Pre-Game Talk: GAME #12 - Canucks @ Devils - Thursday at 4 p.m, Sportsnet-VAN (sorry)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I would consider giving Luongo both starts. Get him to shake off the October blues by keeping him busy. If not, based on strength of competition I'd give Lack the NJ game and save Luongo for the Blues.

If our last meeting is any indication, the Devils were only in that game because Schneider stood on his head. We might need Luongo for the Blues game more than this one.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I have no problem with Lu, my problem is just a hypothetical problem of, if they play Lack agaisnt the St. Louis when they could have played him against the Devils, I'll have a problem with the coaching staff, has nothing to do with Lu or Lack, just with them benching Booth, which like I said I had no problem with but putting Alberts in over Weber was a big mistake IMO. The reason I want Lu to play against St. Louis is because he gives the team a better chance to win then Lack does and its against a team in our conference, so if Lack wins in OT or SO not as big as deal against the Devils then it would be to give up the point to St. Louis.

All this is just based on the fact that people want to see Lu vs Schneider again, and so if Lu, doesn't play both games in that case I think it would be a shame to potentially have Lack play the Blues and give up a point to them, where I think Lu has a better chance of not giving up that point.

Alberts over Webber was actually a decent way to go given the fact that we hadn't seen him in a real game yet this season. Torts knew that he wasn't going to play Webber or Alberts much so he went with the one he wanted to see more of.

J Canuck

Mar 19, 2013
the couch
Give Lack the NJ game and give Lu an extra day of rest before the more important StL game.

It's a grueling end to a grueling road trip, but gotta play for all 4 points. Either goalie can beat NJ, but Lu gives the team a better chance against the more important, more skilled and well rested StL team.

If the Canucks are running on empty by Friday, we might be needing a fresh goalie to steal a game for us.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I definitely advocating giving Lack New Jersey, unless we intend to run Lu through the gauntlet. St. Louis is far too good a team to risk an inexperienced backup on. A bigger concern is the status of Hansen. Losing him for any extended period of time will be devastating to our bottom six. Hopefully, it only looked worse than it was.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
I definitely advocating giving Lack New Jersey, unless we intend to run Lu through the gauntlet. St. Louis is far too good a team to risk an inexperienced backup on. A bigger concern is the status of Hansen. Losing him for any extended period of time will be devastating to our bottom six. Hopefully, it only looked worse than it was.

It makes sense.

But the nostalgic side of me would love to see Luongo and Brodeur square off for what will most likely be the last time ever.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Hansen has been given a 5 game suspension for that blindside elbow to the boards. Shanahan commented on the play, saying it was a dangerously vicious hit, and not a good hockey play. The end boards suffered a concussion and will be sidelined indefinitely.

Seriously, it sucks losing Hansen. Wanted to use the brave heart image...

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
@ctv_kelcey17m
Looks like we should see Part Deux of Lu v Schneids tomorrow. #NJDevils confirm Cory Schneider starts Thursday v #Canucks. @ctvbc

Not sure I agree with this, but there ya go.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
I think it makes sense to start Luongo versus the Devils and Lack vs the Blues for rest reasons. It lets Luongo have Friday thru Sunday off before the game against the Caps on Monday. That's the direction I'd lean, independent of what teams they're playing.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
This game should be called "Cory's revenge"

42 save SO for Schneider.

Luongo let's in a softy to Jagr.

2-0 final on an empty net goal.

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
After that NYI game, this could go any direction. Im gonna go big and predict a run and gun shootout, with both teams trading goals early and often. Booth with a 2g 1a to answer his benching. Alberts goes back to the pressbox, yet still ends up a -3 for the game.

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
Schneider is no Nabokov, so predicting a loss if we continue the way we played against CBJ and NYI.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I'd give Lack NJ. The only reason to start Luongo would be the whole "Luongo vs. Schneider" storyline, and we've already done that once this year. Give it to Lack, and give Luongo St. Louis on Friday.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
I'd give Lack NJ. The only reason to start Luongo would be the whole "Luongo vs. Schneider" storyline, and we've already done that once this year. Give it to Lack, and give Luongo St. Louis on Friday.

As I said, I don't think that's the only reason. They could give Luongo 3 days off if he plays NJ and not St. Louis. Over the course of a long season, that could pay dividends. I suspect the Canucks may defer to the sleep research here.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Schneider in tomorrow. I would say last game was the only particularly bad game he's played for us so far. He wasn't that great last night, but he's still by far the best option we have in net, and everybody has a bad game sometimes.

Honestly I wouldn't have any more confidence in the Devils scoring more goals if Lack did play over Lu. We got shutout by Al Montoya this year.:laugh: In a game Cory really deserved a win in.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
‏@BradZiemer4m
Jannik Hansen sent back to Vancouver for further evaluation. #Canucks calling it an upper-body injury. Won't say how long he will be out.

ShouldveDraftedFiala

Feb 20, 2007
Starting Lack against NJ just opens the door to a possible 2 games lost to end the road trip. It stinks of over confidence and looking past NJ as an easy win. Do we forget Columbus already?

Torts plays to win each game. You give Lu the start for NJ. If we win: start Lack in STL. If we lose: Lu plays back-to-back in STL.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Starting Lack against NJ just opens the door to a possible 2 games lost to end the road trip. It stinks of over confidence and looking past NJ as an easy win. Do we forget Columbus already?

Torts plays to win each game. You give Lu the start for NJ. If we win: start Lack in STL. If we lose: Lu plays back-to-back in STL.

I don't think it has anything to do with looking past anyone and looking for an easy win. The fact is that you're faced with a back-to-back situation. We've already started to see some injuries pile up, so why risk our No. 1 going in back-to-back games in two different cities?

You give Lack the first start, and start Luongo in St. Louis, IMO. It has nothing to do with being overconfident. If anything, it's sparing Lack from the onslaught that St. Louis will be sure to throw our way. They will be well rested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad