GDT: Game 1: Hawks @ Blues 7:00 PM CDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
It's obvious that roy/morrow will be the ones sitting when osh/berglund come back, right?

Morrow might be the worst player in the post-season. He is horrible to begin with but playing the Hawks exacerbates his ineffectiveness. Paajarvi should be in the lineup on Saturday if Oshie/Berglund are still out.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I'm extremely happy for u guys. I did a fist pump when Miller saved the break away, and an even bigger fist pump when Ott set up the gwg. I'm rooting for you guys, as is most of the Sabres fan base. Good luck going forward!

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I was thinking about what to do when Oshie comes back and had a crazy idea, at least to start game 2.
Ott-Backes-Steen
Schwartz-Sobotka-Tarasenko
Oshie-Roy-Paajarvi
Porter-Lapierre-Cracknell

I know the SOB line has been a driving force for us all year, but I thought Ott did a nice job on the top line last night. We could push Oshie down to the third line and spread the scoring out a bit. I think it'd give the Hawks some problems. Plus, if it doesn't work, we could always switch Oshie and Ott.
I have to agree. Ott has been setting that lil dish since he has been here but no one could finish it and he helps backes since he's not 100%. I'd keep Reaves over MPS though. Putting oshie down on 3rd will spread the scoring threat nicely

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I said about 3 minutes before game time that I would have had Paajarvi in over Cracknell. Needless to say, I'm done questioning Hitch. (Did say Ott was best choice on top line though)

You know what names we didn't hear a lot of at all? Shaw and Bickell. I think that is because of Ott.

BluesTraveller

Mar 5, 2012
St Louis
I said about 3 minutes before game time that I would have had Paajarvi in over Cracknell. Needless to say, I'm done questioning Hitch. (Did say Ott was best choice on top line though)

You know what names we didn't hear a lot of at all? Shaw and Bickell. I think that is because of Ott.

Shaw made his presence felt with that dumb holding penalty he took in 2OT.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Man oh man, what a game. You think Tarasenko wants to win? He was he a monster out there all game. Basically all that needs to be said has been said so far, all I'll add is when Oshie comes back I want the SOB line to come back and keep Schwartz and Frank together.

RR10*

Ott is alright on the first line mainly because of Backes and Steen. They are not always productive but they seem to never have a day off. You can put anyone in there and it wont be bad.

Steve Ott - David Backes - Alexander Steen
Jaden Schwartz - Vladimir Sobotka - Vladimir Tarasenko
Patrik Berglund - Derek Roy - TJ Oshie
Adam Cracknell - Maxim Lapierre - Ryan Reaves

This would be interesting!

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
As a fan of the opposing team, I have to say Tarasenko is one hell of a player. He's an SOB to play against. Like his game a lot. Always noticeable.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Reaves only played 10 minutes last night, 5 minutes less than any other player. I'd say there's a decent chance he sits game 2 if Oshie returns.

EDIT: JR's quote makes me optimistic that Oshie will be ready. "I was fooled into thinking Oshie would be ready to play in Game 1 but watching him fly around today I would surprised if he didn't play GM 2"

That would be nice.

Sushiko

Don’t touch my Bozak
Jul 7, 2011
PHX AZ
What a game, I really thought so many times we were done, but they really pulled thru in the OT and stepped up. Miller started to really impress me, and like everyone else, Schwartz and Tarasenko are amazing me. I can't wait for Oshie to come back. I was so damn nervous through the OT periods, I don't know how my heart is going to take the rest of this series. Loved our 4th line too. And thank you Steen for finally putting me out of my misery last night. Didn't think I was ever going to get to sleep. The penalties were killing me.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Still pumped about that game last night, that was incredible to watch.

Loved how guys like Lapierre, Porter and Cracknell stepped up. They played awesome. Really everyone was good, I thought Morrow was probably the least effective out of all of our forwards though.

Props to Miller, and Pietrangelo played a great game. That's what we need from him.

Sounds like Oshie will be back for game 2 which is awesome. A full lineup minus Berglund is looking pretty solid, so anytime we get him back will just be icing on the cake. He skated today too, so that's good.

RR10*

Loved seeing Miller step up and make the people bashing him look like a bunch of fools. Really enjoyed it. Wasn't his fault we were down. He should've had the first goal but those other 2 was not on him. Heck even the first goal was weak defense. Give Miller some help next game and he'll shut them down.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I love when you can tell when they just have a Blackhawk lined up along the boards for a hit.

HockeyGuy73

Oct 29, 2010
Tad south of STL.
Unless the score gets out of hand, there wont be any fighting in this series. And after watching the last 2 weeks of the regular season, Reaves didnt do much of that either. He has to be the odd man out when Oshie returns. Berglund, I'm really not concerend about him. He had a nice little stretch after the Olympics, but outside of that, he has just been okay. He is a bigger body t put out there, and maybe he would help on the faceoffs, but we seemed to get better on those too as the OTs rolled on. But after 1 game, I dont see anyone that deserves to come out. Unless its health related, Hitch wont pull Morrow. Hes one of his veteran Dallas guys.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Whoop whoop! Let's do this Blues fans! Let's knock down the tyrants from Chicago and steamroll to the next round! I was very happy to see you guys win. Thanks for that!

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Oshie is a MUST for Game 2. I'd like to have Berglund back as soon as possibleto help the overall depth, and probably take Morrow's place. The latter is really slowed by that late-season foot injury. I think The Hawks will be able to exploit that. If Ott is left on The Backes/Steen Line, The Blues can add another good 2-way line by teaming Oshie and Berglund with Roy. Then, with LaPierre's 4th Line playing well, and Schwartz/Sobotka/Tarasenko playing well, The Hawks would not be able to neutralise all those lines. The Blues might hold their own with 2 of The Hawks main lines, and be able to exploit Hawk weaknesses with their 3rd line.

jamers

bleep bop bloop
Sep 17, 2011
That was one hell of a game. The first period had me dreading the rest, as Miller just didn't look right, especially on the Kane breakaway. He just looked totally fooled.

Here's hoping you get more of that from Miller for the rest of it! When he's on... he's on.

RR10*

That was one hell of a game. The first period had me dreading the rest, as Miller just didn't look right, especially on the Kane breakaway. He just looked totally fooled.

Here's hoping you get more of that from Miller for the rest of it! When he's on... he's on.
Miller wanted to be patient and wait for the move but Kane surprised him. The only goal we could blame him for is the first one, but it wouldnt happen with good defense, they left Oduya wide open.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
What did Ott do besides the assist on the GW? I ask in earnest as I didn't see it. I thought the top line was a non-factor most of the game. Decent defensively, but otherwise meh. I'd like to know if I missed something that causes people to want Ott to continue on that line or if they are just high on the goal. It took almost 2 whole games for the top line to get one goal. Heck I only remember 3 total scoring opps from them. We need more than that going forward. I want Oshie on the first. 2 good scoring lines and 2 lines that can grind out a goal.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Miller wanted to be patient and wait for the move but Kane surprised him. The only goal we could blame him for is the first one, but it wouldnt happen with good defense, they left Oduya wide open.

exactly. Oshie makes every goalie look stupid with that 5 hole shot. It looked like miller was laughing after it happened

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
What did Ott do besides the assist on the GW? I ask in earnest as I didn't see it. I thought the top line was a non-factor most of the game. Decent defensively, but otherwise meh. I'd like to know if I missed something that causes people to want Ott to continue on that line or if they are just high on the goal. It took almost 2 whole games for the top line to get one goal. Heck I only remember 3 total scoring opps from them. We need more than that going forward. I want Oshie on the first. 2 good scoring lines and 2 lines that can grind out a goal.
Well he won 70% of the faceoffs while the rest of our team got dominated in the circle. He played physical, gave Toews a good whack that injured him for a bit. And then the assist.

So yeah, I'd say he played well. If you're expecting him to be a top line forward, you're going to be disappointed. He's only playing there out of necessity really, since we're missing two good top 9 forwards.

I mean, he didn't have a bad game at all. If you're gonna complain about Ott's game last night you're just looking for things to complain about.

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
Unless the score gets out of hand, there wont be any fighting in this series. And after watching the last 2 weeks of the regular season, Reaves didnt do much of that either. He has to be the odd man out when Oshie returns. Berglund, I'm really not concerend about him. He had a nice little stretch after the Olympics, but outside of that, he has just been okay. He is a bigger body t put out there, and maybe he would help on the faceoffs, but we seemed to get better on those too as the OTs rolled on. But after 1 game, I dont see anyone that deserves to come out. Unless its health related, Hitch wont pull Morrow. Hes one of his veteran Dallas guys.

I would have to leave Reaves on the 4th line. He was making some pretty big legal hits. He has pretty good speed on the forecheck and a better stick than most enforcers. He is a legit 4th line player even if he doesn't drop the gloves, plus there is always that option. We saw last year against the Kings that he can be a valuable contributor without dropping the gloves. The CPR line was very effective. I would say give Morrow a rest, he looks like he is still a little slow coming off his injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad