Post-Game Talk: | Game #1 | Pens win over Yotes | Zucker and Geno appreciation thread

Zucker:

• Never doubted him

Votes: 29 47.5%
  • Doubted him

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • I’m lying and I doubted him but won’t admit it

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • Ugene Magic doesn’t care, so he made a new gif

Votes: 7 11.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
From what I saw, McGinn and Poehling can both close in quickly on the forecheck. I didn’t see any of that from Archibald. If he can’t get that part of his game together, then it really screws up what the other two are trying to do and basically renders the line useless. I’ll be looking for that going forward.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
@Zirakzigil here's your new gif..

ldqcdsR.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Zirakzigil

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
From what I saw, McGinn and Poehling can both close in quickly on the forecheck. I didn’t see any of that from Archibald. If he can’t get that part of his game together, then it really screws up what the other two are trying to do and basically renders the line useless. I’ll be looking for that going forward.

Guarantee if they run Poehling - Blueger - McGinn that line clicks immediately.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I doubted Zucker, and still do. Negative chemistry with Malkin, and can’t stay healthy.

It’s his contract year, hopefully he proves me wrong in a contract year but either way, it should be adios after this season.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I doubted Zucker, and still do. Negative chemistry with Malkin, and can’t stay healthy.

It’s his contract year, hopefully he proves me wrong in a contract year but either way, it should be adios after this season.
...yeah last year. Granted it's one game but that's not what occurred. Get over his last two injury riddled seasons.

Reactions: BillPrep

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Lucky enough to see this one in person.

The defense is DRASTICALLY improved. They are really well rounded and play with an edge. This blueline is definitely capable of backstopping a Cup contending team. I love Petry and Rutta. Great pick ups. Petry is a perfect #3 that we have really been missing. Rutta is the perfect #5 we have been missing. I like POJ. He had a tough game, but I really like his length. He needs to play so we can see what we have in him. It's between him and Pettersson on this team.

Sid and Jake are sublime together. It's awesome seeing Sid have a winger that is as skilled and hockey smart as Jake after watching him have ham and eggers so long in his career. My hope is that Zucker and Kapanen keep on this trajectory and we can make a hockey trade. Zucker I'm 50/50 on keeping - Kapanen I really don't like him at all as a player. That's really the big thing with this team, there are pieces here now that I really, really like, but there still need to be some tweaks. Zucker, Pettersson, Kapanen, POJ...it'd be so nice to bring in a guy like Hornqvist was when we traded Neal. The defense has been rounded out beautifully...the forwards need some of that now.

Not a fan of how the 2nd period went. If it was a contending team, this game would have been way closer by our performance in the 2nd alone.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's still amazing to me that the Penguins managed to turn Matheson having a great season into Petry and Poehling. I'll never shit talk Matheson because I was probably one of his biggest fans on here, but Petry is just a clearly better player than him and brings such a welcomed element to this defense. Add on Poehling, who's not anything super special but is a solid depth guy, and it just makes it that much better.

I think this deal will have "Sutter for Bonino" impact. Petry is just so god damn good and will anchor a 2nd pair, to a point well beyond whatever Matheson or Marino could do.

Reactions: Genetic

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Had to DVR the game so late with my thoughts. Happy opener all! This is the first one without my Dad so.... it was a tough day. He used to always ask what the boards were saying when the Pens kicked ass. Lol!

++++ The defensive change was MONSTER. I thought POJ was the only meh. Petry was unreal. These guys are disrupting plays and it's a huge difference in the d-zone. Our d-zone was such an issue. I know it's only the Yotes, but it was the plays I saw that made a difference. I cannot say enough about Petry. SInce they decided to keep the core, I'm glad they got him. I loved Marino but Petry is really really solid.

Especially in front of the net. It felt like bodies were actually taking up space instead of standing/watching. We were hard to beat in the middle.

++++ Sid/G/Letang/Jake/Rusty/etc: I thought these guys were getting older and worse?!?!?!!? Holy heck they looked great. Brought a smile to my face. Jake Guentzel looks even better than ever. I'm blown away.

Geno looked fast in the 1 preseason game I saw. He looked REALLY fast tonight. Really powerful.

- Only negative I have is that 3rd line. Yikes. Early in the game the only zone time the Royes had was when the 3rd line was on the ice.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Overall Iwas really impressed with the effort and the fact that we were much quicker to the puck than the yotes. Heinen and Zucker very solid games KK as well. Sid and Jake were awesome. The competition gets tougher next time out, let's bring this effort and hopefully come away with another two points.

Malkin was a total faceoff-head shark tonight. We are going to get a beastly Geno this year.
Yes, his face off prowess tonight was very surprising, but very welcoming. I love what he brought to the game tonight as far as his intensity. It's a nice first game for him as well as his line as a whole.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
Some more thoughts that won't add anything that hasn't already been said, so happy for Zucker and Kap to get going in a positive direction. There are still valid quibbles on both, but with Zucker especially, well-earned.

Speaking of Kap, the pk was an obvious weak spot, but he wasn't the reason for it that I noticed. I hope logging some there helps him gain some confidence. Not saying that that's why he scored, but he did look, idk, a bit more settled?

I didn't watch any of the preseason, but gathered there many words have been devoted to all of the emphasis on it in camp. Keeping in mind the opponent, the ~new look~ PP was, in fact, a new look, with (mostly) the same personnel, and it was a force. The top unit had a meal, the second unit was solid. Encouraging.

Finally, there were a couple of gents sitting behind my friend and I who were doing their very best Letterkinney impressions, but fell short on the chirp game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad