GDT: Game 11 | Red Wings @ Senators | November 4, 7:30pm EST | RDS2, TSN5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
I watched that gif several times when first posted and had no idea about the too many men. I thought it was posted because of how fast Hoffman was skating around

sanityplease

Jun 21, 2011
I can't believe you're arguing about it. What about it Detroit had scored a goal and you would see 6 of them celebrating!!

I'm pretty sure the goal would have counted.

Or what if they iced the puck on that play? Rules state that they all have to stay on the ice, lol.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Looks to me like he recognized he wouldn't catch up to break up the play so went to the top of the crease to clear any rebounds. As the 3rd guy back it seems like a better idea than busting his ass to be there too late anyway. Ryan had the best chance at providing back pressure imo, but was too far back (great effort though), Karlsson probably doesn't add anything if skates harder (still probably doesn't get there).

Skating 110 mph isn't always the best defensive choice, even if it does look like your putting more effort in. Had Ryan not been ahead of him, I'd probably want him to try and get in the lane, but at some point he has to let his team mates do what they are in a better position to do.

Were lucky not everybody on the team thinks that way then lol

He plays a lot of minutes and hes our biggest offensive threat but...

If your sooo tired youre gone backcheck like kovalev just take to 3 sec when the puck is in the wings zone (6secondes before that backcheck) and get out of the ice for god sake

Youre putting us at risk by staying on the ice being exhausted

Youll go back on the ice in 30 seconds if we need you for 26 minutes but for now just change

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Were lucky not everybody on the team thinks that way then lol

He plays a lot of minutes and hes our biggest offensive threat but...

If your sooo tired youre gone backcheck like kovalev just take to 3 sec when the puck is in the wings zone (6secondes before that backcheck) and get out of the ice for god sake

Youre putting us at risk by staying on the ice being exhausted

Youll go back on the ice in 30 seconds if we need you for 26 minutes but for now just change

Yeah, Idk if it was in this thread or another, but I already admitted it after seeing
another angle and realizing that I had mixed up the two on my viewing. They sorta crossed paths off camera and I thought Karlsson was Ryan for the first chunk of the clip (only saw the 6 and not the 5 on his jersey). My bad, Karlsson could and should have skated harder there. Maybe he was gassed, but if that's the case go for a line change instead joining the rush.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
This only happens when the attacking team is the one getting the infraction (otherwise it would be a delayed penalty, obviously). The thing is, the linesman is only going to be focused on that aspect at the time of the line change, so if it's missed at that point it can be a bit before it's picked up (and then usually because the oppositions bench is screaming bloody murder). Truth is, this was about 10 secs with action going end to end. I'm more surprised the sens bench didn't notice than the refs. Teams benches are usually all over potential too many men calls as it's a freebee.

Wow lol

With your logic that the linesman only focus on it at the line change for about 2-3 sec and then forget about it . If he miss it then the play keep going on right?

Would be hilarious if 4 wings had come off the bench at exactly the same time while the linesman is asleep then the play continue 9 on 5 :shakehead

You trying to excuse their mistakes is overboard

And unlike me the refs chose a job in the limelight

Your explanation is godlike nonsense

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Wow lol

With your logic that the linesman only focus on it at the line change for about 2-3 sec and then forget about it . If he miss it then the play keep going on right?

Would be hilarious if 4 wings had come off the bench at exactly the same time while the linesman is asleep then the play continue 9 on 5 :shakehead

It was a mistake that happens, not sure why you're so worked up about it. It had no bearing on the game. You trying to condemn them because of a missed call is overboard. The game is over, move on. I'm sure there are more pressing things to complain about.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Or what if they iced the puck on that play? Rules state that they all have to stay on the ice, lol.

That one is easy: they all come back on the ice (as stupid as it's sound) and they would get a penalty right after the whistle is blown.

:)

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
It was a mistake that happens, not sure why you're so worked up about it. It had no bearing on the game. You trying to condemn them because of a missed call is overboard. The game is over, move on. I'm sure there are more pressing things to complain about.

Im sorry for debating on an open forum where a guy is arguing with me

Wont happen again I promise daddy

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Im sorry for debating on an open forum where a guy is arguing with me

Wont happen again I promise daddy

I wasn't directing it at you debating, I can see the type of poster you are in your short time here. I was stating that it is a silly thing to complain about. It's going to happen, both for and against the Senators, no need to get so defensive and abrasive over something so trivial.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Wow lol

Whatever you want to beiieve. Linesmen have a lot to watch for, and aren't constantly counting jerseys all night long. They pay extra attention at the change when the risk is highest, and it becomes much more difficult to notice after that as they have other priorities to focus on, particularly given the flow of the game at that time.

As already pointed out, this happens more often than you'd like to admit, but the players bench starts screaming and the lineman then does a quick count resulting in a penalty being called. Our bench just didn't notice, which imo is the rarer part of the equation.

The point isn't making an excuss for the mistake, but rather pointing out that people are going overboard about it. The still pic is funny to see, some people didn't even know what they were looking for with the animated gif. The refs screwed up at a critical jucture and nobody in the building seemed to notice for the next 10 secs.

It seems there are two groups here; people who can't fathom why refs would ever make a mistake or miss something, and people who realize sometimes poop happens.

Also, nice strawman on the 9 players comment; if you want to get an idea of what going overboard is, take a look in the mirror.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I've never understood this logic. It's the same logic that seems to govern the discipline process. "No one was hurt so what's the big deal?" Classic reaction vs. prevention.

I'm not saying it wasn't a missed call, it certainly was. Missed calls happen every game, it's the nature of human policing. This isn't a machine where every mistake is picked up and ticketed, it is a human reaction that is forced by seeing things. It is impossible to see everything and always make the right call, it's human nature.

How do you suggest we prevent missed calls from happening? Other than retrospective penalties (ew) I am drawing a blank.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I watched that gif several times when first posted and had no idea about the too many men. I thought it was posted because of how fast Hoffman was skating around

Loool, me too.

Hoffman is gonna be special if he keeps progressing. He seems to be having at least 1 dominant take-over shift a game over the course of the last 3-4 games.

I honestly never would have thought Hoffman would be this successful so far.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Whatever you want to beiieve. Linesmen have a lot to watch for, and aren't constantly counting jerseys all night long. They pay extra attention at the change when the risk is highest, and it becomes much more difficult to notice after that as they have other priorities to focus on, particularly given the flow of the game at that time.

As already pointed out, this happens more often than you'd like to admit, but the players bench starts screaming and the lineman then does a quick count resulting in a penalty being called. Our bench just didn't notice, which imo is the rarer part of the equation.

The point isn't making an excuss for the mistake, but rather pointing out that people are going overboard about it. The still pic is funny to see, some people didn't even know what they were looking for with the animated gif. The refs screwed up at a critical jucture and nobody in the building seemed to notice for the next 10 secs.

It seems there are two groups here; people who can't fathom why refs would ever make a mistake or miss something, and people who realize sometimes poop happens.

Also, nice strawman on the 9 players comment; if you want to get an idea of what going overboard is, take a look in the mirror.

Just stop reading my post if you cant stand them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad