threw a hit on Frolik, stole the puck, and passed it up ice) leading up to the goal.

- Lydman recieves too much flaming for his penalties. The first one you could complain about him missing the puck, but after that the penalty was a must-take or there's a clear breakaway. On his second penalty Sharp was holding his stick, he tried to get it loose but got it up in Sharp's face in the process. Sure, he's responsible for his stick, but Sharp could easliy have gotten a 2 minute minor as well.

- Fasth was very sound again, but he gotta get better at closing that 5-hole in the shootout. He's been beaten there several times. Looks like the Blackhawks and Blues have figured that out already, both team's tried to go there quite a lot.

- Alltogether, it was a good win. It is anytime you can beat the conference leader on the road.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
So tired of this. It's obvious you aren't a Duck fan, your a Vatanen fan. Vatanen was timid at best when he was in the line-up. More seasoning in the AHL will instill confidence and improve his game and ultimately decision making. The decision was made in the best interest of the TEAM and the Ducks are successful right now without him. No one piece is more important than the whole.

You have no place here.

Kind of rude and aggressive post even though you have a point. For a majority of the fans from the Nordic countries I assume we tend to follow our favorit players from our home country more than having one specific favorit NHL team.

Of course there is many exceptions though. Millions of people from the Nordic countries have relatives in North America. A lot of us have been studying in North America etc. You could even say a lot of us helped building the country.

History lesson:

Talking about Sweden where I come from, about 1,3 million of Swedes moved to North America at the end of 1800 century and beginning of 1900 century. About 20% moved back to Sweden thus bringing a lot of American culture and influences to Sweden (Sweden is still very influenced by USA). At the 1990 U.S. population count recorded no less than 4.7 million Americans Swedish descendants.

Having said this, many people from the Nordic countries may actually have valid reasons for having a specific favorit NHL team. :)

The only reason right now I follow Ducks forums is because of Fasth though. :naughty:

Following my Swedish relatives I would have to be a Minnesota Wild fan. My grandfather's father moved to Minnesota, lived there about 20 years earned some money, moved back to Sweden and bought a piece of land. I'm not sure if I have any unknown relatives in the USA... hehe ;-)

Minnesota is the state with by far the largest population of Swedish ancestry, 9.6% of the entire population year 2005. The NFL team is named Minnesota Vikings for a reason, that's for sure. ;-)

At last, the Vikings discovered North America (Newfoundland, Canada) about 500 years before Columbus. ;-)

Last edited:

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
At last, the Vikings discovered North America (Newfoundland, Canada) about 500 years before Columbus. ;-)

Sure, Columbus was the last person to discover North America, I agree, but vikings did not discover it first either. It was the ancestors of First Nations.

/end Captain Obvious :)

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Ill be the first to admit im a little hard on cogliano, and hes usually the guy i throw on the chopping block... but hes played consistently lights out. Hes quick but hes small, but hes a hard worker and if he can ever find a decent scoring touch to fit his pay would be awesome.

Right now i can say im pretty happy with the line up, hopefully fowler will get healthy and be back soon, and eventually id like to find a LW for the top line that can get them to produce. I even liked the line of staubitz, belesky, bonino tonight.

PS: i still mis rakell

roto

Oct 26, 2009
I agree with "21". The reason why Finnish players bring Finnish posters here is that it's difficult to get attached to some team without a specific reason. We don't have an NHL city near us so it's hard get in love with some NHL team. Familiar players make us follow their teams in NHL and finally even make real fans even though the team hadn't Finns anymore. Some Finns criticize those who like Finn-teams like Ducks or Wild. They themselves may be fans of Penguins, Caps or Wings. Are they band wagoners, have they started to follow some team just because of Crosby, Ovechkin etc?

What is a valid and acceptable criteria for us foreigners to choose a team? In my opinion there must be some reason to start watching games of some particular team (especially if they're shown in the middle of the night like NHL here in Europe). Familiar players are a good reason. At least Ducks logo isn't so appealing that it'd attract fans without a team. Regarding Eenok, his posts don't make me laugh anymore.

But about the game: I'm afraid that the team doesn't keep winning for long without defenders able to properly handle and move the puck. Yes, Cam is injured and Vatanen is not so good enough defensively, but the especially the PP is often painful to watch. When Cam is injured, I'd give more games to Vatanen until Cam is healthy. Most of our defenders have some hands though and the team keep winning, so maybe I should start complaining when the losses start to pile up.

It's great to see that team can win in different kind of situations. I'm sure it gives a boost to players to know that we can win this game if we just continue the battle. Fasth is promising. He hasn't been stellar but he's consistent, reliable and good enough to be counted on.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Yeah, the "you have no place here" was too far. I didn't see that before, and I don't agree with it. Not that long ago this place was almost completely dead, and I'm happy to have new fans around (even if the GDTs are insanely cluttered now).

But Eenok isn't a fan, and I don't think he's even really a fan of Vatanen.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Yeah it has nothing to do with what team you're a fan of. The more the better. However posting something about Vatanen in every thread is annoying. It's one thing to show you want him here, it's another to cram it down everyone's throat.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
It's amazing what many players can do on this team when they are put in a role that is more suited for them.

Cogliano isn't a top six forward so putting him in a role where he's capable of and then rewarding with additional shifts has done wonders for him. Same for Koivu.

Allen is same way. He's not a top two defenseman, he's a 4/5. Same with Lovejoy. He's a bottom pairing defenseman. Only beef I have there is he shouldn't be on PP.

Sbisa looked ok. He's still too timid with puck. He reminds me of Fowler last year. Not bad though. Lydman hasn't been the same since his healthy scratch. Not god awful or anything but not one of our better defenseman either.

Souray and Beach were rocks as usual. I wish we could find a different partner for Fowler. Let Allen stay where he's comfortable.

Fasth, man he's winning me over fast. So calm back there.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
Also, some others have mentioned it...but this was Allen's best game by far. I hardly noticed him...and in Allen's case I think that means he played his game to a tee.

The defense in general was solid as a rock tonight. Lovejoy has fit in nicely for Anaheim...easily worth the fifth rounder.
i agree....i wonder how much allen's play in due in part to lovejoy (yeah i know he was paired with 1 of our top Dman)...i know a lot have been down on lovejoy, but i think he has filled a void very nicely and has looked good with allen....i guess the counter to that is allen is playing better making lovejoy look better but i think they are a decent bottom pair

gratefulyours

Great 8 = T. Selanne
Nov 9, 2010
Oakland
just watched the game =). skipping commercials on recording is sweet.

great game. fun to watch

getzy got drilled, haven't seen that in a long time - glad someone else jumped the guy so we could keep our captian out of the box.

perry looked good, actually dangerous at times - bodes well for my fantasy team.

fasth is a beast and bonino, holy juke monster in the shootout.

k im done, fun game to watch. we can hang in with the best of them.

getzforfighting*

i feel lydman feels like he is getting older out there and needs to overcompensate to make sure he doesnt get in trouble, and with that ends up getting in trouble anyway. Guys the strongest dman on our team but I dont think he notices it.

Selanne138

Nov 18, 2009
It's amazing what many players can do on this team when they are put in a role that is more suited for them.

Cogliano isn't a top six forward so putting him in a role where he's capable of and then rewarding with additional shifts has done wonders for him. Same for Koivu.

Allen is same way. He's not a top two defenseman, he's a 4/5. Same with Lovejoy. He's a bottom pairing defenseman. Only beef I have there is he shouldn't be on PP.

Sbisa looked ok. He's still too timid with puck. He reminds me of Fowler last year. Not bad though. Lydman hasn't been the same since his healthy scratch. Not god awful or anything but not one of our better defenseman either.

Souray and Beach were rocks as usual. I wish we could find a different partner for Fowler. Let Allen stay where he's comfortable.

Fasth, man he's winning me over fast. So calm back there.

Agreed with everything you said, except i dont mind Lovejoy on the powerplay on the second unit. It's not like anything else has really worked anyways. And when Fowler comes back Id like to see

Beauch-Souray
Fowler-Lydman
Allen-Sbisa

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
He'll be off that unit once Fowler comes back. Our blue line doesn't have any other options for shooters past Souray and Lovejoy at the moment.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
Agreed with everything you said, except i dont mind Lovejoy on the powerplay on the second unit. It's not like anything else has really worked anyways. And when Fowler comes back Id like to see

Beauch-Souray
Fowler-Lydman
Allen-Sbisa

that 3rd pairing could really potentially be bad.. with how much sbisa's been getting beat 1 on 1 this season, that could be real ugly

Selanne138

Nov 18, 2009
that 3rd pairing could really potentially be bad.. with how much sbisa's been getting beat 1 on 1 this season, that could be real ugly

Could be, but Sbisa is at his best when he's asked to focus on only the defensive part of his game, which is why Sbisa-Brookbank wasn't a bad pairing. Plus they'd be seeing significantly less minutes than the Top 4 at Even Strength if Boudreau wanted to do a strict Top 4/3rd Pairing situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad