Post-Game Talk: GAME 10 - THE BEAR tosses Gritty into the river Charles - BRUINS 3 Flyers 0 F

Tbrady12

Oct 19, 2018
I think the Kuraly/Acciari/Wagner 4th line was good in games they've been together. I want that, not Wagner up.

The 4th line is not your offensive catalyst under Cassidy, except to bring energy like in the Edmonton game when Wagner through the huge hit to swing momentum. The 4th line is used to face the other teams top line and make them play 200 feet by grinding down low in the O zone and an in your face style. Acciari-Wagner -Kuraly were going great when they were together, physical and good O zone time, but moving Wagner up has helped get the 3rd line Ozone time but lost that on the 4th line, Donato can't grind it out. I'd also say the checking and speed of the 3rd line now has helped Bjork find his game by keeping it simple, he looks really engaged now every shift.

You also can't look past Nordstrom and Wagner on the PK. They've been very good as a 2nd unit behind March and Bergy.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
Donato is not a 4th liner and belongs in Providence at this point. I was right there thinking that he would be able to step right into the NHL after doing it mid-season and looking good doing it, but he is just not ready.

I actually like Donato on the 4th line for now. I think it will help him in the long run with his overall game and still allow him some offensive chances on the PP. I would however like to see Acciari sit for a few games as I remain confused as to how he is on the NHL roster.

Reactions: Strafer

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I love Bjork’s game. I think he could succeed where Heinen is but for now that is not to be. I’m fine with some of the offensive turnovers playing at speed with line mates that don’t demand attention. It seems Frederic may be getting closer from the Providence thread. Maybe these 2 could role with Nordstrom until another winger could step up. Anyhow, Bjork has really impressed me most of the time.

Would also love to see Wagner push Acciari down and out. I think Wagner cycles well enough that Kuraly and he would get Donato more opportunities while Donato continues to simplify and learn responsibilities.

To be clear I haven’t seen Frederic. But when one guy pushes up the rest can closely approximate.

In addition Krejci continues to improve. Maybe he can have a late career growth spurt like Paul Pierce had with Doc Rivers.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Donato is not a 4th liner and belongs in Providence at this point. I was right there thinking that he would be able to step right into the NHL after doing it mid-season and looking good doing it, but he is just not ready.

If he's not going to get top 6 time there is no point in keeping him up. Bjork is doing good learning on the job, but even he seems confused at times.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

pgm16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2010
St. John's NL
Saw the last period, 2 points & winning with injuries. Solid team effort. Halak signing looking real good !!

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
If he's not going to get top 6 time there is no point in keeping him up. Bjork is doing good learning on the job, but even he seems confused at times.

They can't have two players trying to learn on the fly in the bottom 6. Bjork has looked better and more NHL ready. I think his lack of production is due to linemates.

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
I didn't notice that but great officiating. It's a thankless job but kudos to them for reading the situation and squashing it before anything happened.

Reactions: Almanil

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Solid game defensively, Philly didn't get a lot of quality chances.

I've been a proponent on here of breaking up the big line, but if they're going to stick with it, they have to keep this 2nd line combination together. They have worked extremely well together and have dominated defensively.

Really, the Bruins just need to address their 3rd line. Solid top 6, solid 4th line, when healthy the defense is good and Halak looks like an excellent complement to Rask.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
The Bruins 3rd line is a 4th line on pretty much every NHL team right now.

Third line C is an issue as well as a 3rd line W. I'd like to see them get a solid winger that can float up and play 2 W if one of Heinen/DeBrusk begins to struggle.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
pretty good game.. a few negatives i wanted to mention..
marchand was abysmal.. i cant believe how many giveaways he had!
the second power play seems to operate at such a better efficiency.. but at the end of the game he had kampfer and nordstrom out there with bjork on the bench.. bjork was an animal last night and quickly working his way into my favorite bruin to root for during games..
kuraly has such bad tunnel vision when the puck is on his stick ... its like hes moving to fast to think about what he actually wants to do with the puck.. other than that good game..
really like seeing the youngin's holding their own.
i feel like the start of the season has been one big mental test for all the young guys.. heinen and bjork in and out of the lineup, donato 4th line and hitting posts.. debrusk generating a ton of shots and just missing.. half these things come together and this team is going to be a force

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Well he rang one off the crossbar last night on that 4th line. Almost had another late on the PP. I commend the coaching staff for using him on the 4th line rather than scratch him and replace him with say a Szwarz or McNeill from Providence.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
They can't have two players trying to learn on the fly in the bottom 6. Bjork has looked better and more NHL ready. I think his lack of production is due to linemates.

Bjork was a defensive stalwart on the Gamblers so it comes natural to him. I like developing him this way. Will reap serious benefits down the road. He already has plus skating and a plus shot.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Not sure what you guys want out of the 3rd line but to me Nordstrom is doing good as is Bjork. Be nice to have a finisher on that line vs Wagner. Wagner should be on the 4th pushing out Acciari. Nordy is doing his job, he husltes, creates things with turnovers, back checks and is excellent on the PK. He will never be a top 6 guy, for what he is paid it is very good value.

We need to put away the past bias on him, Cassidy likes him for a reason. Marchand and Wagner received 2 gaping empty net goal passes from him and both waited too long. You want that line to check and break even = job done.

Not going find much better at center on the market, to play 3rd line and no power play time. Which guy is going accept that role and be happy. They will all cost more then Nordy and maybe cost us some prospects. After seeing the 2 young dee step in and play good I am not going be too quick to trade away others.

I know one thing since he came on the line Bjork all of a sudden had a guy that can skate with him and play at a quicker pace. Nordstrom makes Bjork better, for that I am happy.

Reactions: Strafer and Dr Hook

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Even strength they were outchanced 10-1. He’s a liability right now

How is that all on Donato?

Even strength what did they play? Little over 5 mins?

There was a shift I recall that line got hemmed in. Mostly on Acciari's side of the ice. Kuraly had a couple chances to get it out too and didn't get it done. I'm not saying Donato doesn't have any responsibility there, but his defensive deficiencies are severely overrated and used in the right role (4th line + PP time) he can be effective. IMO the defensive capabilities of Acciari and Kuraly are severely overrated. Acciari blocks shots meanwhile Kuraly runs around half the time like a chicken with his head cut off.

Reactions: Strafer
Feb 25, 2016
I absolutely like what I saw last night but I don't know if it was all Bruins or a Flyers Team that just didn't come to play. The Flyers have a lot of talent o that team and I was actually expecting a more spirited game. It looks mostly one side. I still believe breaking up the top line should be a priority in the early going of this season. I really an not a big fan associating line numbers with player rankings although ice time should be determined on individual performance.. Each line needs good players that can elevate his linemates play.

Right now, and it's still early, the only line combo that's showing any consistency is the line center by Bergeron. I have said before I think Krejci need to center a 4 line pairing. Putting Krejci, Backes, and Acciari on the fourth line adds skill and experiences against the opposing teams weaker defense pairings. The second line of Debrusk, Pasternak, and Nordstrom adds an experienced center, an elite playmaker and natural goal scorer, with a guy that is good on the boards and puck possession in the offensive zone. The 3rd line can be used to mix and match youth and speed players. The top line of Bergeron, Marchand, Donato, or Bjork, would, I believe, work fine.

The Blackhawks broke up their talent and won 3 Stanley Cups. The longer this gets put off the harder it will be to see any results.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I absolutely like what I saw last night but I don't know if it was all Bruins or a Flyers Team that just didn't come to play. The Flyers have a lot of talent o that team and I was actually expecting a more spirited game. It looks mostly one side. I still believe breaking up the top line should be a priority in the early going of this season. I really an not a big fan associating line numbers with player rankings although ice time should be determined on individual performance.. Each line needs good players that can elevate his linemates play.

Right now, and it's still early, the only line combo that's showing any consistency is the line center by Bergeron. I have said before I think Krejci need to center a 4 line pairing. Putting Krejci, Backes, and Acciari on the fourth line adds skill and experiences against the opposing teams weaker defense pairings. The second line of Debrusk, Pasternak, and Nordstrom adds an experienced center, an elite playmaker and natural goal scorer, with a guy that is good on the boards and puck possession in the offensive zone. The 3rd line can be used to mix and match youth and speed players. The top line of Bergeron, Marchand, Donato, or Bjork, would, I believe, work fine.

The Blackhawks broke up their talent and won 3 Stanley Cups. The longer this gets put off the harder it will be to see any results.

Keep it up! You are my favorite! And the bolded? I couldn't write that stuff if I were on the staff of SNL! :biglaugh:

Oh and by the way? Backes is going to have a real hard time playing on your vaunted 4th line in his current injured state.

And it's Pastrnak. No 'er'. You have been corrected on this before, to keep misspelling it is just ignorant.

Last edited:
Reactions: lopey

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Last edited:
Feb 25, 2016
Keep it up! You are my favorite! And the bolded? I couldn't write that stuff if I were on the staff of SNL! :biglaugh:

Oh and by the way? Backes is going to have a real hard time playing on your vaunted 4th line in his current injured state.

And it's Pastrnak. No 'er'. You have been corrected on this before, to keep misspelling it is just ignorant.

Well, Backes will eventually play, I'm pretty sure of that. I'll misspell anyone name whenever I want to. And, you know what? I don't give a rats backside if you care or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad