GDT: Game #1| Jan. 19, 2013|Penguins at Flyers |3:00 p.m. ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhillyPhinn

Aug 5, 2007
Turku, Finland
I know it's against the Pens, but after watching so much Finnish and Swedish hockey this season, I am completely overwhelmed by the tempo and energy in the game. I watched 90% of Flyers games last year, and this game feels like it's played at playoff-level intensity. Is it just because I've watched so much of the low-intensity, low-tempo european leagues lately, or is this game super-intense for a regular season game, even against the Pens.?

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Intermission report was talking about G's goal-- about how Kunitz blew the coverage. He wasn't covering anyone like I said. We could still have a zero on the board. Glad we don't.

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
I know it's against the Pens, but after watching so much Finnish and Swedish hockey this season, I am completely overwhelmed by the tempo and energy in the game. I watched 90% of Flyers games last year, and this game feels like it's played at playoff-level intensity. Is it just because I've watched so much of the low-intensity, low-tempo european leagues lately, or is this game super-intense for a regular season game, even against the Pens.?

It's a combo of both

Jumping

Jun 17, 2010
Atlanta Ga

More talent = faster pace

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Looks about normal to me! If anything it looks a bit sloppy overall, everyone seems a bit rusty/off, thanks to playing elsewhere or not at all.

meph

Jan 17, 2012
i watched a bit of hockey here and there during the lockout, but this is just on another level
khl is such a borefest compared to this

54drinking

Apr 1, 2011

Given the shortened season every game is going to be a war. I'm going to enjoy every minute of it! :)

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
i watched a bit of hockey here and there during the lockout, but this is just on another level
khl is such a borefest compared to this

I watched a lot of the KHL this year

Some games are hit and miss..

Either it's like the devils of the 90s with the trap or it's comparable to the NHL

PhillyPhinn

Aug 5, 2007
Turku, Finland
Looks about normal to me! If anything it looks a bit sloppy overall, everyone seems a bit rusty/off, thanks to playing elsewhere or not at all.

Ok. I hadn't watched any finnish hockey in over a decade before this season, but this year I've watched multiple games every week, and that's been the only hockey I've seen since last years playoffs. Boy, does the finnish league suck compare to the NHL, or at least look slower due to the bigger ice.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
NA plays a more physical game-- and the rinks are smaller which causes a lot more interaction.

Flyerfan808

Apr 28, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Bryzgalov is keeping us in this one. Really impressed by his play last period.

I also like what I see from Simmonds, Laughton, and Giroux.

Voracek needs to pick up his game and know when to dump the puck.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Ok. I hadn't watched any finnish hockey in over a decade before this season, but this year I've watched multiple games every week, and that's been the only hockey I've seen since last years playoffs. Boy, does the finnish league suck compare to the NHL, or at least look slower due to the bigger ice.

I took someone who had only watched ECHL games to a live Caps game two years ago. He spent the whole game "holy ****."

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey

I don't know what the problem was in the SM Liiga this year.. According to some finnish posters, some incident in the pre-season caused the refs and the rest of the league to crack down on the more physical plays and everyone was scared to do anything.

When I watched various games last year it wasn't as bad as it was this year

And don't get me started on Assat blowing leads at home :facepalm:

Swic21

Jan 8, 2012
Canada
I know it's the first game of the season but everyone looks so damn slow. Coburn is a big fast guy, but has showed no speed. Voracek has looked like he's skating in quick sand. I thought Boracek played hockey during the lockout? Thank god we have Wellwood flying around the ice.

PhillyPhinn

Aug 5, 2007
Turku, Finland
I don't know what the problem was in the SM Liiga this year.. According to some finnish posters, some incident in the pre-season caused the refs and the rest of the league to crack down on the more physical plays and everyone was scared to do anything.

When I watched various games last year it wasn't as bad as it was this year

And don't get me started on Assat blowing leads at home :facepalm:

The fact that convinced me that the SM-liiga is much worse than before was when I saw a Tappara player who looked much better than the rest, and then was stunned to find out it was Ville Nieminen.

The bigger ice does make the game appear slower and less intense, though, as I didn't feel guys like Filppula or even Erik Karlsson looked superamazing compared to the regular SM-liiga guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad