Post-Game Talk: GAME 11 - Les Bruins pondent un œuf de brontosaure à la maison - Poutineville 3 BRUINS 0 F

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Watching the Bruins Saturday night was disappointing on many fronts. But to see Montreal's D just pounding on the Bruins forwards with not an inkling of a push back. Then reading the Herald article this morning only confirms just what I watched. Sweeney are you awake? This has nothing to do with the injured defense.
Bruins fail their physical

Last edited:

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
I think you nailed it. If theres a Purgatory for goalies , he's in it.
And yet, when you look at his career stats, he's put together some excellent numbers. Good winning percentage despite years with the habs and the Isles, ahead of Price, Rask and Miller in career shutouts too (44 shutouts in only 150 wins. 30% of his wins are shutouts....)

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
And yet, when you look at his career stats, he's put together some excellent numbers. Good winning percentage despite years with the habs and the Isles, ahead of Price, Rask and Miller in career shutouts too (44 shutouts in only 150 wins. 30% of his wins are shutouts....)

Easier to shut out the scrubs than it is playoff teams. Backups by definition aren't exactly playing against the cream of the crop.

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
Some players are just slow starters, and it's like that in all sports.

That's no excuse. If you know that you are traditionally a slow starter, it is your job is to work on your game and be ready to play. That is on the player. A 7 million cap hit demands as much IMO.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
That's no excuse. If you know that you are traditionally a slow starter, it is your job is to work on your game and be ready to play. That is on the player. A 7 million cap hit demands as much IMO.

Or you manage around it like the Sox do with Sale.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
Easier to shut out the scrubs than it is playoff teams. Backups by definition aren't exactly playing against the cream of the crop.
We'll disagree here. I think there are very few completely scrub teams in the NHL.
Even if I were to concede your point, doesn't it just say that Halak wins the games he is supposed to win?

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
I see no reason to have to manage around it when we are talking about a 7 million dollar cap hit. There is no excuse not to be ready.

It's the same as any other player. They ALL have things that need to be managed around.

For example, you don't think Marchand needs to be "managed" differently than other players?

Chara? See much of him on the power play the last few seasons?

Every.....single....player.....regardless of cap hit......needs to be managed differently. Tuukka for whatever reason is a slow starter. They've tried a few different things to get him going earlier, but they don't always work. It happens. You take the good with the bad. In his case, it's him going on insane stretches of play once he is up to speed/warmed up/whatever. No sense having him over work himself in September and October if it results in him being burned out for the playoffs.

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
We'll disagree here. I think there are very few completely scrub teams in the NHL.

It's called "exaggeration for effect". JFC. No, I'm wrong. Every team is equal in the NHL. Teams put no thought into which goalies go against Washington vs the Coyotes.

Even if I were to concede your point, doesn't it just say that Halak wins the games he is supposed to win?

No, it says the team does.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
I'm always amazed at how Halak has bounced around the NHL. He's been good wherever he has gone but it's almost like clubs ditch him because he's too good to be a backup but not good enough to be a no.1 and poses a threat to the No.1 goalie.
Look at him and Price, him and Allen, and now him and Rask.
He doesn't have the stamina to be a #1 goalie.

Once he's played more than 40 games, he's toast.

He is an elite #2 goalie (whatever that means) however.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Needs his workload managed, no more than 60 games, needs a mulligan for October, maybe longer to get into the season. Anything else we can do to let our 7 mill elite goaltender be great again?

Reactions: fin8

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
It's called "exaggeration for effect". JFC. No, I'm wrong. Every team is equal in the NHL. Teams put no thought into which goalies go against Washington vs the Coyotes.

No, it says the team does.
Having seen them up close recently, I think choosing the Coyotes here may be a bit of dwelling on the past. They've actually become a decent, solid NHL team. I think you both have a bit of a point though. Backups usually (but not always) draw the easier team when the schedule calls for it. That said, the "easier" team is still an NHL team that can beat you on any given night.

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
It's the same as any other player. They ALL have things that need to be managed around.

For example, you don't think Marchand needs to be "managed" differently than other players?

Chara? See much of him on the power play the last few seasons?

Every.....single....player.....regardless of cap hit......needs to be managed differently. Tuukka for whatever reason is a slow starter. They've tried a few different things to get him going earlier, but they don't always work. It happens. You take the good with the bad. In his case, it's him going on insane stretches of play once he is up to speed/warmed up/whatever. No sense having him over work himself in September and October if it results in him being burned out for the playoffs.

All the other players you mentioned have all been managed in one way or another, I agree.

The other thing they have in common is the fact that they are preforming to the level they should be.

Rask is not. That's a big difference wouldn't you agree?

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
The exact same crowd came out last October against Rask. Then he started playing well and they all went quiet.

If Rask is still playing poorly after November I'll worry about it.
Let's call them the "What Have You Done Lately For Me ?" crowd, or "Look At Me Posting" crowd.

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
The exact same crowd came out last October against Rask. Then he started playing well and they all went quiet.

If Rask is still playing poorly after November I'll worry about it.

Well that logically make sense wouldn't it? Complain when he's bad and not complain when he's finally playing slightly above average. He seems to go too much as the team in front of him is going for better or worse. Not the game stealing independent entity I would want my 7 million dollar Vezina goalie to be.

Reactions: fin8

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
Having seen them up close recently, I think choosing the Coyotes here may be a bit of dwelling on the past. They've actually become a decent, solid NHL team. I think you both have a bit of a point though. Backups usually (but not always) draw the easier team when the schedule calls for it. That said, the "easier" team is still an NHL team that can beat you on any given night.
I actually think he was making my point. He picked the coyotes as a scrum team, even though they aren't terrible. You pretty much nailed it. Anyone can beat anyone and yes, parity is pretty ridiculous right now.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
I actually think he was making my point. He picked the coyotes as a scrum team, even though they aren't terrible. You pretty much nailed it. Anyone can beat anyone and yes, parity is pretty ridiculous right now.

Wrong. I cited the Coyotes because (even though their record is ok) they score among the least amount of goals in the league and compared them to Pittsburgh, the team scoring the most. How their team as a whole is doing is irrelevant when solely comparing the team scoring and how difficult it is to shut them out.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Well that logically make sense wouldn't it? Complain when he's bad and not complain when he's finally playing slightly above average. He seems to go too much as the team in front of him is going for better or worse. Not the game stealing independent entity I would want my 7 million dollar Vezina goalie to be.

It's more that certain people are "complain when he's bad and constantly talk about how much he sucks" and then "disappear from the boards completely when he's playing well" so it appears like they're only here to shit on him and won't give him credit when he deserves it

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Saying he was "slightly above average" when he went on a 21 game point streak is downright laughable.

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
Saying he was "slightly above average" when he went on a 21 game point streak is downright laughable.

And he had a .905 SV% the other thirty five or so games. He was also significantly below average in the playoffs. It's really a great example of Rask goal tending. Make 2 incredible saves, then fall asleep on the next 5 shots letting 2 in.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Wrong. I cited the Coyotes because (even though their record is ok) they score among the least amount of goals in the league and compared them to Pittsburgh, the team scoring the most. How their team as a whole is doing is irrelevant when solely comparing the team scoring and how difficult it is to shut them out.
Despite scoring fewer goals, their record is OK, which means they have beaten a decent number of their opponents (on any given night). I actually agree with MBF on this. There's an awful lot of parity in the league. Besides, I think you're being a bit unfair to Halak and his shutout capability (which is what this was originally about anyway). Even "scrub teams" as you call them have NHL caliber players who can score goals. So shutting them out isn't something to dismiss out of hand, which is what it seemed like you were doing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad