Post-Game Talk: GAME 11 - Les Bruins pondent un œuf de brontosaure à la maison - Poutineville 3 BRUINS 0 F

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
And he had a .905 SV% the other thirty five or so games. He was also significantly below average in the playoffs. It's really a great example of Rask goal tending. Make 2 incredible saves, then fall asleep on the next 5 shots letting 2 in.
You're doing a great job of talking about everything except the actual point, which is that there are people who come in here just about exclusively to shit on Rask when he doesn't play well. I will also add to my analysis of your assertion that they disappear when he's "slightly above average". They STILL shit on him then. They only disappear when he's very, very good. (and then they totally disappear)

I'm not trying to say he's not maddeningly inconsistent, he is. What I'm saying is that you're not being accurate about how he's treated on these boards.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Despite scoring fewer goals, their record is OK, which means they have beaten a decent number of their opponents (on any given night). I actually agree with MBF on this. There's an awful lot of parity in the league. Besides, I think you're being a bit unfair to Halak and his shutout capability (which is what this was originally about anyway). Even "scrub teams" as you call them have NHL caliber players who can score goals. So shutting them out isn't something to dismiss out of hand, which is what it seemed like you were doing.

Not my intent. Simply stating the obvious: there was a full goal per game difference between the best scoring teams in the league last year vs the worst scoring teams in the league last year. One has a better chance of shutting out the bottom feeders (which the backups tend to face) vs the elite teams (which the starters tend to face). It's not rocket science. When I label teams as "scrubs", I'm not really trying to make any deeper statement. I'm just using exaggeration for effect.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
Not my intent. Simply stating the obvious: there was a full goal per game difference between the best scoring teams in the league last year vs the worst scoring teams in the league last year. One has a better chance of shutting out the bottom feeders (which the backups tend to face) vs the elite teams (which the starters tend to face). It's not rocket science. When I label teams as "scrubs", I'm not really trying to make any deeper statement. I'm just using exaggeration for effect.
We're talking about 44 career shutouts. I'd understand if we were talking about a small sample size but this puts him 6th place among active goalies. I understand that you want to dismiss this but you're looking facts in the face and ignoring them.
He's a good goalie and the Bruins need a reliable guy in nets that can get the job done either if Rask continues his poor play...or if the Bruins need a much needed shutout by a backup goalie.
Having Halak behind Tukka is a nice problem to have.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
We're talking about 44 career shutouts. I'd understand if we were talking about a small sample size but this puts him 6th place among active goalies. I understand that you want to dismiss this but you're looking facts in the face and ignoring them.

Not dismissing it at all. Not ignoring anything at all. Let me be crystal clear for those of you in the cheap seats: it's a great achievement.

He's a good goalie and the Bruins need a reliable guy in nets that can get the job done either if Rask continues his poor play...or if the Bruins need a much needed shutout by a backup goalie.
Having Halak behind Tukka is a nice problem to have.

Completely agreed. Never said otherwise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->