GDT: Game 1: Montreal Canadiens @ Detroit Red Wings | 10/14/2022 | 7 PM ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Le Club de hockey Canadien vs Detroit Red Wings.

The season begins against a historic rival. Outlook for the Habs is grim. As of this writing Habs are +20,000 to win The Cup (Wings +6,000). Alas, historically, Habs get the best of the Wings. The only NHL team the Wings have a worst all-time winning percentage against is defunct (but also from Montreal). Montreal also has a mean hot dog game. Steamie all-dressed is a treasure. But enough about Montreal.

I am amped for Wings hockey to start. Why do we have to wait for Friday, Gary? Not expecting them to be great but the tide will begin to turn. Dare I say they might back into the playoffs.

We have days to toil before the action begins. What is your outlook on 2022-23? Will Seider be a Norris contender? Will they make the playoffs? Will Bertuzzi be wearing the Winged Wheel when the TDL ends? Are you going to opening night?

It will be a weird season for me as my schedule changed and now working a later shift. Games will be half over by the time I get out here in Arizona so I will likely be watching most of the games on the ESPN+ replay on office days. On WFH days, not going to lie, going to be watching while I work. Sorry, not sorry, boss.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida

The season begins against a historic rival. Outlook for the Habs is grim. As of this writing Habs are +20,000 to win The Cup (Wings +6,000). Alas, historically, Habs get the best of the Wings. The only NHL team the Wings have a worst all-time winning percentage against is defunct (but also from Montreal). Montreal also has a mean hot dog game. Steamie all-dressed is a treasure. But enough about Montreal.

I am amped for Wings hockey to start. Why do we have to wait for Friday, Gary? Not expecting them to be great but the tide will begin to turn. Dare I say they might back into the playoffs.

We have days to toil before the action begins. What is your outlook on 2022-23? Will Seider be a Norris contender? Will they make the playoffs? Will Bertuzzi be wearing the Winged Wheel when the TDL ends? Are you going to opening night?

It will be a weird season for me as my schedule changed and now working a later shift. Games will be half over by the time I get out here in Arizona so I will likely be watching most of the games on the ESPN+ replay on office days. On WFH days, not going to lie, going to be watching while I work. Sorry, not sorry, boss.
Boom! Nice to get the season rolling.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Hang on a sec.

sorry-what-did-5aecef.jpg

Could it be? An actual GAME DAY THREAD?!?

Facebook-Ad-1.png

Hop on the hype train, and LET'S GO!!!

chris-farley-tommy.gif

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011

I'm a Habs fan but the Wings were my favorite team to watch last year, along with Buffalo. What can I say, I'm a sucker for the underdog. Looking forward to this matchup, hoping for a good game and rooting for you guys to take a step forward this year. Have a great season!

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Yeah, should be at least all teams once on the first 2 days or something. Wings waiting for the Day 4 is stupid.
Teams playing regular season games in Europe while rest of league is playing exhibitions and still waiting for regular season action. This scheduling is, to quote Baba Booey, "a bit of a stumble".

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
IT'S PLAUSIBLIN' TIME!
To quote the band Cinderella... Sometimes, you don't know what you got until it's gone. The Wings will be without Jeff Blashill for the first time in over half a decade. They'll move into this new era hoping that a guy named Newsy can lead them back to greatness. And our announcing team will have to move on from the wonderful Manon Rheaume to a familiar face in Jimmy Howard. Sad farewells and new beginnings in the Motor City.

E: First attempt at a plausible Keats... and I did have to include a little bit of him pining after Ms. Rheaume after making that a joke I carried through seveal GDTs last year.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
The more I watch "Conference Preview" shows, the more I realize that these guys have next to no knowledge of 3/4 of the NHL outside of the few teams they personally follow. That said...I think Kevin Weekes is the only "analyst" who thinks Detroit will make any improvement over last year.

Reactions: r0bert8841

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
The more I watch "Conference Preview" shows, the more I realize that these guys have next to no knowledge of 3/4 of the NHL outside of the few teams they personally follow. That said...I think Kevin Weekes is the only "analyst" who thinks Detroit will make any improvement over last year.

Personally, when I've been looking for general league commentary, I've been going to The Hockey Guy on YouTube. He's pretty even handed, maybe to a fault, but he's obviously passionate about the game and really stays up on all teams to an impressive degree.

He had the Wings in the "wouldn't surprise me if they snuck into the playoffs but right now are on the outside" category.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Personally, when I've been looking for general league commentary, I've been going to The Hockey Guy on YouTube. He's pretty even handed, maybe to a fault, but he's obviously passionate about the game and really stays up on all teams to an impressive degree.

He had the Wings in the "wouldn't surprise me if they snuck into the playoffs but right now are on the outside" category.

That's about where I am, as well. I'm guessing they challenge for a wildcard spot, but it will more on other teams not doing as well as people think, and Detroit grabbing those points. I think the roster, this year, is good for 10-15 more points. The rest is all dependent on other teams having injuries, getting too old, or not playing up to expectations.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
The Powerplay units are such a departure from the last few years. We actually have a 2nd unit that has the ability to score.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011

Elmer 2nd PP unit (over Ras) whoa

Soderblom has better hands and knows how to use himself in the netfront. Ras is still growing into that kind of role. Best to let him keep his game simple and dominate at the things he does best (Faceoffs, Puck Pressure, Physicality)

Reactions: NickH8
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad