GDT: Game #10| Feb. 5, 2013|Lightning at Flyers |7:30 p.m. ET

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
I think this game was a perfect statement to the argument that Lavy is unable to ammend his system for the personnel he has or for the opposing team.

Last game the team looked well coached, motivated and determined, I am giving the coach credit when credit is due.

I hope, last game will be a great stepping stone for the team as well as coaching staff.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I think this game was a perfect statement to the argument that Lavy is unable to ammend his system for the personnel he has or for the opposing team.

Last game the team looked well coached, motivated and determined, I am giving the coach credit when credit is due.

I hope, last game will be a great stepping stone for the team as well as coaching staff.

Maybe but we don't know how much of a factor his coaching staff has helped either. I doubt Paddock is just getting paid to watch games like Shelley...:sarcasm:

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Found a great pictorial from Twitter of the "late" or not-so-late punches in the two scrums yesterday:

hYvp7ws.jpg

ninetynine*

"Notice how Crombeen is just coming off his skates..."
That's where this "analysis" loses all credibility, I don't care what the ****** lightning captain did, Rinaldo should have stopped a punch or two earlier.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
That's where this "analysis" loses all credibility, I don't care what the ****** lightning captain did, Rinaldo should have stopped a punch or two earlier.

Disagree. Love what Rinaldo did.

Q from random NHL player watching the highlights: What happens if I take liberties with Giroux?

A: You get your head kicked in and some visits with the concussion doctor.

4thline4life

Jul 12, 2010

Says then guy who's never been in a fight in his life. Yeah how was Rinaldo supposed to know crombeen wouldn't get up. Its not like he was on the ice laying there like the pos lecavalier threw on Talbot.

ninetynine*

Says then guy who's never been in a fight in his life. Yeah how was Rinaldo supposed to know crombeen wouldn't get up. Its not like he was on the ice laying there like the pos lecavalier threw on Talbot.

:laugh:

Sure...that's why I'm always advocating fighting.

Learn the code :help:

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
The Rinaldo fight was fine, the ref even confirmed it. Of course Tampa players were upset because Crombeen got hurt. Not even going to comment on the Vinny thing. This has become much larger than it should have.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
I agree on stopping a punch or two earlier sentiment. I don't know whether he saw Crombeen was already out on the way down, though. As far as him talking to the refs, that actually made things better in my view, seeing how he was concerned with not wanting to punch someone that's already down. But the ref only confirmed he didn't punch him when he was actually on the ground, which of course is true.

As for the game, it was pretty sweet. Still not that much offensive spark, though, and Schenn still doing nothing on the offense. I'm starting to get a bit worried about that, and a prime example was one of his plays in the first period when he had the puck on the opposing blue line and no one that close around him, and instead of holding the puck and waiting for others to come by, he just chipped it to where there was absolutely no chance our players would get there first and headed off on a change. I don't know, it's those little plays that he seems to be lacking right now, but hopefully he improves his play as the season goes along.

Sestito came as a Roman, and Timonen was also an absolute beast on the defense. I liked Giroux's play much better, and his faceoff-taking was just incredible. McGinn also surprises me more and more, and all in a good way. And I guess the last honorable mention goes to Bryz.

So a lot of good to our game, hopefully they keep it up. I don't mind us being a low scoring team, if that means our defense is rock solid.

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
everyone with a keyboard becomes an expert at anything. today, people are all of a sudden experts at fighting. Looked fine to me. Its not like hes laying on the ice and Rinaldo is pounding his face into it. I don't see TOO many Flyers whining about Vinny. If he wasn't woozy after no one would be making a big deal about it.

I googled Rinaldo fights and this kid is tough. EVERYONE he fights has a size advantage. He has to be borderline crazy.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
everyone with a keyboard becomes an expert at anything. today, people are all of a sudden experts at fighting. Looked fine to me. Its not like hes laying on the ice and Rinaldo is pounding his face into it. I don't see TOO many Flyers whining about Vinny. If he wasn't woozy after no one would be making a big deal about it.

I googled Rinaldo fights and this kid is tough. EVERYONE he fights has a size advantage. He has to be borderline crazy.
What do the sheep say again? Let he who is without sin cast the first stone?

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
What do the sheep say again? Let he who is without sin cast the first stone?

I'm not claiming to be an expert at fighting. I'm talking about the people saying "if you've ever been in a fight ...... ... .. ..." insert whatever made up story they fabricated to back up their claims. Everyone is going to have their opinion on it. I'm not going into details about the morals of fighting and the underlying code that goes with it. I'm just stating it looked ok to me. Are you the same guy that thinks he is clever when he says "whiners whining about whining?"

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia

It's amazing isn't it. Rinaldo is one tough hombre. He was in rage mode and like you said he pretty much has to be as an undersized guy. It's pure adrenaline and he even said it's not like he's thinking out there..he's in survival mode and making sure he terminates his adversary. I see nothing wrong with how he conducted himself in that fight b/c he was obviously in complete rage mode b/c of his size disadvantage. No time to think and have some kind of colonial gentlemanly battle. He was in a take no prisoner's mode.

So mad that on some ESPN sports program today they made the fight a topic of discussion and called it barbary.....of course it's not like Rinaldo needs more bad press so that the refs are total jerks with him to the point that they make him extinct from the game...

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
I'm not claiming to be an expert at fighting. I'm talking about the people saying "if you've ever been in a fight ...... ... .. ..." insert whatever made up story they fabricated to back up their claims. Everyone is going to have their opinion on it.
Ah, OK, sorry about that then, I thought you were talking about everyone, including me, who expressed an opinion different than yours, even if it was without a story accompanying it :)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
One of the great ironies is in this thread. The referee said so. First time in Philadelphia sports history. :snide:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
One of the great ironies is in this thread. The referee said so. First time in Philadelphia sports history. :snide:

And Pierre Mcguire was positively effervescent.

I've said before I'm no fan of Rinaldo. He's a bad combination of playing on the edge of crazy/dirty and a reputation penalty magnet. He played his heart out last night and had a great game, though I didn't like the last punch against Crombeen.

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
Ah, OK, sorry about that then, I thought you were talking about everyone, including me, who expressed an opinion different than yours, even if it was without a story accompanying it :)

haha yeah i'm sorry too. HF boards brings out the worst in people and puts me on edge. It just feels like people are always looking to pick a fight. My initial post you replied to wasn't directed to you at all.

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
And Pierre Mcguire was positively effervescent.

I've said before I'm no fan of Rinaldo. He's a bad combination of playing on the edge of crazy/dirty and a reputation penalty magnet. He played his heart out last night and had a great game, though I didn't like the last punch against Crombeen.

Yeah I agree on all parts. I would have preferred he laid off the last punch, but he doesn't have the perspective and time to pick apart the situation like us. The Mic'd up video shows thats not what he was trying to do. Some would argue he has earned the reputation of being dirty and thats fine. I can't dispute that.

Anyone think Briere or someone else in the room said something to Rinaldo between periods after St. Louis was chatting to Danny?

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
I agree on stopping a punch or two earlier sentiment. I don't know whether he saw Crombeen was already out on the way down, though. As far as him talking to the refs, that actually made things better in my view, seeing how he was concerned with not wanting to punch someone that's already down. But the ref only confirmed he didn't punch him when he was actually on the ground, which of course is true.
If he had stopped punching, and Crombeen had straightened up and clocked him, we'd all be mad that he didn't finish him. Crombeen had it coming to him, he got it. Lecavalier's late punches while Talbot was lying on the ice were later and dirtier than Rinaldo's.

That probably helped Zac, since even Shanahan isn't so much of hypocritical moron that he could have suspended Zac but not Vinny.

ninetynine*

This got blown out of proportion, maybe Rinaldo didn't see Crombeen buckling or didn't have time to react in the heat of the moment, it's 1 or 2 punches, not a huge deal, just maybe a little beyond the code. As for Lecavalier who cares? The guy is as dumb as a post and somewhat overrated, always has been. Quite frankly nobody cares about the Lightning and that's why his late punches on Talbot are not an issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad