GDT: Game #11: Jets vs Coyotes - 1:00pm (AZ) - Scripps

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Hayton should be on that Carcone/Boyd line. Send Bjugstad up to the Keller/Schmaltz line. And finally give Cooley a shot on that Crouse/Maccelli line where he’s always belonged.
If this change limits our goals against and we give up 2 instead of 5, I'm all for it.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Hayton should be on that Carcone/Boyd line. Send Bjugstad up to the Keller/Schmaltz line. And finally give Cooley a shot on that Crouse/Maccelli line where he’s always belonged.
Wow, you want to move Hayton off that first line. Anyone else want to second that?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If this change limits our goals against and we give up 2 instead of 5, I'm all for it.
You know there is no guarantee, but it has to be done when warranted, and then you hope for the best. I think the only reason Bear has been hesitant to shuffle is because the second, third and fourth line were playing really well, until today. Bear basically sat Carcone, Boyd and Cooley because of poor D. Maybe, put Hayton with those two to help with D and try Cooley with Keller and Schmaltz for the rest of the game. The last five games the first line has been struggling.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
You know there is no guarantee, but it has to be done when warranted, and then you hope for the best. I think the only reason Bear has been hesitant to shuffle is because the second, third and fourth line were playing really well, until today. Bear basically sat Carcone, Boyd and Cooley because of poor D. Maybe, put Hayton with those two to help with D and try Cooley with Keller and Schmaltz for the rest of the game. The last five games the first line has been struggling.
I’ll answer both your last posts here. I said before that if first line doesn’t get back to form by the Jet game, a change may be in order, we’ll see on Tuesday.
Cooley isn’t the answer, not yet. I honestly don’t think McBain, or Bujstad are either, so what’s a Bear to do.
They all looked gased to me.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Fun start to the game, disappointing end. Going to have lots of ups and downs this season but these types of games are the perfect illustration of where this team is at.

Most glaring issue is the blueline. It's just not good enough yet. Moser is extremely promising, like a long term #2 guy promising. That goal today was a thing of beauty. Valimaki has had some regression, which I was worried about. I could see him coming back to form but I have a sneaking suspicion last season may be one of his best.

Dumba is up and down and I hope he can find more consistency. He's a very hard player to find a good partner for, as in he isn't a very complimentary player. He's the type that you kind of need to go out and find the right partner for. He's quick but not the speediest. He plays a heavy game but isn't always great in taking away lanes or space. He's like a pseudo shutdown defender now that his offense is drying up but he still takes too many chances. And then he will have a game where he nearly scores twice, makes several big hits that gets the team going and is strong in his end. I think he should play with Valimaki but then that leaves a very exposed bottom pair of Stecher and Dermott. Can't we play Brown more than Stecher? Or you know, try Koly/Sodastrom instead of Dermott.

Durzi has been fantastic though. I like Durzi and Moser a lot. Everyone else feels replaceable right now, which is completely fine with where we are in the rebuild. But it's going to lead to games like this.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I’ll answer both your last posts here. I said before that if first line doesn’t get back to form by the Jet game, a change may be in order, we’ll see on Tuesday.
Cooley isn’t the answer, not yet. I honestly don’t think McBain, or Bujstad are either, so what’s a Bear to do.
They all looked gased to me.
That's the problem. We have C depth but not talent. But you can't sit on your hands and do nothing. AT said being tired wasn't a factor in the Jet's game. Your first line not producing is the problem.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Fun start to the game, disappointing end. Going to have lots of ups and downs this season but these types of games are the perfect illustration of where this team is at.

Most glaring issue is the blueline. It's just not good enough yet. Moser is extremely promising, like a long term #2 guy promising. That goal today was a thing of beauty. Valimaki has had some regression, which I was worried about. I could see him coming back to form but I have a sneaking suspicion last season may be one of his best.

Dumba is up and down and I hope he can find more consistency. He's a very hard player to find a good partner for, as in he isn't a very complimentary player. He's the type that you kind of need to go out and find the right partner for. He's quick but not the speediest. He plays a heavy game but isn't always great in taking away lanes or space. He's like a pseudo shutdown defender now that his offense is drying up but he still takes too many chances. And then he will have a game where he nearly scores twice, makes several big hits that gets the team going and is strong in his end. I think he should play with Valimaki but then that leaves a very exposed bottom pair of Stecher and Dermott. Can't we play Brown more than Stecher? Or you know, try Koly/Sodastrom instead of Dermott.

Durzi has been fantastic though. I like Durzi and Moser a lot. Everyone else feels replaceable right now, which is completely fine with where we are in the rebuild. But it's going to lead to games like this.
I think most knew our D was going to be suspect.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

100%

knich

Jan 3, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Why does this coaching staff like Stetcher over Brown? I don’t f***ing get it.
Because Stetcher, while not a Durzi, is much better than Brown. I like Brown's physicality but he is not as good a puck mover, is not as quick or fast as Stetcher, and Stetcher makes better decisions. I see what coaches see.
I like Stecher over Brown. I think Brown is pretty close to terrible.
I don't think Brown is terrible. He is just our 7th best defenseman, although I am not big fan of McDermott. He looked much better in preseason.
Wow, you want to move Hayton off that first line. Anyone else want to second that?
I second that and third it. Put anyone on that line and they will have at least same success as Hayton. When Boyd was on that line he scored. We don't have 40 games to wait for Hayton to start producing, even though I think Hayton has otherwise played well.
That's the problem. We have C depth but not talent. But you can't sit on your hands and do nothing. AT said being tired wasn't a factor in the Jet's game. Your first line not producing is the problem.
AT doesn't want boys to use tired as an excuse, but boys were clearly tired. That said, Avalanche would have found a way to win that game. We clearly aren't a contender yet.

Agree we don't have that true #1 center. Hence why BA has said we aren't quite a playoff team, in addition to still being thin on defense side.

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
I'm picky about the way people refer to .500. Ever since the invention of the three point game it's gotten muddy.

Coyotes have 5 wins and 5 losses so we won't be over .500 until a few hours from now.
i get ya. the calc can be done your way or , the cheaper more hopeful way : 5-4-1 = 11 points of 20 ( 10 x 2). wa la.

The wife has thwarted me, despite my steadfast dedication to being as antisocial as possible, I’ll be attending a wedding and forced to watch recorded game. Gave my seats to someone who has never seen a game though, so I’m still trying to do my part.
well, it was your own daughters wedding.

The wife has thwarted me, despite my steadfast dedication to being as antisocial as possible, I’ll be attending a wedding and forced to watch recorded game. Gave my seats to someone who has never seen a game though, so I’m still trying to do my part.
well, it was your own daughters wedding.

• Haha
Reactions: Coyotedroppings

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Because Stetcher, while not a Durzi, is much better than Brown. I like Brown's physicality but he is not as good a puck mover, is not as quick or fast as Stetcher, and Stetcher makes better decisions. I see what coaches see.

I don't think Brown is terrible. He is just our 7th best defenseman, although I am not big fan of McDermott. He looked much better in preseason.

I second that and third it. Put anyone on that line and they will have at least same success as Hayton. When Boyd was on that line he scored. We don't have 40 games to wait for Hayton to start producing, even though I think Hayton has otherwise played well.

AT doesn't want boys to use tired as an excuse, but boys were clearly tired. That said, Avalanche would have found a way to win that game. We clearly aren't a contender yet.

Agree we don't have that true #1 center. Hence why BA has said we aren't quite a playoff team, in addition to still being thin on defense side.
Quibbling about which of Dermott, Stecher or Brown is the better blueliner is like arguing about who to crown the worlds tallest midget. In the end, who really cares?

Our problem is that we have three of these guys when a decent team should really only be able to sustain one of these types.

The good news is that BA was able to add Moser and Durzi for the low low cost of a couple of 2nd round picks that he acquired simply by taking on short term contracts that have since moved on.

Have to hope that the guys he’s spending 1sts on (Simashev and Lamoureux) turn out even better. And also that he keeps investing more assets into the blueline of the future.

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
Quibbling about which of Dermott, Stecher or Brown is the better blueliner is like arguing about who to crown the worlds tallest midget. In the end, who really cares?

Our problem is that we have three of these guys when a decent team should really only be able to sustain one of these types.

The good news is that BA was able to add Moser and Durzi for the low low cost of a couple of 2nd round picks that he acquired simply by taking on short term contracts that have since moved on.

Have to hope that the guys he’s spending 1sts on (Simashev and Lamoureux) turn out even better. And also that he keeps investing more assets into the blueline of the future.
meanwhile, Keller, Schmaltz and Crouse are another year older.

IronFinn

Sponsor
Apr 21, 2022
Scottsdale
That first line is no longer producing because 2 of the 3 are now in a funk. Hayton has been in a point funk all season, and Keller entered one of his rare funk’s about 3 games ago. Good news with Keller is they never seem to last more than 5 games with him.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
That first line is no longer producing because 2 of the 3 are now in a funk. Hayton has been in a point funk all season, and Keller entered one of his rare funk’s about 3 games ago. Good news with Keller is they never seem to last more than 5 games with him.
Yessir. Hayton isn't doing anything to hurt the duo of Keller/Schmaltz, they're just not getting it done of late. Could another center help get things rolling, or be a better outlet as they struggle? Absolutely, but we just don't possess one. I still think Hayton is the best fit, but a shake up could be on the horizon.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
First line looked exhausted. Hayton had less jump, Keller (mostly Keller) and Schmaltz making uncharacteristic fumbles, all the evidence is there. Bear and all players aren't going to admit they are tired. Bear's pretty honest and straight forward, but that's a bit much.
I don't consider letting the boys figure it out as "sitting on your hands," in fact its much better than a knee jerk reaction, especially for a team that doesn't have the talent/depth most on this forum hope, or think they have.
But, like I said if it hadn't turned by the Jet game, a change (shake up) is in order. The only conflict with that (which I neglected to see before) is the potential exhaustion. Again, we'll see, something's got to give soon, either they pull themselves out of it, or an adjustment is made.

Reactions: Grimes and Jakey53

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
The guy who’s gonna pull that line out of the funk isn’t Hayton of some other center. It’s gotta come from Keller. He makes that line go and honestly this is the worst stretch of hockey I’ve seen from Keller since Tocchet. Luckily we’ve had the secondary scoring to get passed it and I know he’ll be fine but hopefully some rest leads to a good reset for him.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
All three are in a funk. I think it's six points last five games combined.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
We gave up 5 goals, that is the problem, not the first line. Any changes should be made for D reasons. Hayton is getting the toughest assignments on D as are Keller/Schmaltz. If you take Hayton off that line, we might give up more goals. We scored 3 goals, the offense isn't horrible. If we were losing 1-0 or 2-1, or 3-2, different story.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
The team has 2 days off. The results of the next game on Tuesday will determine if I'm ready to shuffle Hayton out of the top line.
If it were me, thats the approach I would take.

We gave up 5 goals, that is the problem, not the first line. Any changes should be made for D reasons. Hayton is getting the toughest assignments on D as are Keller/Schmaltz. If you take Hayton off that line, we might give up more goals. We scored 3 goals, the offense isn't horrible. If we were losing 1-0 or 2-1, or 3-2, different story.
Obviously, but the concern is when/if the production of the other lines falters.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
What would you do? Just to let you know our fourth line has more EVP than our first line, with the first line getting almost half of their points on the PP. The problem Bear has is that the other three lines are playing pretty damn good, besides the last game, so really, what can he do? We all knew our D was going to be suspect this year, it is what it is, and of course it's a problem. Our first line has to do better even strength, but that is real hard when your C can't seem to do much.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I know that Bear said that the team was not tired, twice in fact. He lied. He lost a lot of the respect that I had for him. I was there and it was clear that the team was gassed. They were slow to the pucks, They backed off from hits on the boards, and the players, by and large, were totally gassed at the end of short shifts.

I don't put a lot of importance into this game, but in the previous 2-3 games the first line was a nonfactor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad