GDT: Game #10 - 10.31.14 - vs Anaheim - 7:30 PM - FS Southwest - 1310 AM - 96.7 FM

Pohlow

Mar 26, 2012
Frisco, Tx
But unlike in other sports four or those losses are "good losses".

4-2-4 start to the season isn't awful. If we're going to lose six games, I want to lose six games sort of like this.

I see your point. Never been a fan of the loser point, even if it is favoring the hell out of us this season. It's good at the end of the year, yeah. But during the year all I remember is that we have won 4 times and lost 6. In the moment, losing in overtime stings just as bad as losing in regulation.

NukeJukes43

The Stars really are giving everyone good reason to say they're still a playoff bubble team. I'm starting to question Ruff's systems. Not saying throw him under the bus, but what he's got going isn't working. Switch up the gameplan.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
They're blowing opportunities at home though with a pretty cushy schedule in terms of rest.

Teams that play for OT get roasted in the playoffs.

Of course it's disappointing. I want this team to win some of these games. Seguin missed a tip in just barely tonight, could have made up for one of the dumb losses like Philly.

But loser points now give us more wiggle room. A 4-6 start would be really bad. a 4-2-4 start gives us plenty of room to come back without having to make up significant room. This team needs to find themselves. They have the tools to do so.

Uncle Hulka

Aug 1, 2014
I see your point. Never been a fan of the loser point, even if it is favoring the hell out of us this season. It's good at the end of the year, yeah. But during the year all I remember is that we have won 4 times and lost 6. In the moment, losing in overtime stings just as bad as losing in regulation.

I have a hard time thinking this team is just bad in ot. Hopefully, these things will even out. Long road ahead, and all that bs ...

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
It's extremely disturbing that this team is worse in every possession / shot metric at all three game phases (even strength, power play, penalty kill) than last year's team.. and our goaltenders aren't playing as good as they did last year.. and that team just barely snuck into 8th place.

If this keeps up, Nill is going to have a decision to make about Spezza. You can't justify keeping him if the rest of the team needs major re-structuring.

the Hemsky deal is becoming a nightmare fast.

McGinley

Captain, my captain
Feb 13, 2013
They're blowing opportunities at home though with a pretty cushy schedule in terms of rest.

Teams that play for OT get roasted in the playoffs.

H9gc9bK.png

Uncle Hulka

Aug 1, 2014
The Stars really are giving everyone good reason to say they're still a playoff bubble team. I'm starting to question Ruff's systems. Not saying throw him under the bus, but what he's got going isn't working. Switch up the gameplan.

Well, they're usually fun to watch. Probably not a team built for the playoffs yet, though. Assuming they get that far. This looks like the Phoenix Suns of the NHL.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
It's extremely disturbing that this team is worse in every possession / shot metric at all three game phases (even strength, power play, penalty kill) than last year's team.. and our goaltenders aren't playing as good as they did last year.. and that team just barely snuck into 8th place.

If this keeps up, Nill is going to have a decision to make about Spezza. You can't justify keeping him if the rest of the team needs major re-structuring.

It's 10 games. Plenty of time to turn it around.

Noodletoro

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
On the loser point...

The difference between the Stars teams that barely missed the playoffs the last few years and the bubble teams that beat them out were those points. They were just a bit better enough to keep games close to get those points. The Stars weren't. Obviously its deflating but its better than outright losing in regulation.

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
It's 10 games. Plenty of time to turn it around.

yeah but how? Seguin / Spezza / Benn aren't going to magically start producing even more than they had so far, and I don't see Nichushkin and Gonchar coming back having that huge of an impact.

then again maybe Gonchar will be good for this team.. The defense is just lost out there, and Gonchar despite all his faults can make a good zone exit pass - he was the best on the team at it by a wide margin last year.

Uncle Hulka

Aug 1, 2014

I advise you to start drinking heavily.

But, really, Spezza has been great and Hemsky was and will always be streaky. A game or two ago he was the best player on the ice, but had to deal with fourth liners and couldn't do much with that.

Noodletoro

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
Also

Through 10 games this season

4-2-4 @ 12 points

Through 10 games last season

4-5-1 @ 9 points

Given that (with Nemeth + Gonchar out) the defense is worse, the goaltending has been worse, and only the offense has seen improvement..I think we are where we are supposed to be.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
yeah but how? Seguin / Spezza / Benn aren't going to magically start producing even more than they had so far, and I don't see Nichushkin and Gonchar coming back having that huge of an impact.

then again maybe Gonchar will be good for this team.. The defense is just lost out there, and Gonchar despite all his faults can make a good zone exit pass - he was the best on the team at it by a wide margin last year.

The bad defense is bad enough to make you miss Gonchar... Says a lot about just how bad it is. Gonchar would actually be an improvement.

Uncle Hulka

Aug 1, 2014
The bad defense is bad enough to make you miss Gonchar... Says a lot about just how bad it is. Gonchar would actually be an improvement.

Sad to agree with that, but Gonchar did look decent in preseason. Of course, comparatively speaking.

Noodletoro

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
Yes play Kari tomorrow. Tonight was not a high pressure effort from the Ducks. Make up for this **** effort tomorrow. Playing Lindback could get really really ugly.

TestGrave

Nov 30, 2013
Central Florida
He can't if the Stars have any desire to win. Kari wasn't exactly under siege tonight.

Well I rather take another bad performance tomorrow and hope they will finally look into alternatives and after that we will have Nuke/Gonchar back and a little breathingroom for a new gameplan...

Maybe, even maybe Lindback can get us a win tomorrow night and I would take this also.

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
In addition the usual panic and frustration after a loss, it's important to remember that they've played five and five on the road, and at home against mostly playoff teams (Columbus has fallen, but Philly should rebound and New Jersey could make a push with a deadline move).

Still, this is on Ruff. He's been giftwrapped four lines, and instead we're back to being the same one line team and are 1-0-4 at home. That's inexcusable with this kind of talent. I actually like Ruff, and still think this team makes the playoffs even with the superline intact. But even with the line paying regular season dividends, why sacrifice building chemistry during the regular season with such a flexible roster? Especially since teams will better defend a one line team in the playoffs.

Uncle Hulka

Aug 1, 2014
In addition the usual panic and frustration after a loss, it's important to remember that they've played five and five on the road, and at home against mostly playoff teams (Columbus has fallen, but Philly should rebound and New Jersey could make a push with a deadline move).

Still, this is on Ruff. He's been giftwrapped four lines, and instead we're back to being the same one line team and are 1-0-4 at home. That's inexcusable with this kind of talent. I actually like Ruff, and still think this team makes the playoffs even with the superline intact. But even with the line paying regular season dividends, why sacrifice building chemistry during the regular season with such a flexible roster? Especially since teams will better defend a one line team in the playoffs.

Everybody says that the line will be broken up once Val returns, but I kinda wonder if this is some sort of ploy to convince Spezza to sign a new deal. Ok, that's stupid I guess. Blame the beer.

MetalGodAOD*

I think Ruff was outcoached heavily tonight as well. Still a fan of him overall but he's gotta realize the way they're playing right now is very predictable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad