Post-Game Talk: Game 1 - Capitals 7 BRUINS 0 F (MOD -see post # 195)

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Mods, Sorry if this should be in the media thread but here goes:
The clowns on 98.5 fm here in Boston are pushing the same narrative.
They called Marchand everything in the cliche book. They even went so far as making fun of him for the pronunciation of his name. Beyond whatever problems that the Bruins have, media coverage and attitude regarding this team is lousy. For them a diet of 24/7 Patriots talk is not enough. WBZ 98.5 is supposed to be the Bruins "flagship" radio station too but same as NESN they treat the Bruins as the "red headed, black sheep" of Boston sports. For once I wish that Jeremy Jacobs would sit down with media execs from 'BZ and NESN and have a word with them about the lack of B's and NHL discussion and the overall ranking of the Bruins as a second class citizen, ranked only equal to the N.E. Revolution.

The reason the Bruins get such short shrift here in the Boston media is pretty evident.

The Bruins just don’t win enough. Since I started caring about sports at the age of 10 in 1984, the Patriots have won 5 titles; the Celtics have won 3; the Red Sox have won 3; and the Bruins have only won once. The Bruins were also the LAST team in town to join in the 21st century sports renaissance only after all three other teams won at least once (the Red Sox and Patriots won multiple titles before 2011).

Whether we like it or not, hockey is the least popular of the “big four.” If the Bruins won a little more consistently, and Jacobs didn’t excel at alienating paying customers, the Bruins might get more respect in Boston.

I’ve been a Bruins fan for a long time, and that’s how I see it, at least.

Reactions: shoulders7

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Craig Button is hot garbage, don't know why TSN keeps this idiot on the pay roll, he knows nothing about the game hence why no one wanted him as GM after his first stint. He only loves the sound of his annoying nasly voice.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Why is there even discussion about a Marchand suspension? It makes ZERO sense. No rationale. None.
Because it's Marchand, no other reason.

The amount of garbage I read last night calling for the NHL DOPS to suspend Marchand because of what they did to Wilson was appaling. The fact that people were even comparing the two is ridiculous.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

I posted this...well because I like seeing a former Hab get the snot kicked out of him :laugh:

Seriously, this is one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't deals for Marchand. I like that he showed a little leadership ability and asked Eller to go straight up rather than cup-checking or slew-footing him. Of course, when Eller tries to back down at first, it makes Marchand look like the bad guy.

I have never been much of an "individual celebration" fan, so in my mind, when Eller went by the B's bench and did those hand gestures, it was pretty dumb on his part not to expect some sort of retaliation.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I am happy it was an away game. I would NOT want to have sat through that game. The ride home would have sucked as bad as the game.
Yep, not quite the drubbing the B`s took but have to think Sharks fans were not overly pumped about their game on home ice last night after their big acquisition

Horrible effort from all involved yesterday, time to move on. Would the B`s be the first team to win the Cup after being shutout 7-0 in their season opener???:popcorn:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Because it's Marchand, no other reason.

The amount of garbage I read last night calling for the NHL DOPS to suspend Marchand because of what they did to Wilson was appaling. The fact that people were even comparing the two is ridiculous.

When did hockey fans become such complete p***yes? Calling for a guy to get suspended because he beat up your player? I can't even relate to that nonsense.

Eller acted like a loser by celebrating a meaningless goal and had to face the consequences for his actions. Back in the 70s, it was a regular event and the games had far less bullshit because of it. There was never a question of not answering the bell then too because you were going to get beaten either way.

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
Domi sucker-punched an unsuspecting player. Marchand and Eller were engaged. I believe this incident is very similar to the Iginla/Emelin incident that happened two years ago, and I don't think Iginla got suspended by throwing fists at a player that didn't want to fight:

This was good to watch. I miss Iggy. It is nice to see anyone go after that piece of shit Emelin.

Reactions: Absurdity

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
When did hockey fans become such complete *****es? Calling for a guy to get suspended because he beat up your player? I can't even relate to that nonsense.

Eller acted like a loser by celebrating a meaningless goal and had to face the consequences for his actions. Back in the 70s, it was a regular event and the games had far less bull**** because of it. There was never a question of not answering the bell then too because you were going to get beaten either way.

In the 70's, someone would have come off the B's bench and beat his ass right there on the spot.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
When did hockey fans become such complete *****es? Calling for a guy to get suspended because he beat up your player? I can't even relate to that nonsense.

Eller acted like a loser by celebrating a meaningless goal and had to face the consequences for his actions. Back in the 70s, it was a regular event and the games had far less bull**** because of it. There was never a question of not answering the bell then too because you were going to get beaten either way.

millennial generation

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

I posted this...well because I like seeing a former Hab get the snot kicked out of him :laugh:

Seriously, this is one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't deals for Marchand. I like that he showed a little leadership ability and asked Eller to go straight up rather than cup-checking or slew-footing him. Of course, when Eller tries to back down at first, it makes Marchand look like the bad guy.

I have never been much of an "individual celebration" fan, so in my mind, when Eller went by the B's bench and did those hand gestures, it was pretty dumb on his part not to expect some sort of retaliation.

This is exactly right. Eller can't be shocked there was a response to him being a shithead. He earned his beating.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic

You steal a base when you're up 10-0, you get plunked.
You bat flip a home run when you're up 10-0, you get plunked.
You bunt for a hit when you're up 10-0, you get plunked.

I see no real difference here. Eller did a drive by on the Bruins bench, then had words with them and he got a beating.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

It`s not just the fans friend, media too, softer than butter. I`m one who cringes and calls out the BS stuff that Marchand gets himself into at times but I have no issues with what he did yesterday.

Unfortunately I had long turned off the game and didn`t see the celebration but I like what Marchand did. I jumped online this morning, TSN, story about Marchand "jumping" Eller, Sportsnet the same BS

I "think" you are of an age when you can recall a league where perhaps there were too many goons but at least it was one where, for the most part, guys looked after themselves and fought their own battles and there was nothing in the NEWSPAPER the next day about guys jumping guys.

I recall reading an article after a Habs/Nordiques game and if not mistaken, prior to the game going on the air teams got into it in the pre-game warmup and the paper stated little more than "things got heated" prior to opening puck drop. Not now

Reactions: LSCII

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
It`s not just the fans friend, media too, softer than butter. I`m one who cringes and calls out the BS stuff that Marchand gets himself into at times but I have no issues with what he did yesterday.

Unfortunately I had long turned off the game and didn`t see the celebration but I like what Marchand did. I jumped online this morning, TSN, story about Marchand "jumping" Eller, Sportsnet the same BS

I "think" you are of an age when you can recall a league where perhaps there were too many goons but at least it was one where, for the most part, guys looked after themselves and fought their own battles and there was nothing in the NEWSPAPER the next day about guys jumping guys.

I recall reading an article after a Habs/Nordiques game and if not mistaken, prior to the game going on the air teams got into it in the pre-game warmup and the paper stated little more than "things got heated" prior to opening puck drop. Not now

Fake News

Reactions: Ladyfan

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
Holtby had the easiest game I’ve seen for a goalie in awhile..

What? saved Bergy with only the 5 hole being the possibility..

Probably Marchy the best chance setup by Pasta I believe yet Holtby just needed to be in the center of the net.

Blown coverage all over the place, giving up onetimers too see how hard to they could rip one at our goalies so that was special of them.

Hopefully completely different team tonight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad