GDT: Game 1: CHI @ COL * Home Opener! * 10p ET / 8p MT

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
I personally think that hit is as "bad" as Landy's, except it wasn't up against the boards. It's high. Makar's shoulder rides up and appears to catch DeBrincat's head a little, but whatever... neither deserve a call or a hearing from the league.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

EJ in the background there like:

giphy.gif

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I personally think that hit is as "bad" as Landy's, except it wasn't up against the boards. It's high. Makar's shoulder rides up and appears to catch DeBrincat's head a little, but whatever... neither deserve a call or a hearing from the league.
If Landy does that at center ice there’s no issue. He did it near the boards and got reprimanded for it. Maybe give him
1 game? But I don’t think it’s that horrible overall.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Avs looked great, but I am still concerned about the amount of high-end chances we gave a Hawks team (which we allowed back into the game). Kuemper was bloody fantastic, for those emo posts I made earlier in the week I hope I am wrong because I want him to do good. It was also very refreshing to see a goaler not get beat high-glove on every other shot. I think Avs odd-man rushes against has to deal with the defence and I think Makar didn't have a good game today in terms of picking his spots (his first game though, so not going to be harsh at all). I didn't like Girard today, he looked limited in his game and was absolutely surpassed by Byram in every shape and form.

All the standouts today forward-wise has already been mentioned, I have a lot of good things to say about almost everyone including Helm, Nuke, and O'Connor. As for Compher, every time he kills a scoring chance or takes a ridiculous penalty, always remember we could've had Saad burying those chances or being a better team player by not taking lazy penalties for one million more.

Yeah... Saad and Jost had some decent chemistry too which would have given us an actual 3rd line again.

Landeskog ---- Mackinnon -- Rantanen
Newhook/Ranta - Kadri ----- Burakovsky
Nichuskin --------- Jost ------- Saad
Helm ------------ Maltsev ----- O'Connor

Reactions: S E P H

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Girard was fine. He let a couple pucks get past him that everyone saw on the highlight reels but he still did the 100 good things he always does in a game. Makar was definitely rusty but that’s not unexpected.

I love that after crying about toughness for 6 months that any questionable hit ends with a hearing. Damned if you do.
He was not fine by any stretch of imagination. It's ok to sometime be critical of your favorites.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
If you actually watch the video you can see that the initial point of contact is the shoulder.

Remember when Makar stumbled in the bubble playoffs and took a dangerous hit against AZ? There was no suspension.

It’s unfortunate, but you can still be hit while on one knee.
Initial point of contact is irrelevant. He drove his head into the boards with his arms.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Minus the Landeskog hit boy he had a terrific game. For someone who is considered a passenger on the Mack line (Landy vs Gaudreau's poll) he was the man on that line against the Hawks. He did everything well scored a goal. He is the one that created the Byram goal from a good interception then finding Byram open. Those are the kind of plays that goes under the radar because they focus so much on Mack and Rants.

Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
He was not fine by any stretch of imagination. It's ok to sometime be critical of your favorites.
50% CF, 63% xG, on ice for one GF and one GA, 3 ES shot attempts, 1 hit (thumping of DeBrincat), 5 blocked shots sounds like the definition of fine to me. It’s ok to analyze the whole game and not go by the 3 clips displayed in the highlight package.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
50% CF, 63% xG, on ice for one GF and one GA, 3 ES shot attempts, 1 hit (thumping of DeBrincat), 5 blocked shots sounds like the definition of fine to me. It’s ok to analyze the whole game and not go by the 3 clips displayed in the highlight package.
You know what's also ok? Not being condescending in your posts, one would expect a mod to be above the holier than thou nonsense. I watched the game, when someone makes two egregious errors in the game he most certainly didn't have a good game.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I’m glad that everyone crying for toughness the last 6 months understood what living in the grey area really means.

Honestly... I kind of agree. Any team we've faced in the past that were 'tough' played on the edge. Stars/Sharks/Preds with all the hooks/slashes/late hits. Vegas just being plain dirty.

It's not easy to switch on and off the mentality of being physical. There's a good chance Landy wouldn't have thrown that hit if he was just going through the motions like he does midseason, however, you could see the second he stepped on the ice he had his mindset of being a wrecking ball. There are a few players that are an exception to this rule and know exactly how to play physical and clean, but most players can't (looking at you B. Schenn). Our fanbase needs to accept these type of plays will happen with the increased physicality.

That doesn't make it right and doesn't make the plays any less stupid, just that it comes with the territory.

Reactions: Reparlana

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad