Game 10: Kings vs. Red Wings - 2/10/13 - Heartbreaking Loss

Crosby87Domi11

Jan 29, 2013
Locust Grove,VA
Lol at blaming that goal on Stoll. Doughty is nowhere near Datsyuk (which is a good thing since Doughty should be where he is). Id much rather Stoll be on Datsyuk's ass and leave Ericsson open at the point, than be tight on Ericsson and give Datsyuk acres of time and space to do what he wants should the puck come to him

I'm just glad no ones blaming Ellerby for it.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Stoll can't be blamed anymore, blame management for bringing him back but mostly DS for continuing to use this idiot in key situations, maybe twice being at fault for goals in the final minute will be enough but who knows with Stoll, no matter how awful he plays he finds his way back into key spots in key situations.

Stoll's #1 job in that situation is to win the draw, which I believe he did (I can't see the video at work right now). Winning the faceoff is the reason he was on the ice.

Perhaps focus on the turnover and the puck finding a hole in Quick before reaming Stoll yet again.

Jetteroheller

Jul 9, 2010
Saskatoon
I really think calling up Toffoli may give the team an offensive boost at this point. Wouldn't mind seeing:

Brown-Kopitar-Toffoli
Gagne-Carter-Williams
Clifford-Richards-Nolan
King-Richardson-Lewis

Scratch Stool, for the love of God.

I'm in favor of anything that would get Stoll off the roster, so wouldn't mind seeing this, or trading for a ready prospect that can fit in to one of the top two right wing slots.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Lol at blaming that goal on Stoll. Doughty is nowhere near Datsyuk (which is a good thing since Doughty should be where he is). Id much rather Stoll be on Datsyuk's ass and leave Ericsson open at the point, than be tight on Ericsson and give Datsyuk acres of time and space to do what he wants should the puck come to him

Datsyuk would not have had 'acres of time and space' considering that when the puck actually gets to him, Drew is almost there already, plus if Stoll is where he should be (near the boards between Datsyuk and Ericsson) he can put pressure on Datsyuk if he tries to evade Doughty by coming up high.

Crosby87Domi11

Jan 29, 2013
Locust Grove,VA
Stoll's #1 job in that situation is to win the draw, which I believe he did (I can't see the video at work right now). Winning the faceoff is the reason he was on the ice.

Perhaps focus on the turnover and the puck finding a hole in Quick before reaming Stoll yet again.

Stoll isn't very popular among King fans is he? (Sorry I'm a brand new fan since Friday)

Last edited:

Jetteroheller

Jul 9, 2010
Saskatoon

Carter won the draw, Stoll was on the ice to play left wing and be there incase Carter was thrown out. Stoll was supposed to go out and cover the point man, but went over to help cover Drew's man instead, so wasn't in position when Drew poke the puck up the boards.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada

Carter took the face-off and won it. He was a winger, hence why he should have been up towards the point.

Jetteroheller

Jul 9, 2010
Saskatoon
Stoll isn't very popular among King fans is he? (Sorry I'm a brand new fan since Friday)

I used to not mind Stoll, but over the years he has done a lot of bone head things that have made me less fond of him over time, he has been really bad this year and we are paying him far too much to be our 4th line center. There are some on the boards here that REALLYdislike him though :)

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can

I personally like stoll I see the value in his faceoff wins. He also scored the goal that beat vancouver so i will always like the guy. Many others in here hate the guy. I guess its more every team has its players that we love to hate on on the kings its stoll and penner

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
Datsyuk would not have had 'acres of time and space' considering that when the puck actually gets to him, Drew is almost there already, plus if Stoll is where he should be (near the boards between Datsyuk and Ericsson) he can put pressure on Datsyuk if he tries to evade Doughty by coming up high.

Thats being results orientated. If Stoll isn't near Datsyuk and the puck is just out of Doughty's reach, Datsyuk walks around Doughty and is suddenly all alone in the slot and odds on fav to end the game. Thats a much scarier situation than a puck thrown at the net from the blueline

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Thats being results orientated. If Stoll isn't near Datsyuk and the puck is just out of Doughty's reach, Datsyuk walks around Doughty and is suddenly all alone in the slot and odds on fav to end the game. Thats a much scarier situation than a puck thrown at the net from the blueline

No, Datsyuk is not out of Doughty's reach. Doughty is still in front of him. In fact, if Stoll not where he is, Doughty likely wouldn't even have played the puck at all, instead playing Datsyuk like what was supposed to happen on that coverage situation.

Heck, if Doughty ties up Datsyuk, Stoll can come down in support to try and fish for a loose puck, while still staying between Datsyuk and the player he should be covering.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Regardless of whether you think he made the right move or wrong move, there is no way Stoll should ever be out there in the final minute of a close game, especially player his unnatural position. He is poor defensively and a threat to take a dumb penalty (although most of his penalties are off. zone). I think even his few supporters he has left think he is vastly overused.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Carter won the draw, Stoll was on the ice to play left wing and be there incase Carter was thrown out. Stoll was supposed to go out and cover the point man, but went over to help cover Drew's man instead, so wasn't in position when Drew poke the puck up the boards.

Ahh, thanks. I remember the Kings winning the draw, but didn't remember Carter being the center on the play. I simply assumed it was Stoll (bad idea). I do assume then that Stoll was out there in the event Carter was kicked out of the faceoff.

No, Stoll is not very popular. A lot of that has to do with his lack of offensive production as a 2nd line center, then after the Richards acquisition as a 3rd line center.

It's reasonable to question the re-signing of Stoll for 3 years and the amount he received on that contract. He probably would have gotten a similar offer as a UFA though. I think we may very well see a center corps of Kopitar, Carter, Richards, Stoll in the near future, if Toffoli's development supports a move like that.

Fraser has had a very poor start to this season and may not be back in the lineup anytime soon.

Last edited:

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I do think he is overused. That said, he was out there as an extra centre in case Carter got kicked out of the draw (a common tactic to do that situation) and as bad as Stoll has been, his strength is in a defensive role, which is what that was.

But he really screwed up on his assignment, no question.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Yeah, I am not going to critique Stoll to strongly for being aware of Datsyuk and letting a shot from the point occur that Quick should have easily stopped.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I guess people are forgetting that weak clear attempt by Drew that went right to the point.

I know everyone loves to hate Stoll and blame him for all the Kings problems.

But Drew is a Minus Seven over the last four games....A lot has to do with weak puck movement and weak plays.

Stoll is not paid and is not expected to Carry the Kings.

Drew Doughty is.

Drew has ZERO goals so far this season, The PP sucks largely because Drew is awful on it.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
It's about hockey sense, of which Stoll has none. You see the puck chipped around the corner toward Datsyuk, you see that Doughty can easily transition over to maintain man on man coverage, you drift toward the point so Ericsson can't hammer a shot.

None of that occurred to Stoll. Stoll's thought process on that play was, "PUCK! GET IT!"

And why is double coverage on Datysuk on the freaking half wall so important, anyway? Yes, he's Datsyuk but he's not scoring from there.

Also agree with others that are questioning Sutter's decisions to put a guy like Stoll out there for important plays.

I've never thrown in with the Stoll haters on this forum or elsewhere. I think he's been an adequate hockey player for us for most of his career. But it's clear that he's been beyond terrible this season. The team may need a major wake up call coming up here and Stoll may be the sacrificial lamb. He's been one of the good ol' boys on the team for years now and seeing him get shipped out of town would send shockwaves through the ranks, which may be what they need.

Stoll and a pick for Setoguchi. Do it Dean.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
It's about hockey sense, of which Stoll has none. You see the puck chipped around the corner toward Datsyuk, you see that Doughty can easily transition over to maintain man on man coverage, you drift toward the point so Ericsson can't hammer a shot.

None of that occurred to Stoll. Stoll's thought process on that play was, "PUCK! GET IT!"

And why is double coverage on Datysuk on the freaking half wall so important, anyway? Yes, he's Datsyuk but he's not scoring from there.

Also agree with others that are questioning Sutter's decisions to put a guy like Stoll out there for important plays.

I've never thrown in with the Stoll haters on this forum or elsewhere. I think he's been an adequate hockey player for us for most of his career. But it's clear that he's been beyond terrible this season. The team may need a major wake up call coming up here and Stoll may be the sacrificial lamb. He's been one of the good ol' boys on the team for years now and seeing him get shipped out of town would send shockwaves through the ranks, which may be what they need.

Once again Stoll is not paid, also not tasked with carrying the Kings.

Drew Doughty is, And the whole reason that puck made it to the point, was Drew's weak clearing attempt.

Drew is paid 7 MILLION dollars to not make play's like that....

He is a minus Seven over the last Four games...

Stoll is what he is, And he is not the reason the Kings continue to lose games.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
It doesn't concern anyone that Drew is now the Worst Defense man Stat wise in the league ATM ? (Worse than Jack Johnson).

We are more worried about Stoll ? Really ?

Last edited:

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I love how ten games after we raised the cup, we need to send 'shockwaves' through the locker.

It's absurd right .

As if Stoll being traded would even phase anyone. The guy is not paid to carry the Kings, the Kings don't count on Stoll to win games.

A shockwave would be trading Doughty or Kopitar. THAT"S A SHOCKWAVE.

It's also Stupid.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

It better not cost Stoll and A PICK to get Setoguchi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad