GDT: Game 1: Hawks @ Blues 7:00 PM CDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Blueser

Jan 28, 2012
I was so impressed by a number of players last night but a few highlights: Roy played with a ton of heart, too bad that shot hit the post, but he did help on the Schwartz goal. Lapierre was as good as I have seen him as a Blue. ON D, I thought Polak quietly played an outstanding game.

The one line I was unhappy with winds up scoring the game winner (my Ott goal prediction sort of came true). How does Cracknell not stay in the NHL? Which leads to my next point

Morrow looked even slower than usual, and should be the one who sits if we get someone back. I thought Reaves was pretty game on the 3rd line and had some real nice puckhandling moments, he's just not quite quick enough to be a rush player. Get him camped out in front of the net with Roy and Ott buzzing...

Wow, what a satisfying game.

Brez50

Mar 18, 2013
Central Illinois
That was my first professional playoff game of any kind that I've attended and boy did I pick an awesome one! Glad my unbeaten season attendance mojo paid off. I will also say that both Blues & Hawks fans in Sec 319 acted very classy and respectful. It made the game so much more enjoyable.

dadbiondo

Apr 8, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Took in the game in section 314 with my son! It was his first Blues Playoff game and man did he get to see a doozy! I've been to my fair share of Playoff games, including the Steen SH OT game last year, but I can't recall a time Scottrade was louder than last night. Unbelievable.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I can't fault miller on goal a 2 and 3. Hell price and quick were lit up too. This isn't the team that finished the season lol. I said that I didn't think losing Frank was the issue.....where can I order my helping of crow?

I'd say morrow sits when oshie comes back, can't justify anybody else

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I give Morrow credit for getting back on the ice, but I do think his foot is slowing him. However I also can't really recall plays where he was a liability defensively.

Can we finally give Hitchcock some credit here. I've seen pissing and moaning about his lines, the defensive pairings, etc. lately. He put lines together that I don't think any of us would have thought of intuitively (Ott on the top line?). But it was brilliant. Backes had the physical support he needed from Ott. No one was available that could replace Oshie's talents unless you put Schwartz up there (and leave a returning Tarasenko relatively exposed on the 2nd line). Hitch made it a priority to keep that 2nd line intact, and it was the right priority.

Tarsenko is a revelation. When videos are made in 10 years reprising the Blues historic Cup run, Tarasenko will be a perennial all-star and everyone will know it. But right now, we're watching the emergence of a special player on the big stage. It was so inspirational the way he worked his ass off to be in cardiovascular shape, the way he took the little slashes and kept right back at it. He went down to block a shot in like the first minute or two of the game and it gave me chills, the expression of his will to win. I immediately thought of him telling Elliott, "We'll get it back" and then going and getting it that next shift.

Hopefully Oshie is good to go soon. I'm starting to worry that maybe Berglund really is out for the playoffs and they're just not announcing it yet.

Who to sit? Really tough call. Probably Porter, since I really don't think there's a chance Morrow sits unless he starts to physically break down, despite his flat tire.

If the Blues can win tomorrow (the first game I get to attend in about 4 years) they really start to put some doubt and pressure on the Blackhawks.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Congrats on the W. I wasn't sure how long I could stay up last night, glad it ended while I was still awake.

Not much to say that hasn't already been said. I assume the one thing StL will focus on for game 2 is being more aware of Chicago's cherry-picking stretch plays. If Oshie and Berglund come back, I'd think Morrow and Porter would sit. Cracknell was tenacious and really impressed me. What else can be said about Tarasenko? What a bolt of energy he is for that team.

Anyway, will hope for good health and another strong game Saturday.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I give Morrow credit for getting back on the ice, but I do think his foot is slowing him. However I also can't really recall plays where he was a liability defensively.

Can we finally give Hitchcock some credit here. I've seen pissing and moaning about his lines, the defensive pairings, etc. lately. He put lines together that I don't think any of us would have thought of intuitively (Ott on the top line?). But it was brilliant. Backes had the physical support he needed from Ott. No one was available that could replace Oshie's talents unless you put Schwartz up there (and leave a returning Tarasenko relatively exposed on the 2nd line). Hitch made it a priority to keep that 2nd line intact, and it was the right priority.

Tarsenko is a revelation. When videos are made in 10 years reprising the Blues historic Cup run, Tarasenko will be a perennial all-star and everyone will know it. But right now, we're watching the emergence of a special player on the big stage. It was so inspirational the way he worked his ass off to be in cardiovascular shape, the way he took the little slashes and kept right back at it. He went down to block a shot in like the first minute or two of the game and it gave me chills, the expression of his will to win. I immediately thought of him telling Elliott, "We'll get it back" and then going and getting it that next shift.

Hopefully Oshie is good to go soon. I'm starting to worry that maybe Berglund really is out for the playoffs and they're just not announcing it yet. I also think tht if Chicago is gonna hack and whack our injured guys we Hoyle definitely be returning the favor. I want to see any player that gets a chance finish a really hard, but legal check on Toews.

Who to sit? Really tough call. Probably Porter, since I really don't think there's a chance Morrow sits unless he starts to physically break down, despite his flat tire.

If the Blues can win tomorrow (the first game I get to attend in about 4 years) they really start to put some doubt and pressure on the Blackhawks.
You just summed up all my thoughts, and did it way better than I ever could have done. Particularly on Ott. Boy was I wrong about him being on the top line.

PitchDoug

Nov 27, 2011
Smile hasn't left my face today.

Missed joining in the board last night. That was incredible. After being so deflated thinking that the great team we had for most of the season was suddenly gone when it mattered most and then ... last night. So encouraging that they pulled together with that performance. And great rebound by Miller. Now keep it up. LGB

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013
From Buffalo. Nice win Blues. Agree with many that Morrow should be the one to sit, no foot speed left at all. While not a Roy fan, thought he played well last night. Good luck in game 2!

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I was so impressed by a number of players last night but a few highlights: Roy played with a ton of heart, too bad that shot hit the post, but he did help on the Schwartz goal. Lapierre was as good as I have seen him as a Blue. ON D, I thought Polak quietly played an outstanding game.

The one line I was unhappy with winds up scoring the game winner (my Ott goal prediction sort of came true). How does Cracknell not stay in the NHL? Which leads to my next point

Morrow looked even slower than usual, and should be the one who sits if we get someone back. I thought Reaves was pretty game on the 3rd line and had some real nice puckhandling moments, he's just not quite quick enough to be a rush player. Get him camped out in front of the net with Roy and Ott buzzing...

Wow, what a satisfying game.
I think the one thing keeping Cracknell from being in the NHL full time is his lack of foot speed.

TerminatorBlue

Nov 11, 2007
Canada
I thought we played great after the 1st period, Tarsenko changes the makeup of the team as he gives us another line of scoring besides Steen. Like someone else said you have to give Hitchcock credit, he got the team going(even though we give up way to many breakaways/partial breakaways) and Miller played well in OT. It's just the first game so I'm not getting too excited.

BTW is Jaden Schwartz the most under rated player in the NHL?

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Roy looked great last night, I think he'll stay.
Who thought Roy would find his place as 3rd line two-way player? Put him out with grinders and he's suddenly playing the best he has all year. Value of simplifying the game, I guess.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Watching the progression of young players is one of my favorite aspects of watching NHL hockey. It's just amazing how Schwartz and Tarasenko have developed into such offensive catalysts for this team. They have even more room to grow, Tarasenko especially.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I was thinking about what to do when Oshie comes back and had a crazy idea, at least to start game 2.
Ott-Backes-Steen
Schwartz-Sobotka-Tarasenko
Oshie-Roy-Paajarvi
Porter-Lapierre-Cracknell

I know the SOB line has been a driving force for us all year, but I thought Ott did a nice job on the top line last night. We could push Oshie down to the third line and spread the scoring out a bit. I think it'd give the Hawks some problems. Plus, if it doesn't work, we could always switch Oshie and Ott.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad