GDT: Game 11 | Columbus @ Washington | 7 PM EST

Cheddarcheese

Oct 24, 2023
Power play is our biggest issue right now. Having roslovic on it makes no senses to me but the boys battled hard Elvis can’t get a break on the flukey/unlucky goals

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
Johnny has been the number 1 focus his entire career, nothing has changed here.
His teammates have. He's doing poorly but the challenge is not remotely the same. There's extremely limited and inconsistent secondary scoring. When Laine is out too, this team struggles more than usual.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Plenty of chances (and power plays) to buy a second goal but no luck.. Frustrating but I'm getting used to the 1 good game, 1 bad game consistency this team is showing.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
His teammates have. He's doing poorly but the challenge is not remotely the same. There's extremely limited and inconsistent secondary scoring. When Laine is out too, this team struggles more than usual.

It really isn't much different from the Flames for most of those years. Sean Monahan was playing injured for years and it made him slow and weak. They didn't have Tkachuk and Lindholm with Gaudreau until the last year, they really tried hard to have Gaudreau carry Monahan.

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
It really isn't much different from the Flames for most of those years. Sean Monahan was playing injured for years and it made him slow and weak. They didn't have Tkachuk and Lindholm with Gaudreau until the last year, they really tried hard to have Gaudreau carry Monahan.
Standings alone prove that not to be the case. Flames didnt win Cups but they made the playoffs routinely, this team isn't making the playoffs.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Standings alone prove that not to be the case. Flames didnt win Cups but they made the playoffs routinely, this team isn't making the playoffs.

That's not how proof works. You'd have to control for the other parts of the lineup.

• Haha
Reactions: Napoli

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Chino's English certainly advanced over the last season; taking questions without needing interpretation
Thank you for bringing this up. 100% true, huge difference from last year! Post game:

Also totally seems we've created a positive Russian loop here with Provorov, Marchenko, now Chinny, and hopefully Voronkov each contributing and helping each other. Marchy and Chinny probably feel pretty comfortable in the room now and understand most of the talk on and off the ice.

With the way they've been playing, they're probably going to stay up too, so hopefully leads to even better on-ice production too once they get going for real.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Plenty of chances (and power plays) to buy a second goal but no luck.. Frustrating but I'm getting used to the 1 good game, 1 bad game consistency this team is showing.

That’s why I was looking at Garland earlier, they only have 3 vets in the top9 with Laine healthy.
Imconsistency is going to he a thing.

Still with that said how do you lose to all Flyers, Montreal, Anaheim, Washington. Absolutely pathetic

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I think Vincent is probably doing the right thing establishing "culture", even if he eases up a bit in the future he will still have that foundation. And he at least makes it sound like he's good about communicating with players, I think that is important when you are benching/sitting out guys if you actually want to see some player development & keep a good team chemistry.

To be honest their start as a whole has been about as good as I dared to realistically expect, they have been hovering around .500% points which I feel is a reasonable baseline for now. My hope always was they'd manage to start out with 50/50 hockey and improve as the season progresses while the young / new players get used to the team / NHL, the coach gets the team playing like he wants and Laine either stabilizes as center or moves back to wing. Though with young players it's far from a given they will progress as the season gets older, they might just as well have trouble keeping up with the schedule and become less ineffective and sitting out injured is not going to do much good for Laine, though he can still work on some things, just exactly what would depend on his injury. But what he would've really needed would've been more game experience and also his line as a whole starting to convert on the chances they had. It's crazy Texier is still 0+0, he could've easily been like 3+3 just from the few games he had with Laine and he was playing really well all around.

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
That's not how proof works. You'd have to control for the other parts of the lineup.
The point was that the Flames teams were better and Johnny is now easier to key in on as there's limited secondary scoring. If you wanted to look at team goals my argument would still prove to be correct. This overall team is simply 1 line and its not even a very good one, Johnny needs to be playing with higher end skill to be more effective.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Or much more likely it says Ovechkin is the greatest goal scorer in the history of the game and theyll put him in the best positions to score to catch Gretzky
Is he really? He and Gretz are pretty darn neck and neck in Goals/Game for their career and considering Gretz' final few years dragged down his GPG while Ovechkin's only maybe reaching that downslide now . I know some will argue that Gretz played during the high flying 80s but he also played during the trap down 90s. Ovechkin has played his entire career post-trap defense. Both are great players but not sure it's a slam dunk that Ovi is the greatest scorer of all time. I think maybe he gets that label because he doesn't get the added credit of being a playmaker and his shot is so overwhelming while Gretz was a great goal scorer and a great playmaker and physically I think it is harder to put a label on why he was so freaking dominant an offensive machine.
I think they were in a better position with Gaudreau on the bench in this one. He really didn't have it. Not his night.

Kuraly didn't play much in the third anyways.

This was just a coach putting out the guys who were going. Just like with Torts. I think Pascal has a good eye for who is contributing.
While I had no issue with the benching, Johnny was not good last night. But...I did wonder if the message had been sent being benched for most of the third period and watching Johnny on the bench thought he might be chomping at the bit to go in and redeem himself. Perhaps when we got that late PP he should have put him out there and said "Go get 'em Johnny, time to step up". He is probably our most gifted and experienced offensive players.

-----

On a side note: it sucked to lose this game but despite not playing our best we were still in this game to the end. This team has a completely different vibe compared to last year. This team is -6 through 11 games losing only one game by more than 2 goals. Last year we were -21 losing all those games by 3-7 goals. The goaltending has been better, the defensive play has been better, the goal scoring is clearly taking time (though it's no worse than last season). I am bullish that by the end of the season this team should be winning more than they are losing.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
FTR, this is a rough week coming up. Four games in seven days including

home vs Dallas
@ Detroit
@ NY Rangers (a game my wife and I will be attending live

We come out of this with 3-4 points I would consider that a win.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I'm sorry, Jake Bean took *THREE* penalties last night and wasn't benched but Gaudreau can't carry Jenner and gets benched?

Cool.
Bean is probably next up to get sat. He’s fallen off big time. I personally think Blanks would best be able to fit in that spot.

On a similar note, while still not great by any means, Gudbranson is so much better than last year it’s crazy.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Bean is probably next up to get sat. He’s fallen off big time. I personally think Blanks would best be able to fit in that spot.

On a similar note, while still not great by any means, Gudbranson is so much better than last year it’s crazy.
Think Boquist would be better option .. throw him on top powerplay , see if we can get some traction .. not to mention he needs to be playing /building trade value at the minimum …

And I have absolutely no issues with what Vincent is doing in managing the team . Why should Johnny be guaranteed to be in the lineup .. because his contract ? You have a a coach that’s been in the room, and watched first hand last year . Johnny isn’t remotely playing well . Theirs a new standard , and no one is above it . Our fan base needs to get worrying when accountability is demanded . Players will respect Vincent that no one is above the standard . Honestly , I think we got a gem in Vincent . Great communicator , very cerebral, honestly love listening to his interviews , he’s honest and direct .

Last edited:

anotherlurker

Oct 31, 2022
That was the worst game I've watched for a while. That turtle tactic at 5v5 looks so weird, feels like an experiment that will go horribly wrong. Also what I saw was a lot of bad passes and players looking like they are lost, reminding me of the Larsen days. But most of all it looked like most of the players have lost confidence, and while everybody here is thinking who they should bench next and benching and scratching will create great culture, I think it has potential to go overboard and just create a culture of fear. This all might have been just Capitals being good. And after I've been thinking you are all too negative I come up with this post.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Think Boquist would be better option .. throw him on top powerplay , see if we can get some traction .. not to mention he needs to be playing /building trade value at the minimum …

And I have absolutely no issues with what Vincent is doing in managing the team . Why should Johnny be guaranteed to be in the lineup .. because his contract ? You have a a coach that’s been in the room, and watched first hand last year . Johnny isn’t remotely playing well . Theirs a new standard , and no one is above it . Our fan base needs to get worrying when accountability is demanded . Players will respect Vincent that no one is above the standard . Honestly , I think we got a gem in Vincent . Great communicator , very cerebral, honestly love listening to his interviews , he’s honest and direct .
Last year I think they tried Boqvist on the left side and it wasn’t pretty. Blanks however did not have any problems with it. So if Bean goes out there isn’t another guy on the current NHL roster worthy of that third pairing left side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad