GDT: Game 10: Columbus at St. Louis | 11/5 7PM

ndd17

In Eaves we trust!
Jul 14, 2012
Russia
If someone tell me before game we get a point with CMac i agree immediately.
But, what a save by CMac in overtime, really strong game by him.
All in all, i'm satisfied.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Brandon Saad got absolutely abused in that OT (again) with little effort defensively (again). Not trying to stir the pot but if that was #19 a year ago people would have gone absolutely bonkers on both OTL's.

Doubt it. He got caught flat footed by an elite player. It happens. There's nothing about his game that is of the slightest concern in terms of effort or ability. Holy overreaction.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
If someone tell me before game we get a point with CMac i agree immediately.
But, what a save by CMac in overtime, really strong game by him.
All in all, i'm satisfied.

Samesies. McBackup got us a point on the road on the second night of a back to back. And he played really well. The refs and the team in front of him didn't make it easy for him either.

MFRONE

Feb 3, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
How long until Dubi gets healthy scratched? Have to think he's at the top of Torts' **** list based on his play the last few games.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
How long until Dubi gets healthy scratched? Have to think he's at the top of Torts' **** list based on his play the last few games.

Wow, you must not have watched before the last few games. These were his best ones! :laugh:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Doubt it. He got caught flat footed by an elite player. It happens. There's nothing about his game that is of the slightest concern in terms of effort or ability. Holy overreaction.

Yeah Tarasenko is great and all, but that was a gimme goal. He got beat to the outside because Saad was effortlessly standing still. Don't even get me started on the LA play. It's not an overreaction, and I love Saad.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Was hoping Mac would be able to steal 2 there instead of 1.

Great job by Mac. I feel I've been in the minority here, but I think he's done a great job during his time as a Jacket. He knows his role, which is not an easy one, and I think he fills that role well.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Now that's what a backup goalie is supposed to do for your team!
Great job by C-Mac to help CBJ get a point.
A bit disappointed they got hands of stone tonight, after scoring effortlessly last night, but back-to-back games are tough, especially when it goes home-away.
I'll still accept the single point.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I share Torts point (not his language)

“The thing that crawls up my (butt) is I watched Nick Foligno fight that animal, I watched Mac play the way he did, I watched some other guys do everything they could to win the hockey game,†Tortorella said. “Then I see a few of our top guys, they did not give enough. For this team to make the right steps to go where we want to go, as we continue to build the club, we cannot see that again from some of these guys as far as the lack of give in certain situations.

“I keep putting (some top guys) out on the ice and kick myself in the (butt) now. It’s wrong. It’s wrong to see some guys give absolutely everything they have and to watch what Nick did and, if I’m a teammate of his, I’m going to get behind him and do everything I possibly can. I did not see that enough from our top guys.â€

If I was Nick I'd seriously consider just not bothering. If your guys aren't going to follow you after you do that, what's the point?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I don't blame Saad for the last goal. A little, but not anymore than numerous other guys who were slow on their assignments. Jones was drifting on the Bouwmeester goal, etc...
If there was one good thing it's that the turnovers are getting very low compared to what I'm used to with this club. But the coverage can get sloppy - the most painful thing to do in sports is to keep tight coverage on a moving attacker, and guys frequently just don't do it.

Again my bigger issue is the team didn't stand up physically. They tried to outskill the Blues. I actually missed Prout. :laugh:

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I don't blame Saad for the last goal. A little, but not anymore than numerous other guys who were slow on their assignments. Jones was drifting on the Bouwmeester goal, etc...
If there was one good thing it's that the turnovers are getting very low compared to what I'm used to with this club. But the coverage can get sloppy - the most painful thing to do in sports is to keep tight coverage on a moving attacker, and guys frequently just don't do it.

Again my bigger issue is the team didn't stand up physically. They tried to outskill the Blues. I actually missed Prout. :laugh:

Well if we're not going to play Prout against a team like the Blues, why would we even bother having him on the roster?

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio

He played the puck and not the body, that was a terrible play and that's 2 OT's he has cost us and I absolutely think he's one of the ones Torts was talking about. I think Boone is the other one, he's been completely ineffective this season in all aspects of the game. 3 out of 4 points on the weekend is good though. Werenski needs to get back to getting pucks on net too. CMac was outstanding, I have complete trust in him as a backup

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Three games during November's first week - 5 points.

Three of the 19 scheduled back-to-backs are complete. In those 6 games, the CBJ have 9 points. 5 of those 9 points have come from the 2nd night of the B2B.

Bobrovsky has played 8 games, McElhinney has played 1. There are 22 calendar weeks remaining in the season with 73 games remaining. Playing C-Mac 22 more times for 23 starts and giving Bob the remaining 51 seems about right. That would be 59-23 total. C-Mac should play weekly.

I thought Jenner was active without the puck last night and weak with it. I love Boone Jenner. At this point however, I would advocate a change for one game. Let Boone check out the hot dogs and popcorn in the press box and draw in Sonny Milano. One game - that's all I'm saying. I'm not saying to trade anybody - don't send somebody to the minors - don't fire somebody or waive somebody. Nothing drastic. Milano in - Boone sits. One game - that's it.

Many teams in the league have played 2 more games than the CBJ. A couple have played 3 more. I can just imagine if the face-plant of last season was over-laid on this seasons schedule. It hurt to watch other teams rush ahead last year. To watch them rush ahead and not get to play would be ISIS style torture. Congratulations CBJ on a very solid beginning to the 16-17 season.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Once again, no matter how we got there, a point on the road, especially on the back end of a back-to-back, and against a very good St. Louis team is AOK in my book.

After Fridays game, I was expecting a major let down, and we did not see that at all.

A few vets didn't play well, it happens.

Let's get ready for the next game.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
A 5-3-2 start is great and totally unexpected by me. If I recall Mayor's formula that is playoff pace. Not to get ahead of myself but it is very encouraging.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Having see Tort's public nonspecific call out of certain players (with whom I suspect he had very pointed private chats), I am more convinced that ever that Tort's is the right guy to get us to the Promised Land. He knows and understands the high level of effort that has to be consistently achieved in order to be a superior team in this league. I trust his eyes to filter out those who are not pulling their weight.

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
When OT started I turned to my husband and said the only person on the Blues who scares me 3-3 is Tarasenko. Dude's unbelievably talented.

I agree that Curtis did everything he could do in that game. If Bob plays like Bob and Curtis keeps this up, we may be alright.

*anyone else cringe when Rimer called one of Cmac's saves a "Bobrovsky-like save"? Grrrrrr. Let Mac have his deserved glory for that game.

cbjfaninmo

4 those about 2 rock
Mar 17, 2012
Lake of the Ozarks, MO
Let Boone check out the hot dogs and popcorn in the press box and draw in Sonny Milano. One game - that's all I'm saying. I'm not saying to trade anybody - don't send somebody to the minors - don't fire somebody or waive somebody. Nothing drastic. Milano in - Boone sits. One game - that's it.

I agree. Let Boone watch a game.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Having see Tort's public nonspecific call out of certain players (with whom I suspect he had very pointed private chats), I am more convinced that ever that Tort's is the right guy to get us to the Promised Land. He knows and understands the high level of effort that has to be consistently achieved in order to be a superior team in this league. I trust his eyes to filter out those who are not pulling their weight.

John Torterella spoke about "coaching himself" as training camp opened. This meant, to me, he has has examined himself and his methods.

Earlier this week, he caught himself before almost dropping a F-bomb. His reaction showed me he cares about his public persona.

He was critical of some veterans and refused to name them. My guess is he has had several internal conversations. My impression has been that in previous stops (Tampa, New York, Vancouver), he would have just gone nuclear. I think most of the hockey watching world thinks that as well.

There are a few signs, some small - some a little bigger, that this man has done an amount of genuflecting about himself, his coaching style, and the effect of that upon other human beings around him. A "softer - gentler Coach Torts" would draw guffaws from many.

But he talks about what work the CBJ must accomplish to earn some league wide respect - and correctly so. I wonder if, especially in light of the Team USA result, he has considered himself and his work in a like or similar manner.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I thought Jenner was active without the puck last night and weak with it. I love Boone Jenner. At this point however, I would advocate a change for one game. Let Boone check out the hot dogs and popcorn in the press box and draw in Sonny Milano. One game - that's all I'm saying. I'm not saying to trade anybody - don't send somebody to the minors - don't fire somebody or waive somebody. Nothing drastic. Milano in - Boone sits. One game - that's it.

That's exactly the prescription I desire and expect.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Sometimes I worry that Werenski is aging backwards like Benjamin Button. We can't have our #1D being someone with the mind of a 28 year old but the physical stature of a 10 year old

He's 6'2 218 pounds...he's still growing too, he needs to get stronger but certainly doesn't lack the size, wouldn't say he has the stature of a 10 year old

Last edited:

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
He's 6'2 218 pounds...he's still growing too, he needs to get stronger but certainly doesn't lack the size, wouldn't say he has the stature of a 10 year old

Sorry, that was a poor joke. I meant his mentally he will age normally but physically he'll age backwards ala Benjamin Button

:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad