GDT: Game 11 | Red Wings @ Senators | November 4, 7:30pm EST | RDS2, TSN5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
4 zebras on the ice and no one caught that.

How many posters watching the game missed that one until a gif was posted 10 mins later?

What surprises me, is usually the opposition starts yelling until the linesman counts. Our bench was asleep on that one, they should have noticed and alerted the linesman.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
When i saw the tweet from pageau yesterday I thought it was fake

I mean they are 4 to call the game FOUR

Its not like it happened near the bench where its borderline penalty

Plus the disallowed goal....:shakehead

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
When i saw the tweet from pageau yesterday I thought it was fake

I mean they are 4 to call the game FOUR

Its not like it happened near the bench where its borderline penalty

Plus the disallowed goal....:shakehead

Yeah, the reffing was uneven at best last night. Missed calls, weak calls, strange decisions.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Intent to blow the whistle = blown whistle. So if the referee had intent to blown the whistle before the goal was scored then the goal is disallowed.

But no one is sure why the ref wanted to blow the whistle:

1. injury ( as an ex-soccer referee) I didn't think there wasn't a significant injury on the play, Head wasn't hit.
2. Some people said that the goalie's skate was stuck in the net: not sure how it matters.
The worst part is that the defenseman who ran into his own goalie was water-skiing on his back (always gets you points at the summer Olympics!) with MacArthur's stick. So there should have been a penalty BEFORE even the goalie incident.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Last night was probably on of the most passionate performances you'll see from a captain.
Go back and watch THE WHOLE game, not just 1-2 bad plays from Karlsson.
He was incredible

I'm not even talking about his play, just the way he carries himself. It's been a while since I've seen actually celebrate a goal, I mean you don't want to act like it's your first goal but show some excitement. Things like that I'm not seeing from him that I use, he just seems down and it is carrying over to his play. Listen I like Karlsson as much as the next guy but I've been disappointed in his play so far this season.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
How many posters watching the game missed that one until a gif was posted 10 mins later?

What surprises me, is usually the opposition starts yelling until the linesman counts. Our bench was asleep on that one, they should have noticed and alerted the linesman.

It is the referees job to catch these things not the fans nor forum posters

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It is the referees job to catch these things not the fans nor forum posters

Fans seem to catch every hook trip or hold, imagined or real and they all missed it live; does it not seem fair to give the refs some leeway for a missed call? A lots going on, sometimes things get missed. Too many men calls usuall happen right at the time of the change, if it's missed at that point, it's harder to pick up on because their focus isn't on that aspect anymore.

Blown call, but as I said, there are 16000+ spectators, a bench of Sens players and coaches and thousands of viewers that all missed it. Seems it wasn't as obvious as you suggest.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That holding call at the very end of the game against us was also complete garbage, it was on Cowen I think.

Yeah, Cowen got it. I could see it being called in a game they were calling tight, but at that point, they had already set the tone. I think maybe it got called because of how long Cowen was "on" him. The ref may have been yelling let him go, or some thing to that effect, and Cowen didn't realize that he meant him. Weak call given the circumstances.

BigBush*

That holding call at the very end of the game against us was also complete garbage, it was on Cowen I think.

Yup, awful. Cant stand when refs make bad calls at the end of the game that could change the outcome.

Ill cut them some slack because i think the ref was looking at it from the wrong angle, but from the right angle you could clearly see it was just Cowens arm touching Adblekader, and then Adblekader did this weird fall/slide thing that was probably a dive.

Poor Cowen gets so many calls against him just because he's big and akward:laugh:

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
So i suppose it would be smart to wait a little while longer before we start bumping those ottawa sucks threads from the main board.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Fans seem to catch every hook trip or hold, imagined or real and they all missed it live; does it not seem fair to give the refs some leeway for a missed call? A lots going on, sometimes things get missed. Too many men calls usuall happen right at the time of the change, if it's missed at that point, it's harder to pick up on because their focus isn't on that aspect anymore.

Blown call, but as I said, there are 16000+ spectators, a bench of Sens players and coaches and thousands of viewers that all missed it. Seems it wasn't as obvious as you suggest.

A hook or a trip is an isolated play that everyone is usually focused on since they occur when someone has the puck so of course it seems like they catch everything. Majority of penalties are called against players who are either chasing or have control of the puck.

Again, spectators, players and to a much lesser extent the coaching staff are not responsible for catching on ice infractions. I'm sure there was a large number of spectators who did catch the too many men but were not vocal about it.

Years of terrible officiating (especially against Ottawa) has made me less forgiving.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Yeah, Cowen got it. I could see it being called in a game they were calling tight, but at that point, they had already set the tone. I think maybe it got called because of how long Cowen was "on" him. The ref may have been yelling let him go, or some thing to that effect, and Cowen didn't realize that he meant him. Weak call given the circumstances.

Yeah you never know without actually being on the ice, but from the replay perspective it was pretty bad I thought. I usually don't harp on the refs, but I always enjoy beating Detroit for personal reasons so I wanted to make sure we got the win. :D

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014

Were there to enjoy the ride watch what we decide to watch

Zebras are PAID FOR lookingat that stuff

4 of them

Its their job

Its not rocket science or brain surgery

6 white vs 5 black!!! Hello!!!!

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Were there to enjoy the ride watch what we decide to watch

Zebras are PAID FOR lookingat that stuff

4 of them

Its their job

Its not rocket science or brain surgery

6 white vs 5 black!!! Hello!!!!

Too many men is primarily a lineman responsibility, the refs have lots of other things to focus on. Even at that, it's likely the back linesman who's responsible as the other one is focused on offsides.

One guy screwed up, the other 3 didn't notice after the fact, just like most fans, except that they had a million other things to watch for. Mistakes happen, and you can be critical of that, but when you have the benefit of replay and other people post clips, I don't think it's being entirely fair to say they don't deserve a little leeway missing something everyone (well most people it seems) missed at the time. I'm sure you have or will screw up at your job at some point, hopefully video evidence doesn't get thrown out on the web for the world to see.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Too many men is primarily a lineman responsibility, the refs have lots of other things to focus on. Even at that, it's likely the back linesman who's responsible as the other one is focused on offsides.

One guy screwed up, the other 3 didn't notice after the fact, just like most fans, except that they had a million other things to watch for. Mistakes happen, and you can be critical of that, but when you have the benefit of replay and other people post clips, I don't think it's being entirely fair to say they don't deserve a little leeway missing something everyone (well most people it seems) missed at the time. I'm sure you have or will screw up at your job at some point, hopefully video evidence doesn't get thrown out on the web for the world to see.

I can't believe you're arguing about it. What about it Detroit had scored a goal and you would see 6 of them celebrating!!

I'm pretty sure the goal would have counted.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa

It's their job to notice things though...

Nobody ever says "well you can't play like Karlsson!" to defend Karlsson's poor play.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I can't believe you're arguing about it. What about it Detroit had scored a goal and you would see 6 of them celebrating!!

I'm pretty sure the goal would have counted.

I think you guys are missing the point; they screwed up, everyone agrees. My point is things get missed from time to time, let it go. Had the pic never been posted, nobody here is likely talking about it. Think about that for a sec, 10s of thousands of people who live breath and eat hockey, and are expert sofa refs didn't notice.

It sucks that it was missed, but it's not that different from a high stick to the puck carrier (who is the focus of play unlike this situation). It gets missed, move on.

It's their job to notice things though...

Nobody ever says "well you can't play like Karlsson!" to defend Karlsson's poor play.

I really don't get your point... It's their job, they messed up, but it's only obvious with the benefit of replay and pictures. Everyone is acting like these guys are boneheads, but they missed the extra man at the critical juncture (when the line change occurred) and after that it becomes far more difficult to notice particularly as that's no longer a focus. I believe it was about 10 secs before the extra redwing noticed and got off the ice as play went end to end to end.

The point is this is an easier mistake to make than people believe and there's a lot of overreacting going on.

Last edited:

SenatorArmy*

I'm not surprised when too many men penalties are missed because officials & linesmen are often focused on one part of the play, they don't have the overhead view that the fans have & so many times you don't even heard the call getting made until the players on the bench start yelling.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Pretty amazing how long they had 6 skaters on the ice. And in other games, a guy steps on the ice half a second early and it's called.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Pretty amazing how long they had 6 skaters on the ice. And in other games, a guy steps on the ice half a second early and it's called.

This only happens when the attacking team is the one getting the infraction (otherwise it would be a delayed penalty, obviously). The thing is, the linesman is only going to be focused on that aspect at the time of the line change, so if it's missed at that point it can be a bit before it's picked up (and then usually because the oppositions bench is screaming bloody murder). Truth is, this was about 10 secs with action going end to end. I'm more surprised the sens bench didn't notice than the refs. Teams benches are usually all over potential too many men calls as it's a freebee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad