GDT: Game 10: TML at CBJ | 7pm EST | Nationwide Infirmary

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Thank you SGM for shutting down a sanctimonious line of thinking.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Put me in the camp that says not to expect much until we get a few guys back. This collection just isn't going to get it done on a nightly basis. Not that it is their fault, I wouldn't expect any team missing the corresponding quality of players the Jackets are missing to do any better.

I expect to lose tonight and hope for a split with Carolina. If Calvert and Jenner and Bob get back in the next week or so life will be better but until then its going to be rough.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
hopefully Boone comes back Tuesday, and Arty and Calvert by Friday...we're getting back quickly coming up...just gotta hold it down as best as possible...

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
We are in trouble boys, that arena was like a morgue last night, the fans stunk, the players stunk.. they need to bring up toughness, not people like Collins and Gibbons. When you lack talent, you beat the other team in the alley. See the 1987-88 Red Wings. At least go down swinging...jesus that was a terrible floating, no heart or effort performance.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
We are in trouble boys, that arena was like a morgue last night, the fans stunk, the players stunk.. they need to bring up toughness, not people like Collins and Gibbons. When you lack talent, you beat the other team in the alley. See the 1987-88 Red Wings. At least go down swinging...jesus that was a terrible floating, no heart or effort performance.
If you can't beat them, you might as well beat them up.:sarcasm:

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
If you can't beat them, you might as well beat them up.:sarcasm:

No, you beat them up and then you suddenly win a few games you aren't supposed to. Am I the only one that has seen Slap Shot? I know it's not a very hipster/blogger/IT guy type of movie with all that violence so most that hang on this board probably would be giving one of these :shakehead at the mention of that movie. But that formula works to a degree and at least entertains the fans that dropped a couple hundred bucks to go watch them fart around for 2.5 hours.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
No, you beat them up and then you suddenly win a few games you aren't supposed to. Am I the only one that has seen Slap Shot? I know it's not a very hipster/blogger/IT guy type of movie with all that violence so most that hang on this board probably would be giving one of these :shakehead at the mention of that movie. But that formula works to a degree and at least entertains the fans that dropped a couple hundred bucks to go watch them fart around for 2.5 hours.

I really hope you're being sarcastic in your last few posts.This isn't the 70's and 80's style of hockey. You can't just goon your way to wins. The rules and players have adapted to a new brand of hockey, one which requires skill, finesse, and grit. We have the grit(we have out hit our opponents the last few games)but are severely lacking skill and finesse. This isn't about entertainment..it's about winning games plain and simple. Winning games fills arenas FAR more effectively then gooning it up.

:shakehead: :shakehead: :facepalm:

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008

Slap Shot is a great movie if for no other reason than Mrs. A Christmas Story's boobs.

If you think IT guys are against violence, I don't think you've met one.

That said, I don't think you understand the current NHL one iota. This is not your father's hockey league.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I really hope you're being sarcastic in your last few posts.This isn't the 70's and 80's style of hockey. You can't just goon your way to wins. The rules and players have adapted to a new brand of hockey, one which requires skill, finesse, and grit. We have the grit(we have out hit our opponents the last few games)but are severely lacking skill and finesse. This isn't about entertainment..it's about winning games plain and simple. Winning games fills arenas FAR more effectively then gooning it up.

:shakehead: :shakehead: :facepalm:

I'm very serious, you don't have to goon it up to get mad and push back and try to get some sort of spark going. Dion was challenging Hartnell all night long and he just skated away. Something has to give, what they are doing with their depleted lineup isn't working. I would have liked to see Rychel and Anderson up here, at least they will compete. And hitting is a misleading stat, it usually means you don't have the puck as much as the other team. We have not played with any grit the last 4 games.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Slap Shot is a great movie if for no other reason than Mrs. A Christmas Story's boobs.

If you think IT guys are against violence, I don't think you've met one.

That said, I don't think you understand the current NHL one iota. This is not your father's hockey league.

I guess nobody saw the Anaheim and San Jose game last week, both teams are much better than we are and they didn't mind "gooning it up".

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I guess nobody saw the Anaheim and San Jose game last week, both teams are much better than we are and they didn't mind "gooning it up".

We also had Anisimov and Letestu healthy for those games..you know capable NHL players, and our last remaining depth. Having Anderson and Rychel wouldn't help anymore then Collins and Gibbons would. When you only have one capable line to create anything it is VERY easy for opposing teams to plan around and to stop. Columbus' reason for its recent success was the fact that we could roll 3-4 lines who posed a threat offensively and defensively every time they stepped on the ice. There was no true #1 or #2 line which caused matchup problems for opposing teams. Now we have a true #1 and 3, #3/#4 lines. Its just not possible to establish and sustain any kind of offensive pressure with the players we have healthy unless they all bring their absolute best, which with AHL players still isn't much.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Wow, just wow.

Everyone has seen Slap Shot. Everyone loves it. It's just that you're the only one who thinks SlapShot is the answer to our woes. :laugh::laugh:

major major

Feb 18, 2013

It'd have been really funny if we sent Anderson and Rychel out against Perry and Getzlaf. Perry and Getzlaf could just outskate and outscore Anderson and Rychel, and they'd never have to fight the kids because the kids could never catch them. Or they could choose to pound their faces in. I'm not sure what you're envisioning.

thebus2288*

I'm not sure he really wants the team to goon it up, just that he wants them to play a little meaner. Ya know, actually BE hard to play against. With all the Boll hate somebody has to stick up for the truth. And please I don't wanna hear anything about Mackenzie. Chaput is a completely better player at this point. Mackenzie doesn't intimidate anybody out there. We're better off throwing Tropp out there, having guys looking over their shoulders, afraid to get their necks broken from a hit from behind. Ok maybe not "better off".

Bottom line is Tropp, Cracknell and Collins are not the answer. They literally have pretty much nothing to bring. Gibbons has a speed element to his game. Anderson has size and decent puck skills that might mesh with Chaput and Boll, or even Gibbons speed. Rychel has an offensive touch that none of these other guys have.

From just going by hockeydb maybe the 2 guys who DO deserve looks are Craig and Tynan. From his time before I was never a huge fan of Craig. Foot speed obviously lagging and overall his offensive skills will never make you go "wow". However the things he's good at seem to be what were lacking right now as a team. He's a smart player, good with the puck and brings a "heavy" game with an edge. And most importantly he's very good around the net. His strongest skill is probably his ability to pick up "garbage goals" around the net and that seems like something we're severely lacking recently with the lineup we've been icing. I've attempted to hype up Tynan as much as I can on here. From watching him play quite a bit a ND all there is to say is simply that he's a very good hockey player. I understand he's young but I just don't see any way that having the guys we have here over him is good for the CBJ. He's simply a better player. Same thing could be said about Gibbons.

thebus2288*

Oh god more Biss n Dellow!!

There's so many factors that that graph and all "fancy/advanced" stats leave out its ridiculous. Biggest and most obvious factor ignored is overall team health. The team being close to full health is a bigger factor than Boll being in or out of the lineup. The whole team being banged up is a bigger factor than Boll being in or out of the lineup.

Those numbers are affected and change game by game because of on ice play. On ice play IS NOT affected by those numbers.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
It'd have been really funny if we sent Anderson and Rychel out against Perry and Getzlaf. Perry and Getzlaf could just outskate and outscore Anderson and Rychel, and they'd never have to fight the kids because the kids could never catch them. Or they could choose to pound their faces in. I'm not sure what you're envisioning.

I wasn't talking about OUR games against San Jose and Anaheim, I was talking about THE San Jose VS Anaheim game...

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I'm not sure he really wants the team to goon it up, just that he wants them to play a little meaner. Ya know, actually BE hard to play against. With all the Boll hate somebody has to stick up for the truth. And please I don't wanna hear anything about Mackenzie. Chaput is a completely better player at this point. Mackenzie doesn't intimidate anybody out there. We're better off throwing Tropp out there, having guys looking over their shoulders, afraid to get their necks broken from a hit from behind. Ok maybe not "better off".

Bottom line is Tropp, Cracknell and Collins are not the answer. They literally have pretty much nothing to bring. Gibbons has a speed element to his game. Anderson has size and decent puck skills that might mesh with Chaput and Boll, or even Gibbons speed. Rychel has an offensive touch that none of these other guys have.

From just going by hockeydb maybe the 2 guys who DO deserve looks are Craig and Tynan. From his time before I was never a huge fan of Craig. Foot speed obviously lagging and overall his offensive skills will never make you go "wow". However the things he's good at seem to be what were lacking right now as a team. He's a smart player, good with the puck and brings a "heavy" game with an edge. And most importantly he's very good around the net. His strongest skill is probably his ability to pick up "garbage goals" around the net and that seems like something we're severely lacking recently with the lineup we've been icing. I've attempted to hype up Tynan as much as I can on here. From watching him play quite a bit a ND all there is to say is simply that he's a very good hockey player. I understand he's young but I just don't see any way that having the guys we have here over him is good for the CBJ. He's simply a better player. Same thing could be said about Gibbons.

Exactly. You don't have to go in the crowd ala Mike Milbury and beat someone with a shoe to play pissed off and mean. When you lack the high end skill, you have to win in the trenches. You aren't just going to keep playing soft and expect things to turn around. Teams grow closer from a good brawl occasionally, it bonds them. I know every team I ever played for still bonds over a good throw down 20 years later. To a man, the Wings would say the first brawl with the Avs was the start of their cup run, that night, I've heard them say it. Sometimes you have to start the bleeding to stop the bleeding. I'm glad at least one person gets what I'm saying. I want Nationwide to be a feared arena to come to!

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Hey guys!

Leafs fan here that was at the game on Friday night. Just wanted to stop in to say how much my friends and I enjoyed our time in Columbus. Met some really welcoming Jackets both at R-Bar pre-game (maybe some of you are here, I was rocking the Gunnarsson jersey!) and of course at the game itself. Was really refreshing as a visiting fan having several home fans come up to us to welcome us to the city and ask how we were enjoying our time, as well as giving us some advice on good restaurants/bars. With the exception of one drunk guy giving us a hard time towards the end of the game (only one was pretty good I'd say), it was definitely worth making the trip down. With this and the awesome atmosphere on campus before and during the OSU game, we've already decided we'll be coming back down next year.

Thanks guys! Good luck with the rest of the season.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3