Post-Game Talk: Game 11: Penalty Killing Moon | Blackhawks vs. Avalanche | 11/3/16 7:30 p.m. (CSN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Allen

Oct 24, 2011
Los Angeles
Keith and Soupy complement each other surprisingly well. I really like the way they drive offense together.

Really not a fan of Schmaltz. I know I'm in the minority there, but I'm concerned he's going to bust. He has some good skills, but also long stretches of laziness and a lot of bad decision making.

The kid has a long stride, maled him look a lot slower than e actually is moving. He'll be good once je acclimates to the show and stops playing with 4th liners

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
For the most part, a very good game. But we really need to come out stronger. I don't know why we sleep walk through the early part of the game. It puts a lot of pressure on Crow. Fortunately, Crow is on FIRE. He's just so well positioned for every shot. And he always seems to steer the rebounds to benign areas.

That's my only complaint. Crow isn't going to be able to hold the fort down every game and we are going to be behind 2-0 early in a few games if we don't start playing better of the drop.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
You are joking right?
If not him, someone with a very similar tag posted that. I was dumbstruck, too--especially since at the time the 'hawks hadn't won a cup in almost 50 years.

Avs fan coming in peace. For those asking about our new coach, he led the Cleveland Monster's to a Calder cup victory last year but does not have any previous NHL HC experience. We've been happy with his style and coaching thus far...much better x's and o's coach then Roy!

My family is originally from Chicago...and boy, what a game/series! Could not be more stoked for our Cubs and fanbase. Congrats guys!

Now, with that said. Hopefully your boys had a few too many to drink last night and will be slow! muwahaha
No problem. IMHO your coach needs to give the Varmint a rest and give Pickard a couple games. I got to see a lot of him in the WHL when he played with the Thunderbirds for Seattle--was hoping the 'hawks would have gotten him instead of Carruth form Portland or Simpson from Everett. Kid has some talent.

I've wondered if some of these frequent posters are bots meant to increase site traffic/audience participation. /tinfoil hat

Input an over-the-top contrarian personality...boom, always a captive bunch ready to respond to such nonsense.
I don't think a bot could come up with something so inane as winning a stanely cup hurts you in the draft--as if the draft was the most important thing in hockey--not winning the greatest friggin' trophy humanity has come up with.

My only concern is the amount of shots this team is giving up.
It was the same last year and in 2015; thankfully Crawford's proven up to the task, but I do agree--the D and transition games need to be a bit tighter.

All in all loved this win.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Keith and Soupy complement each other surprisingly well. I really like the way they drive offense together.

Really not a fan of Schmaltz. I know I'm in the minority there, but I'm concerned he's going to bust. He has some good skills, but also long stretches of laziness and a lot of bad decision making.

Schmaltz has not been lazy at all and his decision making has been good. Interesting that those are the two things you keyed in on. Schmaltz biggest issue so far is consistency. He has times where he carries play but he then has times where quiet. This goes with being a 20 year old rookie. I like what I see out of him so far.

Maybe you are confused by his long stride that makes it seem like he is gliding but you are failing to notice he is moving faster than most people on the ice.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Schmaltz should have been developing on Rockford...not learning on the job in the NHL.. I still think of we can sign John Hayden he will be a better solution on the 3rd line ...Schmaltz was never a proven goal scorer in the NCAA..more an assists guy ..but at the NHL level he has not really looked the playmaker part either..needs a lit more featured minutes of development time. .has to be either a top 2 line C or will be a bust ..doubt he turns himself into a bottom 2 line checking centre who can also chip in goals. ..Hayden much more suited to a 3C projection ..

Hayden is no where close to the player that Schmaltz is. Rockford would provide very little in regards to Schmaltz because the speed of the game is not fast enough. He needs to be in the NHL learning because as we have seen already he has the ability to quietly take over shifts and rushes. He is already good on the back check and you can see he is really starting to learn how to dictate play direction on the forecheck. He has a long easy stride that makes it look like he is not skating hard but if you watched the game you would see that he is consistently gaining on everyone and beating people to pucks. Consistency is his biggest issue but Q seems ok putting him out in most situations and with letting him learn. Hayden over Schmaltz....this is just a stupid thought. Schmaltz needs to be in the NHL.

What I would like to see is how they re-tool if theyy land Shipachyov when his KHL deal expires in December ...And where to use Desjardins. If Kruger is 3C you do not get much scoring from him anyway ...neither would you get that much scoring from Desjardins but he ought to be less deer in the headlights than Schmaltz as a 3 or 4 C depending on which one of those C roles is designated to Kruger.

I have been mentioning Shipa for a while now. He would be a good addition. Play him on the 3rd line with Motte and Schmaltz and you have a fast 3rd line that can put up points while playing solid D. You also insulate the line by having 2 centers.

Yes you can hope Schmaltz improves by playoffs..but if not then you have played a non-optimal lineup for shot suppression and it will be more hemmed in our own zone when Schmaltz is on. .He simply is not really "ready" and learning on the job is difficult to watch.

Anyway...Desjardins back probably by Sunday game and so probably Hinostrozza sent down to tge Rock...Schmaltz should be sent down too...has to get lots of minutes to see IF he improves as a pro ..or not..He should be in Rockford too at this stage.

He is already showing improvement. 10-15 minutes in the NHL would be much better for him than 20 minutes in Rockford. Sending him down would hurt his progression. You say it is difficult to watch and I question what you are even watching because he has made consistent strides so far.

He does need to improve at the dot.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I don't think a bot could come up with something so inane as winning a stanely cup hurts you in the draft--as if the draft was the most important thing in hockey--not winning the greatest friggin' trophy humanity has come up with.

Bots would at least have complete sentences and 75% of the words spelled correctly.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
tumblr_mv6k5pcTQP1rs8jbdo1_500.gif

SHUT OUT!!!
I was at the game due to some last minute cheap tickets. Corey was ****ing awesome.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Solid win after a less than ideal start to the game. I like the progress of Ras this season - he is finally playing real sound hockey after showing only glimpses of it previously. I think Hartman had a strong showing as well which was also good to see. The progress of this team looks promising but Hawks have had a very soft schedule, hence gotta squelch my enthusiasm for now.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
I am not a huge fan of Schamltz's play so far. But he is so damn young. Right now, he is not hurting the team, and he shows flashes of the skill that is in there. I like that they are still playing him every night. We need kids in our lineup, and if he can get comfortable, he will be good.

I ****ing love Motte and I am so glad he is doing well. He is relentless on the puck. He makes some boneheaded moves sometimes, but the passion is there and the skill is there. Still very early in his career as well. I don't think he is a top line player, but where he is now is perfect.

Ras has improved exponentially from last season. I recall one really great back check from him last night that stopped a high quality scoring chance. He will never be a flashy player, but we don't need him to be.

I still ****ing love Hartman and I feel like a proud parent because he is playing well and I have really enjoyed him since WJC before he was drafted.

Corey is ****ing awesome.
Keith is still really damn frustrating, but really damn good and thats why we love him.
Kempny gets beat a lot, but he always seems to recover and not look horrendous. Still getting used to the NHL game, but he is also not hurting the team.

I like these lines how they are. Hossa was a ****ing monster last night and it was awesome to see. If Hoss is going, the team is going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad