Post-Game Talk: Game 11 | Sharks in Ottawa @ 7pm | SN1, SN360, TVAS

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
He was never classically "good" at defence.

He was always just so incredibly quick that it almost didn't matter what he did, he was always able to catch up to almost any defender, and like you said, be smart with his stick.

Now that he's lost that first-step speed after his Achilles and then foot injuries, he still hasn't altered his playing style to adjust to his new normal skating ability, and gets burned way more often because of it.
I honestly wasn't that mad that we traded him, I could see his play start to deteriorate the season following the cup run. I think a lot of people attributed it to his injuries and what transpired with his family which is understandable and not wrong but I think I tend to agree with the select few here who say we kind of dodged a bullet with him being traded and not signing him to that long term contract.

What did piss me off at the time though was the return we received and how management compiled a list of events that lead to him not wanting to stay. Now if the Sharks miss the playoffs and we get a top 5 pick then that's a different story.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Sharks and Erik will be fine. One has to figure out how to deal with a squealing newborn in the house, and the other is in cruise control until the games start to matter (closer to xmas).

Sharks will make the playoffs and get a round or two in. No Cup unless they get incredibly lucky though.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I honestly wasn't that mad that we traded him, I could see his play start to deteriorate the season following the cup run. I think a lot of people attributed it to his injuries and what transpired with his family which is understandable and not wrong but I think I tend to agree with the select few here who say we kind of dodged a bullet with him being traded and not signing him to that long term contract.

What did piss me off at the time though was the return we received and how management compiled a list of events that lead to him not wanting to stay. Now if the Sharks miss the playoffs and we get a top 5 pick then that's a different story.

I agree - I'd take our side of the package today over EK signing with us for $8x11. Norris is off to a great start, Balcers has potential, and the SJ pick may be a lottery pick in a great draft. DD and CT are decent players and may get flipped for more prospects. These EK years would be wasted in the rebuild anyway.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Sharks and Erik will be fine. One has to figure out how to deal with a squealing newborn in the house, and the other is in cruise control until the games start to matter (closer to xmas).

Sharks will make the playoffs and get a round or two in. No Cup unless they get incredibly lucky though.
His wife's very life was in danger throughout that pregnancy as well. That was probably fairly traumatic. Not making excuses but I doubt he's been focused on hockey for the last few months given how many complications came with the birth of his daughter.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
His wife's very life was in danger throughout that pregnancy as well. That was probably fairly traumatic. Not making excuses but I doubt he's been focused on hockey for the last few months given how many complications came with the birth of his daughter.

Were their complications with this baby, as well? I haven't read anything about this little one except for that one tweet when she was born.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Were their complications with this baby, as well? I haven't read anything about this little one except for that one tweet when she was born.
“It was stressful, especially since she wasn’t supposed to come at that time and everything,” Karlsson said. “But you know, (the doctors) did a good job in letting us know that (Melinda) was doing OK and we just needed a few hours to prepare everything and make sure that everything went accordingly. But yeah, it’s a scary feeling.”
Adding to that uneasiness was that Melinda has what Erik calls a “rare disease,” requiring her to take blood thinners throughout the pregnancy.
She had to wait a full 12 hours after finding out the baby needed to be delivered before the doctors could operate to reduce “the risk of her bleeding out,” Karlsson said.
It was not a comfortable wait. Melinda “was struggling a little bit. When you’re hooked up to monitors and you hear all the beeps and everything, it was not very pleasant.”
There was even a discussion between husband and wife that if the baby needed to come out before the 12-hour limit, Melinda would be willing to, as Karlsson put it, “go under.”
“If the kid had to come out, my wife would have told them to get her out and risk herself, which was not, you know, ideal,” he said.

After early delivery and 'true fear,' Erik and Melinda...

They had to do the cesarean section 5 weeks early then her and the baby were in the hospital for 2 weeks after. Scary having to be on blood thinners when you know a baby is coming.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Mark Stone was not offered market value, just like the other ufa's.

Claiming they didn't want to be here for FYOUS is just as unverifiable as that statement.

Agreed, I’ve said all along that fans know next to nothing about anything. There are very few ‘facts’ available out there, no matter how hard some folks try to argue their opinions otherwise.

The thing is, most players look to take the best offer out there, that ends up being the upper crust of what the market offered, and is often made by a single team. This offer is not ‘fair market value’, it’s the very best the market would offer.

I personally think that Ottawa made offers that we’re well in the ball park of acceptable, but never top shelf offers. I also think that none of these guys were interested in staying in Ottawa for a protracted rebuild, especially not at less than an overpayment.

If I was Stone I would have said and done the same, and taken that massive deal from Vegas. Say all the right things as long as possible, and than wave goodbye and say thanks for the memories.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Agreed, I’ve said all along that fans know next to nothing about anything. There are very few ‘facts’ available out there, no matter how hard some folks try to argue their opinions otherwise.

The thing is, most players look to take the best offer out there, that ends up being the upper crust of what the market offered, and is often made by a single team. This offer is not ‘fair market value’, it’s the very best the market would offer.

I personally think that Ottawa made offers that we’re well in the ball park of acceptable, but never top shelf offers. I also think that none of these guys were interested in staying in Ottawa for a protracted rebuild, especially not at less than an overpayment.

If I was Stone I would have said and done the same, and taken that massive deal from Vegas. Say all the right things as long as possible, and than wave goodbye and say thanks for the memories.

"Fans now next to nothing about anything..." followed by "The thing is, most players look to take the best offer out there, that ends up being the upper crust of what the market offered, and is often made by a single team."

Ok then... no logical inconsistencies to see here...

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
"Fans now next to nothing about anything..." followed by "The thing is, most players look to take the best offer out there, that ends up being the upper crust of what the market offered, and is often made by a single team."

Its projection

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Again, you’re too quick to try and argue without taking a moment to think things through.

Those are my opinions, and I present them as such. I don’t claim that my posts are ‘facts’.

You can apologize now.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Again, you’re too quick to try and argue without taking a moment to think things through.

Those are my opinions, and I present them as such. I don’t claim that my posts are ‘facts’.

You can apologize now.

It's not surprising that you're doubling down, but asking for an apology, wow.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
It's not surprising that you're doubling down, but asking for an apology, wow.

Yes, you were wrong, got called out, and should apologize for your over eagerness in trying to discredit me.

Gesus made a post essentially saying that none of us know enough about the negotiations to claim to be right on either side...

The first words in my post we’re agreeing with what he said. I then go on to share my opinion. On the subject.

You’re just so bad at this thing you try and do with me. You don’t follow the discussion, instead you try and jump on a single post and argue a point out of context. In this case you’re outright trying to shoehorn a hypocrisy where none exists.

I would typically expect better from someone who is supposed to be moderating things in here, but this has been your modus operendi for a while now towards me and a couple other posters.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yes, you were wrong, got called out, and should apologize for your over eagerness in trying to discredit me.

Gesus made a post essentially saying that none of us know enough about the negotiations to claim to be right on either side...

The first words in my post we’re agreeing with what he said. I then go on to share my opinion. On the subject.

You’re just so bad at this thing you try and do with me. You don’t follow the discussion, instead you try and jump on a single post and argue a point out of context. In this case you’re outright trying to shoehorn a hypocrisy where none exists.

I would typically expect better from someone who is supposed to be moderating things in here, but this has been your modus operendi for a while now towards me and a couple other posters.

Agrees that facts aren't available to make claims one way or another. Makes completely unverifiable claim leading with the phrase "The thing is" Yep, that was presented as an opinion, sure... if you say so...

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

The anti-jinx...I like your style.

Too bad Flames and Oil couldn't win tonight...Ducks did though!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad