Game #1 : KINGS vs. WILD - 10/3/13 - Shootout Win!

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
I can see Muzzin hysteria is in full form already. The reality is he was fine. In fact Muzzin was ten times better than Greene who was absolutely brutal. Yeah Muzz wasn't drafted by the Kings -- you really need to get over it.

Thrice

To Be Everywhere...
Sep 27, 2007
Greene, Mitchell and Regehr were taken apart by Minnesota's quick forwards. All three of them looked awful.

drugold

drunk, goals&swagger
Jul 13, 2009
Brisbane,
:cry: Slave driver ... I'm working on it :sarcasm: we haven't played the Jets in like 3 or 4 years ... the template for them is a bit Atlanta Thrashered out dated ;)

I think I remember we got an ass whooping big time. WTF Chuck with a double and a 6-0 shut out

KingKopitar11*

Oh but they do. Martinez is the boy wonder despite having **** the bed last year and they don't like it.

shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif

bral

Go Kings!
Nov 30, 2004
Corona,CA
I don't have a problem with Muzzin...but if you try and tell me he's better than Martinez, I won't believe you. Simply put, Marty had a rough year but a GREAT camp. Sutter says he hasn't given Alec enough of a shot, despite being amazing during the cup run, and then Alec sits. Jake didn't get a lot of preseason action and Marty looked so good in his. And Jake plays. Does that make any sense?

I agree completely. I'm glad Muzzin is progressing but Alec deserves better. He's played great other than last year when he was hampered by injury. The Greene-Martinez pairing looked so solid in camp I don't understand how Sutter didn't go with them.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
I was at ice level. Cooke CLEARLY kicked the puck in.

We were outplayed for the entire 1st half of the game. We outplayed them the second half and earned the win. That is what it looked like in person.

Muzzin, I am happy to see so many people on board with him after how much garbage I took last season ;). He will be a good 4/6 guy when everything is said and done. So far so good. He had a good game tonight.

DD is one of the greatest Dmen I have ever seen play the game. I know that is allot to say and I have been in and around the game since the early 70's but it is true. What allot of people miss when watching him play is how ahead of the puck he is. He reads the game with the very best to ever play the position.

He is growing into his talent and looks better at the start of this season then he has since the world jr days. Soak it up Kingsfans because players like DD come along very, very rarely.

Clifford had one of the worst games of his career. He is still trying too hard to impress and he just doesn't have the chops to play that way. He is a guy who when he plays HIS game at HIS pace can be a very good and effective bottom 6er. If he can't turn that corner over the next 10 games or so then I hope we find a better home for the big red dog. He is a good player but knows that he can't go out and play like that and for a kid with as many NHL games as he has he should be reeling it in by now.

Frattin had a great game and while there are mistakes he hasn't played 82 NHL games yet so they are to be expected. He moves really well and plays a nice lite power forward game. I can't wait to see more of the grit that I saw when he played at UND added to his game. Gonna be fun to watch.

Quick was in mid season form.

Coach went off on Stoll and Greene at one point. It was an icy bench to start the second period (not allot of talking from where I was standing).

I am off to watch Gravel and Dowd next and then back east and will miss the WPG game. I hope it is as good a game as I think it will be. The Jets will make the playoffs this year (have a bet on that) and I think they will be a couple of games above the 500 mark at the mid season.

We looked overall like a team that needs to play its system perfectly to dominate and that our "vets" didn't want to do that tonight. It will come. I think we look good.

Pretty echo this point, but wanted to add a bit.
My pops and I were behind the Kings net on the side Cooke redirected it, and he very clearly kicked it. Even the people around thought the only way it would count was if he kicked to his stick.

Clifford was awful tonight, and Fraser gave me flashbacks to Jeff Guiliano with his dumb decisions and play. Dumb penalties, and Fraser is lucky he didn't get tossed for his boarding call.

Nino's hooking penalty on Brown was an absolute thing of beauty! Nino sticks his stick in Brown's arm, and DB clamps down and holds it there until the call is made. I love Brown completely taking advantage of a young kid's inexperience. Good stuff.

Mitchell definately seems to have lost a step and looked slow. The couple times Regehr, Greene, and Mitchell were out together in the third seemed terrifying.

Frattin looked really good, given more time to learn the system that line with Richards, and Carter should be deadly. Frattin looked lost a couple of times, but also generated some good chances and read where Carts or Richie would be and created a couple decent chances.

Someone needs to youtube that shift Lewis had in the 3rd where he blocked the open net shot, and send it to whoever is picking the team for the olympics. Dear team USA, you want this guy. Pretty sure he had a couple of blocked passes, the blocked shot, a couple of hits, a takeaway, then led a charge up ice in that one shift.

Williams also looked really good and seemed to the only guy trying to create anything in the 2nd period.

Oh and TG, tried looking around for you a bit to no luck. Next time you are in the area we'll have to meet up for sure. I really want to try and get to more Huskies games this year but it's a good two and half hour drive to St. Cloud from where I'm at in Minnesota so it's a bit too far to drive for a game and drive home.

Last edited:

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Back on the Muzzin thing. I think he played well last night, especially as the game went on. Martinez did have a great pre-season and camp though and needs to play as well. Maybe Sutter needs to work out a schedule for the two so they both get in the lineup on a regular basis. Somewhere down the line the Kings will be happy that they have both of them.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
:cry: Slave driver ... I'm working on it :sarcasm: we haven't played the Jets in like 3 or 4 years ... the template for them is a bit Atlanta Thrashered out dated ;)

Wooops! Sorry about that. I honestly hadn't checked and you are typically almost clairvoyant when it comes to those things. :)

It has been a long time since we played the Jets, I had almost forgotten that they had ever moved. Here is to a great season and a win against the Jets and another season of your excellent GDT's!:handclap:

Captain Mittens*

Back on the Muzzin thing. I think he played well last night, especially as the game went on. Martinez did have a great pre-season and camp though and needs to play as well. Maybe Sutter needs to work out a schedule for the two so they both get in the lineup on a regular basis. Somewhere down the line the Kings will be happy that they have both of them.

Muzzin and Martinez are a luxury. We should use them to give Mitchell some days off

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
After the games of 10/3:

Currently, the projected cutoff for the playoffs in the West is 82 points, with Minnesota and Calgary sharing the bubble (one would be in, one would be out) - so 83 points is the target for the Kings to make the playoffs clear.

This translates to a record of 40-40-1 in the remaining 81 games, or a points ("winning") percentage of .500.

(Um, duh, I know this is too early, but I'm considering this MY training camp for when the data actually mean something :) )

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
After the games of 10/3:

Currently, the projected cutoff for the playoffs in the West is 82 points, with Minnesota and Calgary sharing the bubble (one would be in, one would be out) - so 83 points is the target for the Kings to make the playoffs clear.

This translates to a record of 40-40-1 in the remaining 81 games, or a points ("winning") percentage of .500.

(Um, duh, I know this is too early, but I'm considering this MY training camp for when the data actually mean something :) )

Alright!

HansH. will you do this again this year? Maybe we can get a sticky for you so we can follow your updates. Thanks for being on top of it early.

GKG!

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
After the games of 10/3:

We are already on a pace for 164 points, so basically we have 82 points to give away over the season. Good to know :handclap:

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Muzzin and Martinez are a luxury. We should use them to give Mitchell some days off

I think it would be a wise thing to do as the season progresses. No need for Mitchell to play 82 games.

I wonder how long the Kings will carry 8 defenseman. I also wonder if Sutter sees Ellerby as more of a Mitchell replacement if Mitchell is out of the lineup for a game here and there.

Right now I think Mitchell needs to play as much as he is physically able in order to get into game shape and get his timing back, but say this back-to-back the Kings have tonight in Winnipeg was 30 or 40 games into the season, then I wouldn't have a problem with Sutter sitting him out for the second game at all.

The Kings could roll with

Regehr Doughty
Muzzin Voynov
Greene Martinez

and still be better on the back end than most NHL teams. Maybe Muzzin and Regehr swap places in that situation, since we have seen that Muzzin can be effective when playing with Doughty.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
I don't know why there's people who thought Muzzin had a brutal night. He looked pretty good to me.

Overall, i'm not that impressed with what I saw from Clifford/Fraser/Regehr last night. I think i'd put in Carcillo tonight and put Brown back on the top line. It's only one game, so i'll give these guys a handful more before jumping to conclusions.

That first goal not being disallowed is beyond me. Did they actually give a reason that it *was* allowed? That is one of the most clear kicks i've ever seen. Even Cooke knew it was a kick as he was laughing on the bench. Ridiculous.

Ultimately, i'm happy with the two points. We were outplayed for much of the game and got lucky to win that. Kopi and Carter look great so far this year. I think they will be 1-2 in goal scoring.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
After the games of 10/3:

Well played.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad