The Kraken will

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Turnovers were an issue but that should and will get cleaned up over time

Overall Im very happy with how we looked and played, we fought back against one of the better teams in the league, onto Nashville

Reactions: Ginger Papa

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
Good effort. Unfortunate result, bogus winning goal, but what you have to like is no quit in this team. No need to panic with a close loss in the home opener of a pretty good hockey team.
Especially liked Geekie and Tanev and I thought Lauzon looked really good too. He might be a huge surprise this year.
Overall, despite the loss, it was a good game.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
You gotta lose hockey games, and that’s probably the toughest one to win. They looked very good. The issues were there, but they’ll improve and that’s great.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Yeah that was a heck of a game against a “cup favorite”. We lost on a bs call in my opinion, that was a deliberate kick motion but w/e. Long season ahead like what I saw so far from the team. Granted they aren’t gonna have that intensity for 82 games but we’ll find our rhythm. Dunn was really bad though….

Reactions: Toomany7pins

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Sh**ty and absolutely unnecessary goal to lose the game.

Larsson can't make that outlet pass and I guess using the skate like Stephensson is Ok to score goals according to the rule book.
Though, I found it hilarious by the commentators to talk about inside and outside the skate and Stephensson just trying to stop when you could clearly see him change the angle and slightly kicking it.

Overall I liked the effort and the team rewarding themselves with three goals.
Though, we need to tighten up a bit more and try to be more balanced cause giving up all those 3vs2 rushes will get you beaten a lot in the NHL:

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Agreed. I’ve liked everyone else in the top six except Eberle tonight.

Eberle should be a 2nd line wing with someone else creating for him. When placed in a primary role like he will be this season it's going to be very frustrating. He's all hands and no body. He's going to score an impressive goal or two, but when he's not scoring he's not adding much to the team. Not big hit. No real forecheck. Etc.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Though, we need to tighten up a bit more and try to be more balanced cause giving up all those 3vs2 rushes will get you beaten a lot in the NHL:
Vegas is a fast team, but those 3 on 2 opportunities for Vegas were inexcusable. What was Sheahan doing on the first goal?

BTW, I changed my username. I will be completing my transition to a Kraken fan within the next 2 weeks with a new avatar.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Vegas is a fast team, but those 3 on 2 opportunities for Vegas were inexcusable. What was Sheahan doing on the first goal?

BTW, I changed my username. I will be completing my transition to a Kraken fan within the next 2 weeks with a new avatar.

thats a heck of a name. I laughed. You’re going to have to create a heck of an avatar to match.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

Yeah, those 3 on 2 rushes happened way too often and mostly because we were really aggressive and didn't protect the middle defensively.

BTW: Nice name. Gonna be hard to come up with a non offensive avatar. :laugh:

Reactions: Spoonman32

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Eberle should be a 2nd line wing with someone else creating for him. When placed in a primary role like he will be this season it's going to be very frustrating. He's all hands and no body. He's going to score an impressive goal or two, but when he's not scoring he's not adding much to the team. Not big hit. No real forecheck. Etc.

DOes Seattle have anyone better as a winger for top line than Eberle. I say no. There lies the issue.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
on the 4th goal, was it a clear kicking motion like he moves his skate towards the net kicking the puck in the process putting the puck in the net. Its a very very subjective call when its not clearly obvious and i mean obvious. Like you are going to kick a soccer ball obvious. What happens after skate touches the puck doesn't matter. It maters what does the player do with his skate before it touches the puck that's where it matters. Again does he go to move the skate in a motion like you were gonna kick something before touching the puck?

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
on the 4th goal, was it a clear kicking motion like he moves his skate towards the net kicking the puck in the process putting the puck in the net. Its a very very subjective call when its not clearly obvious and i mean obvious. Like you are going to kick a soccer ball obvious. What happens after skate touches the puck doesn't matter. It maters what does the player do with his skate before it touches the puck that's where it matters. Again does he go to move the skate in a motion like you were gonna kick something before touching the puck?

Stephenson clearly takes his weight off his skate and flicks the puck with it into the net. For decades this would have been waived off, but ever since they changed the rule to allow redirections with the skate instead of just a carom, they have gotten really loose with these calls. After I saw the replay, I knew they wouldn't overturn it, just based on precedence, but that does not in any way change the fact that it was kicked in.

Tough break.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Stephenson clearly takes his weight off his skate and flicks the puck with it into the net. For decades this would have been waived off, but ever since they changed the rule to allow redirections with the skate instead of just a carom, they have gotten really loose with these calls. After I saw the replay, I knew they wouldn't overturn it, just based on precedence, but that does not in any way change the fact that it was kicked in.

Tough break.

Sounds like the issue is more to do with the rule than the call itself. Why did they even change the rule in the first place.

Reactions: thai jet

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Sounds like the issue is more to do with the rule than the call itself.
It's always been with interpretation of the rule.

The rule now says that you can "pivot your skate to redirect a puck" where it used to be, "you can not move your skate at all so the puck just has to bounce off of it".

The spirit of the rule was that you can twist your foot to change the bank angle to redirect it, but ever since they took the replay decision away from the refs to speed up the process and set up their review department in Toronto, they have allowed players to use their skates like pinball flippers to kick in goals. Hell, since the rule change, I have seen some goals allowed where there is no way you can argue they weren't kicked in, and even the special consultant guys on the broadcast from the rule committee and the announcers are dumbfounded when they are upheld.

The rule change came in when league scoring was down, and I think that influenced how they initially ruled it on the replays in Toronto, and it has just sorta set a precedence. It's lame, but it is what it is.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
It's always been with interpretation of the rule.

The rule now says that you can "pivot your skate to redirect a puck" where it used to be, "you can not move your skate at all so the puck just has to bounce off of it".

The spirit of the rule was that you can twist your foot to change the bank angle to redirect it, but ever since they took the replay decision away from the refs to speed up the process and set up their review department in Toronto, they have allowed players to use their skates like pinball flippers to kick in goals. Hell, since the rule change, I have seen some goals allowed where there is no way you can argue they weren't kicked in, and even the special consultant guys on the broadcast from the rule committee and the announcers are dumbfounded when they are upheld.

The rule change came in when league scoring was down, and I think that influenced how they initially ruled it on the replays in Toronto, and it has just sorta set a precedence. It's lame, but it is what it is.

Yea it always has been and always will be a subjective call.

The only thing i could think off there had to be some controversial call at some point that resulted in them changing it.

I'm more concern of why was the player allowed to be in that position in the first place than the goal itself. Sounds like Seattle's Defense was kinda lacking at times.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Tough way to lose even though i don't really have a big problem with the call, Grubauer should've had it easily and let in another stinker on the first goal.
But overall a pretty good first game considering the nerves, covid uncertainty, and still need to get gourde in the lineup.

More practice and team building time, settle in after the first home game and playoffs should be attainable in the Pacific.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I'm more concern of why was the player allowed to be in that position in the first place than the goal itself. Sounds like Seattle's Defense was kinda lacking at times.

It was a pretty brutal turnover near the blueline. I think it was Larsson, (don't quote me on that, I haven't watched the replay), fired an extremely ill-advised pass trying to force a two zone pass right up the middle, straight into 3 knights skating hard up ice.

There were quite a few I'll advised forced passes tonight that turned into great scoring chances for Vegas. It is their first game in a new system. Not too surprising.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Yeah that was a heck of a game against a “cup favorite”. We lost on a bs call in my opinion, that was a deliberate kick motion but w/e. Long season ahead like what I saw so far from the team. Granted they aren’t gonna have that intensity for 82 games but we’ll find our rhythm. Dunn was really bad though….
Blues fan here.

That has and will always be the knock on Dunn IMO. He can be downright brutal in his own zone and has to be severely sheltered. His play in the bubble vs Vancouver was some of the worst defensive hockey I have seen from a NHL defensemen.

Hopefully he can improve in Seattle. He has a good shot and offensive upside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad