GDT: Game 1: Seattle Kraken @ Vegas Golden Knights, 7:00 p.m. PT/10:00 p.m. ET

The Kraken will

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoonman32

Jun 22, 2011
Entertaining game to say the least! Eberle hitting the crossbar on the first shift of the game would have made it a totally different game had that gone in. Coming back from 0-3 showed heart which is really going to be the identity of this team. Stylistically, it will be interesting seeing what kind of game they settle into as the season goes along. Tonight they showed they can carry the play but that aggressiveness comes at a cost defensively. The score could have easily been lopsided with Vegas hitting posts and getting way too many good looks. They can definitely tighten things up defensively but I think there's too much green on the blueline for them to be really stingy when it comes to goals against. There's going to be some growing pains with Dunn, Fleury, and Lauzon. 55 looked good tonight though. Still be fun to watch them grow!

Biggest disappointment so far for me is Appleton. He just looks he hasn't clicked at all anywhere in the lineup. Hope he turns it around.

Geekie is making good on that expansion pick. Jake Bean who?

Meuracas

Nov 2, 2013
Welcome to the league Kraken, hope you get your first W out of the way next game!

Did Barré-Boulet play and if so, how did he look?

BeniersIsKraken

2022-23 Adopted Kraken: Matty Beniers
Jul 24, 2021
Welcome to the league Kraken, hope you get your first W out of the way next game!

Did Barré-Boulet play and if so, how did he look?
He didn’t play with a bunch of guys returning from the COVID list for the game tonight (Oleksiak, Donskoi, McCann and Johansson).

Hoping he’ll play over Sheahan going forward once he gets some practice time.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Sh**ty and absolutely unnecessary goal to lose the game.

Larsson can't make that outlet pass and I guess using the skate like Stephensson is Ok to score goals according to the rule book.
Though, I found it hilarious by the commentators to talk about inside and outside the skate and Stephensson just trying to stop when you could clearly see him change the angle and slightly kicking it.

Overall I liked the effort and the team rewarding themselves with three goals.
Though, we need to tighten up a bit more and try to be more balanced cause giving up all those 3vs2 rushes will get you beaten a lot in the NHL:

I actually ended up muting the tv at that time. Weekes seems to be a very bad analyst/commentator and these national games are going to be annoying because a lot of these guys will just try to pretend to throw stuff about Seattle.

I think those 3v2 rushes have been Vegas' bread and butter for a while. We definitely need to be more careful about turning the puck over in the zone. I was thrilled by our fore-checking. Even a team like Vegas was struggling to get the puck out of their zone.

Like you pointed out, the overall effort was really good. I was very proud to see the team bounce back after being down 0-3. Can't wait till we get Gourde back. I think Fleury needs to sit for Soucy. He had a noticeably bad game and coughed the puck up a few times.

BeniersIsKraken

Jul 24, 2021
Three of the goals were definitely preventable, and Grubauer probably should have done better on the first one. We'll have to tighten those outlet passes from our own end that led directly to goals (Dunn, Gio and Larsson).

Reactions: Toomany7pins

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

Yeah. I didn't see that angle yesterday but with what they had shown I thought it could have gone either way. This angle certainly makes it look like more of a kick.

Either way, its done. Just hope that the boys got some confidence with how they played the last 2/3rd of the game. We definitely lack some finishers on this team so need to find to score more off screens or with an in-front presence. Donato's goal was a prime example of how we need to manufacture goals.

BeniersIsKraken

Jul 24, 2021
Biggest disappointment so far for me is Appleton. He just looks he hasn't clicked at all anywhere in the lineup. Hope he turns it around.

Geekie is making good on that expansion pick. Jake Bean who?

I was also disappointed with Appleton yesterday, but it's also only 1 regular season game into the campaign, so hopefully he comes along soon. I do think a line of ABB-Geekie-Appleton could be a great line to grow together over the years and one that offers a bit of everything and their individual talents can help to offset others' weaknesses.

Reactions: Spoonman32

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Just one game, but the Kraken showed a lot of fight recovering from a 3-0 deficit to Vegas at home. It will take a while for these guys to get on the same page, but there were a lot of positives in that first game to build upon. And Geekie looks like he may have real star potential.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
Solid first showing. Some tough breaks early on, but the grit and comeback spirit can't be understated. Some promising line chemistry even missing several players. Looking forward to seeing this squad develop.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
I was afraid of blowout so they did okay for first game. That kicked in goal ughhh and ofcourse it's the winner! They had horrible 1st period, good 2nd, and if not for the kicked in goal pretty solid 3rd period.

Reactions: Toomany7pins

J Corso

Sep 22, 2020
Fanny Bay
They really need to change that rule. Either make it all kicks or no kicks count. The try and judge how much of a kick thing hasn't worked for years because it was extremely obvious that he moved his skate forward to add momentum and a new direction to the puck. Which would be defined as "kicking" to most of the world.

I'd make the rule to say that all kicks are allowed as long as the skate is on the ice. That eliminates potential danger from plays and makes it easy to conclusively rule on kicks that go to video replay.

BeniersIsKraken

Jul 24, 2021
I was afraid of blowout so they did okay for first game. That kicked in goal ughhh and ofcourse it's the winner! They had horrible 1st period, good 2nd, and if not for the kicked in goal pretty solid 3rd period.
Interesting perspective, funny how we all see the game differently. I thought that we were quite solid in the 1st period (outside of the turnover leading to the second goal), not great for the first half of the 2nd and great for the second half of the 2nd, and solid for the 3rd. Outside of those three preventable goals (all d-man turnovers on zone exit passes) and when we were under insurmountable pressure to start the 2nd from Vegas' PP, I thought we did quite well for our first real game as a team.

Reactions: kihei

UseYourHedman

Hold my beer for a sec
Mar 17, 2018
PNW
Tough game to lose, but I'm optimistic about the future. I was surprised with all the defensive breakdowns, but liked what I saw overall. Hopefully that was Grub's worst game of the year. SMH that game #1 they get hosed by a questionable call.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
They really need to change that rule. Either make it all kicks or no kicks count. The try and judge how much of a kick thing hasn't worked for years because it was extremely obvious that he moved his skate forward to add momentum and a new direction to the puck. Which would be defined as "kicking" to most of the world.

I'd make the rule to say that all kicks are allowed as long as the skate is on the ice. That eliminates potential danger from plays and makes it easy to conclusively rule on kicks that go to video replay.

Yep, either you can or you can't use your skate to score a goal.

All this rule does is create some grey area in the rule books and wiggling room for decisions to be made.
And as soon as you got this there's going to be different interpretations by different refs and folks in the replay center.

Still, it was a good first showing and we now have to try and tighten up defensively to get our first point(s) in Nashville.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
DOes Seattle have anyone better as a winger for top line than Eberle. I say no. There lies the issue.

This is an expansion team 1 game in. I'm talking ideally, but your message should be for others on this board who already hate Eberle when in fact he's being asked to be something he's not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad