GDT: Game 11: Sharks vs. Penguins 7:00pm NBCSCA

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
You do realize that the NHL only give Chi, Edm or Pitts the 1st pick overall as the lottery drafts are rigged right? The Sharks in all of its 32 years of existence, NEVER pick 1st overall.

How many times have we been in the mix for #1?

The year we got Marleau I imagine.

The Lindros year there wasnt even a lottery. Sharks got told they couldn't have the 1 pick

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
How many times have we been in the mix for #1?

The year we got Marleau I imagine.

The Lindros year there wasnt even a lottery. Sharks got told they couldn't have the 1 pick

The Draft lottery didn't come around until after the 2005 lockout. Sharks had no shot at #1 in 1997.

Reactions: Saskatoon

Bizz

Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Matt Benning is unequivocally our best defenceman and it’s not even close.

Being the least shit out of a group of complete shit isn't something to flex about.

He's a defensive liability that would not even crack the lineup on all 31 other teams.

Reactions: hotcabbagesoup

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
Hmm, that was really quite the spectacle. Just finished it on the DVR. Nothing like dropping two ten spots on back to back home games.

What's Steve Spott doing these days? That PP is troublesome scoring all those goals tonight. Needs more go fast then drop pass... this seems like an area the Sharks should work on.

Time for Ferraro to be named 'C' while Cooter lives it up on the IR.

Viva la tank!

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis
Hmm, that was really quite the spectacle. Just finished it on the DVR. Nothing like dropping two ten spots on back to back home games.

What's Steve Spott doing these days? That PP is troublesome scoring all those goals tonight. Needs more go fast then drop pass... this seems like an area the Sharks should work on.

Time for Ferraro to be named 'C' while Cooter lives it up on the IR.

Viva la tank!
Cooter has no business being on this team with years of rebuilding on the horizon. When I play NHL video games, I trade away all these old veterans asap. Get draft picks and better draft positions.

Reactions: landshark

Bizz

Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Cooter has no business being on this team with years of rebuilding on the horizon. When I play NHL video games, I trade away all these old veterans asap. Get draft picks and better draft positions.

Yes, NHL GMs should base their decisions on what happens in some casual who has never even played the game, let alone manage a team, does in a Video Game.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Couture and Hertl don't have much value as assets.

Couture is a very good, top six, complementary center who can play all situations and has an excellent shot, but who is 34.5, has three years at $8 million, an NTC, and a extensive history of injuries. He's not a fast skater and doesn't drive play, though he is superb at capitalizing on chances created by playdrivers. Given his current injury and already low speed, I think his value is closer to Burns' - a mid-round pick, a middling prospect, and an offsetting depth roster player. Not a chance in hell we get a 1st back for him.

Hertl is a very good, top six, playdriving center, who can play all situations, has a good shot, wins faceoffs, and is a good playmaker. He is 30, has six years at $8.2 million, an NMC, and his own spate of injuries. He is slow and hasn't been driving play as effectively of late. I don't know what his value is, but given how expensive an acquisition he would be for any team, I would be shocked if we got a 1st back - maybe a late 1st with retention, an offsetting high 3rd, and eating a bunch of cap dumps, some with a bit of term - think the Karlsson deal but much less lucrative for us.

Reactions: coooldude and Bizz

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Couture and Hertl don't have much value as assets.

Couture is a very good, top six, complementary center who can play all situations and has an excellent shot, but who is 34.5, has three years at $8 million, an NTC, and a extensive history of injuries. He's not a fast skater and doesn't drive play, though he is superb at capitalizing on chances created by playdrivers. Given his current injury and already low speed, I think his value is closer to Burns' - a mid-round pick, a middling prospect, and an offsetting depth roster player. Not a chance in hell we get a 1st back for him.

Hertl is a very good, top six, playdriving center, who can play all situations, has a good shot, wins faceoffs, and is a good playmaker. He is 30, has six years at $8.2 million, an NMC, and his own spate of injuries. He is slow and hasn't been driving play as effectively of late. I don't know what his value is, but given how expensive an acquisition he would be for any team, I would be shocked if we got a 1st back - maybe a late 1st with retention, an offsetting high 3rd, and eating a bunch of cap dumps, some with a bit of term - think the Karlsson deal but much less lucrative for us.
When I watch Hertl, I just don't see the effort or motivation anymore. I think if he were to move to a contender, we'd see the old Hertl like what we saw with Burns

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
When I watch Hertl, I just don't see the effort or motivation anymore. I think if he were to move to a contender, we'd see the old Hertl like what we saw with Burns
You're probably right, though I think he'd remain slow, but regardless, that's not going to help his trade value as it's entirely speculative and something the buyer can use as leverage to lower the price.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007

I would love to watch this just to see a bunch of cocky college kids get their asses absolutely handed to them by the fourth line.

People are way underestimating the difference between an NHL roster (even one with half AHL bubble players like ours) and any other league. For example as bad as the last two games have been, there is no way this Sharks team isn't crushing in the AHL most nights. The jump is enormous.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Yeah, I think it's fair to say that some players--as humans, dictated by their personalities--are more prone to discouragement and letting a situation like this one really suck the life out of them. On top of that, he had a kid and might be at a point where it's much easier to be motivated by life at home than life on the rink. It's important to remember that these guys aren't all robots.

On a related note, I have to say that I've been impressed by Eklund's tenacity and spirit. Whereas you can see lots of veterans around him hanging their heads and quitting on plays and not putting in the needed effort, he's still out there, getting so little help on a nightly basis from his linemates when he makes plays that should be rewarded more often, playing the whole way through with real determination.

I just hope things don't get so bad that he loses that--but it's at least a great sign having someone like him in the middle of the rebuild. It'll only help and rub off on other young guys as they come through the system, I like to hope. (We also know that Musty is a fiery character, so these two could help balance out the more placid Smith--and maybe Bystedt, I'm not so sure about his demeanor.)

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Being the least shit out of a group of complete shit isn't something to flex about.

He's a defensive liability that would not even crack the lineup on all 31 other teams.
He’s miles better than anyone else out there and considering he’s tied for the 4th highest paid defenceman on the team, it’s significant. It’s not completely coincidental that the moment he’s out is when we start giving up ten a game.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
He’s miles better than anyone else out there and considering he’s tied for the 4th highest paid defenceman on the team, it’s significant. It’s not completely coincidental that the moment he’s out is when we start giving up ten a game.
I will never say that he’s the reason why, but it does raise an eyebrow.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Yeah, I think it's fair to say that some players--as humans, dictated by their personalities--are more prone to discouragement and letting a situation like this one really suck the life out of them. On top of that, he had a kid and might be at a point where it's much easier to be motivated by life at home than life on the rink. It's important to remember that these guys aren't all robots.

On a related note, I have to say that I've been impressed by Eklund's tenacity and spirit. Whereas you can see lots of veterans around him hanging their heads and quitting on plays and not putting in the needed effort, he's still out there, getting so little help on a nightly basis from his linemates when he makes plays that should be rewarded more often, playing the whole way through with real determination.

I just hope things don't get so bad that he loses that--but it's at least a great sign having someone like him in the middle of the rebuild. It'll only help and rub off on other young guys as they come through the system, I like to hope. (We also know that Musty is a fiery character, so these two could help balance out the more placid Smith--and maybe Bystedt, I'm not so sure about his demeanor.)
Yea I think that's been a standout trait for Eklund. The situation sucks but he's being professional and putting in the work regardless.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Agree, and to counterpoint for conversation sake, what else could the sharks do? Cap constraints aside, signing quality players is a two-way street, and since the Sharks weren't in a position like say Anaheim or Chicago to overpay for qulaity vets, they had really nothing attractive to offer a host of UFAs. And if they were to have traded what few good assets they have for stop-gap quality players, fans would be calling for Grier's head on a pike.
On D Gostisbehere, Mike Rielly or Dumba, even though they are not great, they have experience QB'ing a PP and can generate offense from the back end. Up front, veterans who are still viewed as NHL players would be good, or young guys with pedigree like Klim Kostin, Puljujarvi etc.

I'm not saying this would be easy, and who knows if they reached out and those people all said no. You just can't fill the roster with fringe NHLers.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I've been worried about Hockey's core demographic (Blue Collar, Middle Class families) that have been leaving the state over the last 8 or so years due to the increasing cost of living, crime, blight, and taxes. Even in 2019 when the Sharks made the Conference Finals they barely had any sell outs. And that was a damn good team.

I gave up my season tickets after years of having them. One of the final straws was that family owned STHs where being replaced by corporate STHs all around me. Common courtesy went downhill because of this.

Google, Apple employees constantly get up and go out during the middle of plays. They didn't care. Who in the heck wears their corporate badges at a Sharks game?

I got to see the latest Pixel and iPhones though. There was a constant activity of talking selfies and pictures with their friends, detached from the game.

Reactions: sjsharks92 and Bizz

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
I gave up my season tickets after years of having them. One of the final straws was that family owned STHs where being replaced by corporate STHs all around me. Common courtesy went downhill because of this.

Google, Apple employees constantly get up and go out during the middle of plays. They didn't care. Who in the heck wears their corporate badges at a Sharks game?

I got to see the latest Pixel and iPhones though. There was a constant activity of talking selfies and pictures with their friends, detached from the game.
I thought I read on one of those little cards that instructs you on the etiquette of hockey game attendance that if the same idiot gets up twice during play you can just push them down the stairs... I've not seen one of those cards in years tho, I might be misremembering.

• Haha
Reactions: Walking The Cow

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007

Sad to hear, also a problem at various sports events though. I've heard similar complaints about some NFL games, baseball for sure, even Premier League in the UK.

Overall, pro sports have chased the high margin customers with higher and higher ticket prices and they're hollowing out the fanbase in person. Shortsighted in my opinion, but what do I know. We also started giving up our season tickets. Can always buy back in later.

Reactions: Bizz

Bizz

Oct 17, 2007
San Jose

I gave up mine this year mainly because the economy is in the toilet and I just don't have the disposable income to be blowing money on things like that right now. Plus I didn't appreciate the Sharks undercutting STHs that were trying to sell games they couldn't attend by selling them below the allowable limit we could sell them for.

I'll still go to games but I'd much rather spend $12 a ticket on the resale market, hell I could get lower bowl tickets for most games for the $32 I was spending on the seats I had.

Last edited:
Reactions: sjsharks92

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad