GDT: Game 10: Montreal Canadiens @ St. Louis Blues 6:00 PM CST (BSMW)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
The last two games were exciting to watch - much better then the slop against Arizona and Vancouver.

That said, one team was Montreal and the other was the NJD (Who are actually sneaky bad at 5v5) without their best player for 85% of the game.

Quaz

Mar 15, 2006
St Louis
The last two games were exciting to watch - much better then the slop against Arizona and Vancouver.

That said, one team was Montreal and the other was the NJD (Who are actually sneaky bad at 5v5) without their best player for 85% of the game.
If anything, winning these game should help with Buy-in on the new system and D coach. If they can get the PP going it could make them even more competitive. I’m curious to see how they do in the games next week facing 3 teams that beat them pretty badly the last time they played them.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
If anything, winning these game should help with Buy-in on the new system and D coach. If they can get the PP going it could make them even more competitive. I’m curious to see how they do in the games next week facing 3 teams that beat them pretty badly the last time they played them.
I agree - I think these were great confidence builder type games that we sorely needed. This upcoming week should tell us a lot about how the rest of the season may go. If we go 2-1 or 2-0-1 I think that bodes very well for our future.

Reactions: mk80

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
After being our best line the past couple games, the 4th line really struggled last night.

Good thing our top guys woke up and carried the water for the team. Our best players were our best players. You could see them following the game plan and their confidence growing. Love to see it!

if i hear good things after the next game, may watch them and see for myself
Nobody cares if you watch or not.

mab894

Nov 27, 2017
Really good game last night. Parayko has been fantastic so far. Kyrou extremely dangerous but man he wastes so many good opportunities

Reactions: Blueston

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
NJ was coming off a B2B and Jack Hughes was injured early. NJ dominated the final 30 mins of the game. And Montreal isn’t very good. I’m reserving judgement
ya figured as much. team is better than bottom feeders but wont sniff beating quality teams consistently

After being our best line the past couple games, the 4th line really struggled last night.

Good thing our top guys woke up and carried the water for the team. Our best players were our best players. You could see them following the game plan and their confidence growing. Love to see it!

Nobody cares if you watch or not.
nobody care about your opinion then either, ta ta

finnishflash13

Oct 28, 2020
lo blues win two games in back to back situations and some people on here want to act like they're the san jose sharks. the blues are what they are: a mediocre team that will hover around .500 all season.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
If the Blues go fully off and somehow storm back into the playoffs. I'm blaming the Devils. They just had to call us Wing Ladles
If the team as a whole plays like they did Friday and Saturday heck even against Colorado too this team could conceivably make a push for playoffs which would certainly be refreshing
You guys make it sound like we still have a big hill to climb to get back in playoff territory. As of right now, we are sitting in playoff position (by both points and points percentage) and have the 3rd best points percentage in the Central. Obviously there is a ton of season left and the middle of the Conference is super crowded. There are currently 6 Western teams between 10 and 12 points and we are in the middle with 11. Standings always jumble over a 2 game sample this early in the year. Sitting in WC2 by points and C3 by points percentage at the 10 game mark is far from a guarantee that the team can sustain it.

But this is where we are at with a ton of clunkers in the mix and I don't expect that the middle of the conference is going to get a ton better. We have 1 or 2 games in hand over all other 5 teams in the 10-12 point range and the PP is absolutely going to improve. The lowest season-long PP% since the stat has been tracked is 8.9% and we are currently at 3.7%. It very well may be putrid all season, but there is basically no way it can be this bad. The PK has gotten up to 18th in the league at 78.6%. Maybe it dips back into the low 70s, but that regression won't account for as many goals against as the certain PP improvement will net us.

Broadly speaking, I think this is kind of the point I've been making about this team having a realistic shot at the playoffs. The West sucks and the Central is the worst division in hockey. I don't think we need to see some huge turnaround to be a playoff team. I don't think we need to see every night efforts like this weekend to stay in the playoff mix. The last couple teams in the Western playoff mix are going to be deeply flawed teams and we can absolutely be in that mix even if we look truly awful in 3 or 4 of every 10 games we play. This team can continue to be wildly inconsistent and still play at a .500 to .600 points pace.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
You guys make it sound like we still have a big hill to climb to get back in playoff territory. As of right now, we are sitting in playoff position (by both points and points percentage) and have the 3rd best points percentage in the Central. Obviously there is a ton of season left and the middle of the Conference is super crowded. There are currently 6 Western teams between 10 and 12 points and we are in the middle with 11. Standings always jumble over a 2 game sample this early in the year. Sitting in WC2 by points and C3 by points percentage at the 10 game mark is far from a guarantee that the team can sustain it.

But this is where we are at with a ton of clunkers in the mix and I don't expect that the middle of the conference is going to get a ton better. We have 1 or 2 games in hand over all other 5 teams in the 10-12 point range and the PP is absolutely going to improve. The lowest season-long PP% since the stat has been tracked is 8.9% and we are currently at 3.7%. It very well may be putrid all season, but there is basically no way it can be this bad. The PK has gotten up to 18th in the league at 78.6%. Maybe it dips back into the low 70s, but that regression won't account for as many goals against as the certain PP improvement will net us.

Broadly speaking, I think this is kind of the point I've been making about this team having a realistic shot at the playoffs. The West sucks and the Central is the worst division in hockey. I don't think we need to see some huge turnaround to be a playoff team. I don't think we need to see every night efforts like this weekend to stay in the playoff mix. The last couple teams in the Western playoff mix are going to be deeply flawed teams and we can absolutely be in that mix even if we look truly awful in 3 or 4 of every 10 games we play. This team can continue to be wildly inconsistent and still play at a .500 to .600 points pace.

And you're making it sound like we're not bottom 5 in the league in the majority of 5v5 metrics. Even at our modest 5-4-1, our results our out pacing the play on the ice by a pretty decent margin. We're bottom 5 in literally every 5v5 team stat from xGF, defensive zone time, shot attempts, shots, & Fenwick. The only stat from that group when you separate For & Against where we're not in the league's bottom 5 is raw xGA/60, which is 9th worst in the league. We have been bailed out by Binnington this season so far to even hit .500. Even if the power play normalizes, the goaltending is likely to go back with as well. The central sucks, but we're the second worst team in it and from a basis of what's happened on the ice so far this season, we're closer to Chicago than the next closest team which is the Wild. To even think about the playoffs we need to see significant improvements on the ice first, more than what's shown these past 2 games.

Reactions: 542365

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
And you're making it sound like we're not bottom 5 in the league in the majority of 5v5 metrics. Even at our modest 5-4-1, our results our out pacing the play on the ice by a pretty decent margin. We're bottom 5 in literally every 5v5 team stat from xGF, defensive zone time, shot attempts, shots, & Fenwick. The only stat from that group when you separate For & Against where we're not in the league's bottom 5 is raw xGA/60, which is 9th worst in the league. We have been bailed out by Binnington this season so far to even hit .500. Even if the power play normalizes, the goaltending is likely to go back with as well. The central sucks, but we're the second worst team in it and from a basis of what's happened on the ice so far this season, we're closer to Chicago than the next closest team which is the Wild. To even think about the playoffs we need to see significant improvements on the ice first, more than what's shown these past 2 games.
...and we are currently outperforming our xGF% by pretty much the same margin as last season. And the season before. Over the 3 seasons from 2020/21 through 2022/23, this team is 5th worst in xGF% with a 44.96% over 10,766 minutes at 5 on 5. In the same stretch, the team is 19th in actual GF% with 50.74%. HDGF vs HDGF% is about the same margin. The team earned the 16th most points in the NHL over these 3 years.

We have a significant sample size of this group outperforming the underlying metrics. For whatever reason, this team has been able to actually convert/prevent goals at a rate about 5 percentage points higher than what every model says we should be converting/allowing. That doesn't mean that we are a good team or that such a style is effective at beating actually good teams. But it does mean that something about the way we play repeatedly sees us getting better results than what we should be getting.

I very much disagree with the narrative that Binner has pretty much single handedly gotten us to .500 this year. He has been playing like a good starter, but he hasn't been superhuman out there. Natural Stat Trick has his 5 on 5 rankings as 11th in GSAA and 27th in HD GSAA (minimum 5 games played). Moneypuck has him at 12th in Goals Saved Above Expected (15th per 60). They have him at 16th in SV% above expected. Again, he has absolutely been good but all of these numbers suggest that he's playing like a non-top-10 starter, which is pretty much right in line what a lot of people believe him to be when he's not getting run into the ground. We're 2-1 with Hofer in net and the team has already made one starting decision that suggests that the plan is to manage Binner's workload. I expect some regression from Binner, but I don't think it is a foregone conclusion that the bottom will drop out or that the 'extra' goals will outweigh the offense regressing to the mean.

Again (and I can't stress this enough), that doesn't mean that I think we are a good team. But the goalies are part of this team and I think there are a bunch of bad teams in the Central.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
...and we are currently outperforming our xGF% by pretty much the same margin as last season. And the season before. Over the 3 seasons from 2020/21 through 2022/23, this team is 5th worst in xGF% with a 44.96% over 10,766 minutes at 5 on 5. In the same stretch, the team is 19th in actual GF% with 50.74%. HDGF vs HDGF% is about the same margin. The team earned the 16th most points in the NHL over these 3 years.

We have a significant sample size of this group outperforming the underlying metrics. For whatever reason, this team has been able to actually convert/prevent goals at a rate about 5 percentage points higher than what every model says we should be converting/allowing. That doesn't mean that we are a good team or that such a style is effective at beating actually good teams. But it does mean that something about the way we play repeatedly sees us getting better results than what we should be getting.

I very much disagree with the narrative that Binner has pretty much single handedly gotten us to .500 this year. He has been playing like a good starter, but he hasn't been superhuman out there. Natural Stat Trick has his 5 on 5 rankings as 11th in GSAA and 27th in HD GSAA (minimum 5 games played). Moneypuck has him at 12th in Goals Saved Above Expected (15th per 60). They have him at 16th in SV% above expected. Again, he has absolutely been good but all of these numbers suggest that he's playing like a non-top-10 starter, which is pretty much right in line what a lot of people believe him to be when he's not getting run into the ground. We're 2-1 with Hofer in net and the team has already made one starting decision that suggests that the plan is to manage Binner's workload. I expect some regression from Binner, but I don't think it is a foregone conclusion that the bottom will drop out or that the 'extra' goals will outweigh the offense regressing to the mean.

Again (and I can't stress this enough), that doesn't mean that I think we are a good team. But the goalies are part of this team and I think there are a bunch of bad teams in the Central.

We are not out performing our previous metrics by the same margin at all. Last season we were 6th lowest in xGF and ended up 10th in the league. As of today we are the 3rd lowest and at 19th. That's a significant difference. Further, in previous seasons, we had significantly better base offensive metrics that it allowed us to outscore our issues for decent stretches of times. We don't have that this year. Our transition game is significantly worse and we don't get even close to the same amount of east-west scoring chances as in previous years. The defense is more or less the same on a relative basis, the difference in these metrics is coming from a lack of offense that starts with spending much more time in the defensive zone than previous seasons.

The idea that this is a recipe for being in the playoffs race is insane to me. We are performing worse on the ice than last season when we were comfortably out of the race by the trade deadline. We're worse on paper than that team, too. One of the in division teams that was behind us have surpassed us, and none of the teams that were ahead of us have done anything to fall behind us and are all performing better as well. You've been consistently hinging your statements for the outlook of this team on the improvement of the power play without giving any thought to regression on sv%, deteriorating defensive zone coverage due to the sheer amount of time we've been spending in that zone, or even just starting to get outscored in some of the games where we get offensive production.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
We are not out performing our previous metrics by the same margin at all.

2023/24 xGF% of 42.18 vs GF% of 47.06%. Difference: 4.88

2022/23 xGF% of 44.68% vs GF% of 48.91%. Difference: 4.23

2021/22 xGF% of 47.19% vs GF% of 53.93%. Difference: 6.74

The idea that this is a recipe for being in the playoffs race is insane to me. We are performing worse on the ice than last season when we were comfortably out of the race by the trade deadline. We're worse on paper than that team, too. One of the in division teams that was behind us have surpassed us, and none of the teams that were ahead of us have done anything to fall behind us and are all performing better as well. You've been consistently hinging your statements for the outlook of this team on the improvement of the power play without giving any thought to regression on sv%, deteriorating defensive zone coverage due to the sheer amount of time we've been spending in that zone, or even just starting to get outscored in some of the games where we get offensive production.
Minnesota lost their #3 and #5 D men in addition to their deadline acquisition D man they brought in to be the PPQB. And unless Gustavsson is actually a .931 goalie, they got worse in net despite keeping the same 2 guys.

Winnipeg lost their 4th and 5th leading scorers, which included their #2 center who they didn't replace. They went from #2 center PL Dubois to #2 center Adam Lowry. They bolstered some wing depth to try and help, but I don't think that outweighs what they lost down the middle.

Nashville turned over like a third of their roster since the start of last season. 4 of their 8 highest scoring forwards from last season are no longer with the team and they traded away their #2 D man. They brought in ROR and some depth guys, but I think this team absolutely got worse.

All three teams suffered at least 1 substantial loss and did literally nothing to replace that loss. All of them are currently struggling. I think you are drastically ignoring their losses and inflating what we actually got last season from the guys we lost. All of those teams lost at least 1 guy who contributed more on-ice last season than any of the guys we lost.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

My lack of optimism comes from the team showing spurts well over the past calendar year or so and the laying a few eggs in a row. I agree we don’t need a superb effort but we need a consistent one

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
2023/24 xGF% of 42.18 vs GF% of 47.06%. Difference: 4.88

2022/23 xGF% of 44.68% vs GF% of 48.91%. Difference: 4.23

2021/22 xGF% of 47.19% vs GF% of 53.93%. Difference: 6.74

The process this year vs the previous two are completely different. The previous two seasons we were strong off the rush and generated high amounts of offense from high % chances that public expected goals don't track very well. In particular, we generated a lot of east-west slot shots that are specifically not tracked. That isn't the case this season where we've swapped to our current defensive scheme and have been struggling to generate offense. Our raw GF has dropped from 2.67/60 last season to 1.97. The GA value has obviously gotten much better, but the difference between the GA and the xGA is higher than the GF and xGF was in 21-22 which we have the benefit of knowing in hindsight was unsustainable long term even with the known ommission in the public data.

That said, the difference in standings gap has jumped from 10 spots to 5 spots to 10 again, which was more similar than I originally thought when I made that original post.

Minnesota lost their #3 and #5 D men in addition to their deadline acquisition D man they brought in to be the PPQB. And unless Gustavsson is actually a .931 goalie, they got worse in net despite keeping the same 2 guys.

Winnipeg lost their 4th and 5th leading scorers, which included their #2 center who they didn't replace. They went from #2 center PL Dubois to #2 center Adam Lowry. They bolstered some wing depth to try and help, but I don't think that outweighs what they lost down the middle.

Nashville turned over like a third of their roster since the start of last season. 4 of their 8 highest scoring forwards from last season are no longer with the team and they traded away their #2 D man. They brought in ROR and some depth guys, but I think this team absolutely got worse.

All three teams suffered at least 1 substantial loss and did literally nothing to replace that loss. All of them are currently struggling. I think you are drastically ignoring their losses and inflating what we actually got last season from the guys we lost. All of those teams lost at least 1 guy who contributed more on-ice last season than any of the guys we lost.

Minnesota has Faber who had a good playoff showing and has stepped in and continued that in the top 4. It was a risk, but it's not no replacement. It's a highly touted young player the organization had confidence in. They have 2 losses to New Jersey, 1 to LA, 1 to Toronto, and one bad loss to the Flyers.

You said it yourself for Winnipeg, they bolstered their wings to make up for Dubois. It's okay if you don't think it outweighs it, but early returns have been suggest it has with 56% actual goals for and 54% xGF, and solid looking shooting metrics from across the board with nothing particularly unsustainable. They have 4 losses; 2 to Vegas, 1 to LA, and 1 to Calgary which would be their only bad regulation loss.

Nashville had the "advantage" of being a pretty mediocre team to start with, so they had the least work to do to break even. ROR and Nyqvist have fit like a glove with Forsberg and as long as they have Josi and Saros they're hard for us to pass. They have the most pedestrian schedule and losses of the 3 with a 1 to Seattle, 2 to Vancouver, 1 to Tampa, and 1 to Boston.

So of these teams that you called out as struggling, the only one with a comparable schedule to us is Nashville, who are in the top 5 in xGF, top half of the league in actual GF, and are in the middle in terms of shooting stats. I wouldn't count on us being close to them by mid season once schedules even out unless some of these teams start slumping heavily when it comes to the process.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Minnesota has Faber who had a good playoff showing and has stepped in and continued that in the top 4. It was a risk, but it's not no replacement. It's a highly touted young player the organization had confidence in. They have 2 losses to New Jersey, 1 to LA, 1 to Toronto, and one bad loss to the Flyers.

You said it yourself for Winnipeg, they bolstered their wings to make up for Dubois. It's okay if you don't think it outweighs it, but early returns have been suggest it has with 56% actual goals for and 54% xGF, and solid looking shooting metrics from across the board with nothing particularly unsustainable. They have 4 losses; 2 to Vegas, 1 to LA, and 1 to Calgary which would be their only bad regulation loss.

Nashville had the "advantage" of being a pretty mediocre team to start with, so they had the least work to do to break even. ROR and Nyqvist have fit like a glove with Forsberg and as long as they have Josi and Saros they're hard for us to pass. They have the most pedestrian schedule and losses of the 3 with a 1 to Seattle, 2 to Vancouver, 1 to Tampa, and 1 to Boston.

So of these teams that you called out as struggling, the only one with a comparable schedule to us is Nashville, who are in the top 5 in xGF, top half of the league in actual GF, and are in the middle in terms of shooting stats. I wouldn't count on us being close to them by mid season once schedules even out unless some of these teams start slumping heavily when it comes to the process.
If we're talking about 'quality' losses, our 4 losses stack up right with them. Colorado and Vancouver are both top 6 teams by points percentage and our two 'bad' losses came against teams that on par (or better) with Seattle, Calgary, and Philly.

I also think it is worth looking at games that went to OT. Our lone loser point came against a damn good Dallas team and then we required a shootout to beat a struggling Seattle team.

Minnesota has been past regulation 3 times. They snagged loser points against Washington and Columbus and then beat the Rangers in a shootout.

Winnipeg has been past regulation 3 times. They snagged loser points against Montreal and the Rangers while beating Edmonton in OT.

Nashville makes up for their weaker regulation losses by only going to OT once, where they beat the Leafs.

Again, I feel the need to stress that I'm not rushing to put my money on the Blues to make the playoffs. I'm not trying to argue that this team is the 3rd best team in the division or that the way we play is a desired recipe for success. If I were betting even money, I would absolutely take the Blues to miss the playoffs, but I very much believe that this division sucks, this conference sucks, our goalie tandem can be above-average and because of all that there are tons of opportunities to snag points out of games where the metrics say the other team outplays us 60/40 or 55/45.

I completely agree with you that there is some unwanted regression to the mean coming on the GA vs xGA. However, I firmly believe that Kyrou will get his shooting percentage up from 5% into the double digits and that the PP will get from 3.7% into the double digits. I don't think either of those things requires any change whatsoever to our offensive looks and that gets a non-significant increase to GF. It won't cover all of it if the wheels fall off the goaltending, but if the tandem is average or better all year it probably covers all or damn near all of it.

From pure eye test, I'm seeing significantly fewer back door tap in chances than last year. I'm seeing a backup that clearly instills more confidence in the team than Greiss did. I'm seeing Kyrou go through one of his twice-a-year "can't buy a goal" spurts, but for the first time in one of those spurts I'm seeing a player who is passable defensively and isn't an active drain on the team when he's not scoring. I'm seeing a PP that is a complete disaster from a personnel and execution standpoint. I'm incredibly frustrated that we still haven't tried the very obvious strategy of "putting your best shooter on the top PP unit" but I (perhaps foolishly) believe that we will give that a shot at some point. And as bad as it has been, I'm confident that it isn't as bad as 3.7% even if we continue to try and fill a bunch of round holes with square pegs. I'd bet a large sum of money that the PP will click at 11% or better over the remaining 72 games. That's triple the goal scoring rate of the current PP and would still be good for 3rd worst ever in the salary cap era.

With all of this said, the rest of this month should end a lot of the questions and give us a pretty clear direction one way or another regardless of what we all think this team should be. We have 12 games in the final 24 days of November and that schedule includes 2 against Arizona, 1 against Winnipeg, 1 against Nashville, 1 against Minnesota, 1 against Chicago, and 1 against San Jose. Lot's of "4 point" games against the 3rd-8th best teams in the Central that we're directly competing with plus a game against the worst team in hockey. You can dig a big hole or create a nice playoff cushion by winning/losing to the right/wrong teams in the next 24 days.

Reactions: Blueston

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
From pure eye test, I'm seeing significantly fewer back door tap in chances than last year. I'm seeing a backup that clearly instills more confidence in the team than Greiss did. I'm seeing Kyrou go through one of his twice-a-year "can't buy a goal" spurts, but for the first time in one of those spurts I'm seeing a player who is passable defensively and isn't an active drain on the team when he's not scoring. I'm seeing a PP that is a complete disaster from a personnel and execution standpoint. I'm incredibly frustrated that we still haven't tried the very obvious strategy of "putting your best shooter on the top PP unit" but I (perhaps foolishly) believe that we will give that a shot at some point. And as bad as it has been, I'm confident that it isn't as bad as 3.7% even if we continue to try and fill a bunch of round holes with square pegs. I'd bet a large sum of money that the PP will click at 11% or better over the remaining 72 games. That's triple the goal scoring rate of the current PP and would still be good for 3rd worst ever in the salary cap era.

I guess my fundamental difference here is that while I see the fewer backdoor tap ins, I'm also seeing fewer rushes, fewer east west shot assists, and all around less zone time. I believe they're fundamentally linked and that our offense is being held back by the defensive scheme that has us in our zone for 43.5% of the game. The PP is obviously a point that will likely improve (we are generating a pathetic 4 xGF/60 on it where a decent PP is double that), but I don't expect the 5v5 play to change and that's a problem not just because of the likely upcoming regression in GA, but also because when you're chasing this many games for this long, you start to take penalties from exhaustion. The previous few years we were the beneficiaries of the majority of calls because we pushed the pace on offense and forced quick decisions in transition. The longer it lasts that we're spending almost half of every game in our zone, the more times we end up short handed. I also have concerns about injuries with the amount of shots we're blocking. All it takes is a shot off the boot off the wrong guy to even further sink what little offense we have.

If we're talking about 'quality' losses, our 4 losses stack up right with them. Colorado and Vancouver are both top 6 teams by points percentage and our two 'bad' losses came against teams that on par (or better) with Seattle, Calgary, and Philly.
I'm very much not sold on Vancouver yet. They seem like a classic case of starting hot with bounces going their way, so I'm not including them in that upper tier until some normalization occurs. The last 3 I was including as bad losses since they're all crowded in points around these teams you called out as struggling.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I guess my fundamental difference here is that while I see the fewer backdoor tap ins, I'm also seeing fewer rushes, fewer east west shot assists, and all around less zone time. I believe they're fundamentally linked and that our offense is being held back by the defensive scheme that has us in our zone for 43.5% of the game. The PP is obviously a point that will likely improve (we are generating a pathetic 4 xGF/60 on it where a decent PP is double that), but I don't expect the 5v5 play to change and that's a problem not just because of the likely upcoming regression in GA, but also because when you're chasing this many games for this long, you start to take penalties from exhaustion. The previous few years we were the beneficiaries of the majority of calls because we pushed the pace on offense and forced quick decisions in transition. The longer it lasts that we're spending almost half of every game in our zone, the more times we end up short handed. I also have concerns about injuries with the amount of shots we're blocking. All it takes is a shot off the boot off the wrong guy to even further sink what little offense we have.
its also possible, perhaps likely, that as we get comfortable with the new system we will start generating more offense off it. that seems at least as likely as that our GA faces regression. there is no reason to assume that everything breaks against us.

Reactions: stl76 and Brian39

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
its also possible, perhaps likely, that as we get comfortable with the new system we will start generating more offense off it. that seems at least as likely as that our GA faces regression. there is no reason to assume that everything breaks against us.
I've said it a few times already, but I don't think we have the right personnel to make this passive a defensive zone scheme work the other way on a consistent basis. There will at the very least have to be a trial and error period in which our players make mistakes transitioning into a more aggressive version that doesn't just give free reign along the boards, points, and the corners when the other team does have possession. With how passive we've been playing it, our success has come from a lack of care with the puck from our opponents especially on zone entries as opposed to forcing those turnovers. We need to be able to win pucks and force the transition to gain back our offense because we're sure as hell not a forechecking team.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad