Pre-Game Talk: Game #1 Habs vs Knights, Monday June 14th 9pm

Who will take round 3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
Vegas is not ready for this jelly, let's get a train run on us.

I feel like I really don't know what's going to happen. Are we pretenders from a weak division? Are we better than we think? I also think no matter how confident anyone is predicting either of the two outcomes, no one really knows. For sure someone is going to be right. There are only two outcomes. But no one really knows. It's an odd year where all teams just played in their own divisions and even in a normal year you can never predict these things. Much less now. It's like going into overtime those two elimination games against the Leafs. This is it. Here goes nothing.

Reactions: 417

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Sometimes a bull on crystal meth is exactly what you need to win.

Ok, I am just making that up, but gotta stay positive.

Playoff teams face injuries and have to find ways to win when missing key players. If it's meant to be, then we will find ways to do it.

You are absolutely right though. There is no reason to say that Romanov might not be what we need for this series.

And yes, when the Leafs lost Tavares, I said good teams find a way to overcome. I don't want to go out like a whiner like them, I don't want to say if we had Petry we might of this or that. Does it suck, yes. Really because we don't have a defensemen, arguably even a player, who can gain the zone like Petry. We aren't getting that skating ability from our other top three defensemen, but we do seem to be getting clean crisp breakout passes from almost all of them. So that's a positive.

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
You are absolutely right though. There is no reason to say that Romanov might not be what we need for this series.

And yes, when the Leafs lost Tavares, I said good teams find a way to overcome. I don't want to go out like a whiner like them, I don't want to say if we had Petry we might of this or that. Does it suck, yes. Really because we don't have a defensemen, arguably even a player, who can gain the zone like Petry. We aren't getting that skating ability from our other top three defensemen, but we do seem to be getting clean crisp breakout passes from almost all of them. So that's a positive.

The problem with Romanov is that Ducharme only played him 9½ minutes last game. Thats not enough ice time for him to be a factor out there.

HostileCapSpace

Jul 1, 2019
Montreal
That was an accident waiting to happen. There should have never been a hole at or around shoulder level like that.

Reminds me of the Chara hit on Pacioretty which Price called the "turnbuckle" or something when he hit a stanchion. League changed all the glasses near the benches after that. Wonder if the "hole" thing will change.

EDIT: Found a player who got a serious injury having his face smashed in a camera hole: Darryl Boyce. I won't post pictures of the end result but it's not pretty. This hole thing seems like a terrible idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: leopod and Runner77

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
We did our thing, now it is your turn

don't mind me, until next isles game I am just another habs fan, yessir

I fit right in

source.gif

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'm most worried about the Knights forechecking ability...that's gonna be the biggest difference between the Leafs and the Jets.

They're really ferocious forechecking.

Reactions: tinyzombies

Mr Mom

Sep 17, 2014
I think that during a year like this. Coaching is going to be more of a factor than usual.
As many of you stated, teams have only played teams in their own division.
sure you can talk to players, you can watch tapes, but its just not the same.

I don't know much about football, but I do know this.
The Patriots, had a big edge with Belichick as a coach.
I saw many games...... especially in the playoffs. Where the Pat's were down, even down and outplayed in the first half.
Then...... in the second half BAM! Belichick.
He made adjustments during the game. Especially during half time.
It was a different game all together. Everything that worked for the opponents stopped working. Offense and defense.

So, in these semifinal matches...... I think that the coach that can make the best adjustments is going to give their team a big advantage.
This is where we get to see what DD can do as a coach.
If...... the Habs can pull off a win. I think that the main reason will be coaching.
Adjustments during the game mean Everything.

Especially, because with these 4 teams that are left. I think very few mistakes will be made.
Tbh, I'm very impressed with DD so far.
He said "can we write our own story "
Well, I think that he's the one holding the pen.

Reactions: aresknights

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
So, in these semifinal matches...... I think that the coach that can make the best adjustments is going to give their team a big advantage.

This is one of the things that scares me about Vegas. And I am not sure if it's the coaching, but in multiple games when they were down or scored on first they came back. We are yet to see if the Habs are able to do that because, while it's great that they haven't been trailing since two series ago, they have yet to win a game where at any point they were trailing.

The Knights have been really resilient. I fear that with the Habs we kinda have to be that strike first team. Maybe they will prove me wrong though.

Reactions: Mr Mom

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
A broken Petry is still probably better than a healthy Gus/Oulette/Merrill

Gustafsson is great on breakouts. Tatar is 15-0 on breakouts.... he HAS to be in the lineup, especially against Stone stripping pucks on that side - I would reunite our top line. But instead of possession and the danger of counterattack, DD will probably stay with Lehk and dump the puck out. Put him in for Byron with KK/Anderson who have not been producing regularly. Staal, KK, Merrill, Edmundson - terrible, and Chariot (saddled with Weber shoveling pucks at him) the worst along with Weber. That pair has to be broken up. Ed was better vs Wpg, but a big test coming tomorrow.

Vegas plays a heavy 1-2-2 forecheck, unlike Tor and Wpg..

E3VM70DX0AQ3W_K.jpg

198653379_10159289979901221_1421882435027752327_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 417 and HabsMD97

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
A broken Petry is still probably better than a healthy Gus/Oulette/Merrill

Gus is the single best example of a beer league all star making good and playing in the NHL. How this guy put up 60 points in the NHL is remarkable, a true testament to how good Patrick Kane is.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
As a Canucks fan who's watched a lot of Vegas over the past few playoffs I can't think of a team the struggles more against the trap than them. As long the Habs bigger D boxout and they don't get burned on transition play they'll be fine. I think this probably the best matchup out of the big 3 team remaining.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
Score 1st goal
Win game

I think that's what they have to do. I mean it's a good strategy anyway. Terrible to have to rely on it though. I think another nice thing would be to have a decisive win or two over Fleury. Rattle their goalie, and hope they don't do it to ours.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
As a Canucks fan who's watched a lot of Vegas over the past few playoffs I can't think of a team the struggles more against the trap than them. As long the Habs bigger D boxout and they don't get burned on transition play they'll be fine. I think this probably the best matchup out of the big 3 team remaining.
Gonna be tough without petry unfortunately

Reactions: Born in 1909
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad