Post-Game Talk: Game 11 | Sharks in Ottawa @ 7pm | SN1, SN360, TVAS

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
He probably wouldn't have gotten paid if there was no risk either.

Exactly. If Stone was signed, you could make the argument that the Sens were simply being savvy not signing Karlsson. There's simply no way that the team was going to sign Karl to an $11M/year contract, at least with the usual contract structure (no trade, lockout protection, etc.).

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
us looking awesome consistently may be a bit much to ask. promising that we look like weve bought into whatever the coach is selling what he is selling is NOT "send in one forechecker and absorb all pressure" thast enough for me also want flashes from young players

Well...consistently is a tough thing

Thru 11 games the goals against are way down and at home we look really good...it'll take time to elevate the road game but hopefully that will come

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Exactly. If Stone was signed, you could make the argument that the Sens were simply being savvy not signing Karlsson. There's simply no way that the team was going to sign Karl to an $11M/year contract, at least with the usual contract structure (no trade, lockout protection, etc.).

We will know in 2021 for sure if letting EK go was a good thing.

Stone left because he did not want to wait for FYOUS.

He would have been great for the team for another five years, and his leadership/legacy would have lasted for 10 years

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Karlsson had a few moments, a dangle here, a rush there, but the lack of man-to-man physical coverage was particularly glaring.

He does have a tendency to favour active stick defence over physical play, but there was a time where he could and did lay the body.

Not sure I saw any of that last night.

I also wonder if the Tkachuk hit had an impact on him at all as the game went on.

He had a few dangles, not sure he had any vintage EK rushes.

I loved the Tkachuk hit. Duclair got pasted....right back at ya says Chucky... and SJ laid off the big hit attempts for the rest of the game

Reactions: h2

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
We will know in 2021 for sure if letting EK go was a good thing.

Stone left because he did not want to wait for FYOUS.

He would have been great for the team for another five years, and his leadership/legacy would have lasted for 10 years
Whether we’re better off with or without Karlsson’s contract, I don’t for a second believe it was a hockey decision.

That is the reason we’re going to set records for empty sets.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Odds are good that the 2017 playoffs were the point of no-return for him: he has been struggling in terms of health since then.

I'm very confused why you'd say "I thought the same until the 2017 playoffs". My whole point was that, since then, he simply hasn't been the same and that he's 29 now. Father time doesn't slow down for anybody.

I don’t think his problem is being at the over the hill age of 29. His last season here was horrible because of the same type of lackadaisical, carefree attitude on the ice. You get the feeling that he thinks he is better than he really is...and his coach is going to have to get his attention

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Whether we’re better off with or without Karlsson’s contract, I don’t for a second believe it was a hockey decision.

That is the reason we’re going to set records for empty sets.

Of course you don't. Maybe when Melnyk and Conrad Black will publish a tell all book out together one day that give us the details.

Good luck! :thumbu:

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Of course you don't. Maybe when Melnyk and Conrad Black will publish a tell all book out together one day that give us the details.

Good luck! :thumbu:
I mean they could have just stuck with the same narrative throughout the whole saga if they truly could see the future. Instead they put themselves in a verbal pretzel every time they spoke about it, even admitting that other teams could outbid the Sens for Karlsson at one point.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I forgot how fun it was to see the team play well.

Also, San Jose may not be very good. Though likely very tired at the end of that stretch so hard to judge. PD must have been happy though.
Came at a good time too! I have a feeling it could be ugly against the Bruins lol.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
With all due respect to one of my favourite Senators ever in Erik Karlsson, but watching him play for San Jose has made me feel alot better about the trade.

Give me Chabot at 8 million over Karlsson at 10-11 million anyday, everyday.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I don’t think his problem is being at the over the hill age of 29. His last season here was horrible because of the same type of lackadaisical, carefree attitude on the ice. You get the feeling that he thinks he is better than he really is...and his coach is going to have to get his attention

He isn't over the hill; his body is breaking down. Not quite the same, everyone eventually gets over the hill but not everybody has their body breaking down as they turn 30.

Even Forsberg broke down.

Reactions: coladin

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
With all due respect to one of my favourite Senators ever in Erik Karlsson, but watching him play for San Jose has made me feel alot better about the trade.

You wont be saying that in a couple of months I'll put money on it

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
EK has never been a defensive d-man and never will be, the guy they have been pairing him with does have his back this season. EK is a puck moving, scorting d-man who needs a solid stay at home defensemen to to do the heavy lifting while he creates the offense. We seen this in Ottawa and is same in SJ and will never change and if you try your wasting his potential offensive abilities.

As matter of fact other then Burns and EK there is a system problem in SJ and other teams have figured it out and just rush EK and Burns as all passes lead back to those two. Their forwards are playing slow and relying on EK/Burns for all the offense right now and that is making it easy for teams to just focus on those two and shut down the Sharks.

Their problem is overspending, aging slowing roster and coach who is not willing to mix up his system.They are a bubble playoff team at best this year and that's if they get moving in the right direction.

In regards to EK , kind of reminds me of Alfie when he did not train hard in off season and injuries plagued him. Once he started to train much harder in the off-season his game elevated and injuries were fewer. Think they need to talk this over cause I have long believed EK offseason training is probably mostly done on the Golf Course. Still one of my fav Sens of all time but a bad season for the Sharks helps the Sens so I am okay with it.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
He isn't over the hill; his body is breaking down. Not quite the same, everyone eventually gets over the hill but not everybody has their body breaking down as they turn 30.

Even Forsberg broke down.

Even more reason to trade him when they could. It is October, and I really don’t think it is his health.

It is his brain, and he just doesn’t look very interested out there.

It hurts when star players are traded. Hell, it still looks absurd to see him and Stone in other jerseys. But tough hockey decisions have to be made. Whether it is trading Gretzky, Sittler, Lafleur, Jagr etc...it is never fun for the fans.

saskytaxi

Feb 13, 2019
sasky
Odds are good that the 2017 playoffs were the point of no-return for him: he has been struggling in terms of health since then.

I'm very confused why you'd say "I thought the same until the 2017 playoffs". My whole point was that, since then, he simply hasn't been the same and that he's 29 now. Father time doesn't slow down for anybody.
I meant that after those playoffs I questioned if he had always cared that much about his craft. Didn’t look like it last night but if he does im sure he will be fine.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!

I’m getting more and more into this train of thought as the days pass and I see more footage of EK65.

I can’t remember what goal it was for us, maybe Chucky, but he’s made no effort to tie up his stick in anyway and his defensive play is not to an NHL/Norris standard. Then there was Duclairs goal and he’s the third man back.

I don’t know if it was just rose tinted glasses when he played for us but I don’t remember him making so many mistakes in one game. There’s a thread on the main boards showing three in one game. He looks so disinterested.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I’m getting more and more into this train of thought as the days pass and I see more footage of EK65.

I can’t remember what goal it was for us, maybe Chucky, but he’s made no effort to tie up his stick in anyway and his defensive play is not to an NHL/Norris standard. Then there was Duclairs goal and he’s the third man back.

I don’t know if it was just rose tinted glasses when he played for us but I don’t remember him making so many mistakes in one game. There’s a thread on the main boards showing three in one game. He looks so disinterested.
His offense used to more than makeup for some defensive mistakes but now his defense is even worse. Overall its looking like Ottawa was smart, they got assets in return including 1st round pick from a team who's window was starting to close at the time of the trade (Sharks pick probably is #16 to #8) but the lottery could move it down a pick or up a few.

For Karlsson seeming disinterested, its probably his regret of re-signing with SJ. Even if the Sharks make the playoffs their window is slammed shut & they cannot be compared to the Blues last year because the Blues had Binnington while the Sharks have Jones/Dell giving up soft goals every game & they are stuck with Jones thru the 2023-24 season. The Blue's depth overall is much better, better team defense, better goalie etc. For now the Preds/Knights/Avs are the teams to beat in the west & had he not re-signed with SJ, & instead sign with Vegas he would be their #1 Dman as well probably winning his first cup with Vegas.

Reactions: Beville

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

He was never a strong prototypical defender. Couldn't out muscle bigger guys and never really engaged his body in front of the net. His best defense was his IQ which let him get away with using his stick rather than his frame.

He was definitely overrated defensively on this board.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
He was definitely overrated defensively on this board.

He was never classically "good" at defence.

He was always just so incredibly quick that it almost didn't matter what he did, he was always able to catch up to almost any defender, and like you said, be smart with his stick.

Now that he's lost that first-step speed after his Achilles and then foot injuries, he still hasn't altered his playing style to adjust to his new normal skating ability, and gets burned way more often because of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad