Game 1 - Canada (QMJHL all stars) vs. Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
sharkyz15 said:
I am so happy to see Bernier did well tonight.

Usually he seems to be more of a pure gamer (regular seasone) and really doesnt stand out all to much in exibitions.

I hope he can ride this momentum to Team Canada camp

just wondering were you guys would rank the top 5 players in the Q (forwards) after crosby)

Bernier
Bourette
Hennessy
Picard
Dixon
Pouliet
Zagrapan
???

Personally...

1)Bernier
2)Picard
3)Bourret
4)Hennessy
5)Pouliet
6)Dixon
7)Zapragan

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Mr Bugg said:
Steve Bernier: A+

A force every shift. Thundered bodies, drove to the net and really created space for everyone. His skill set didn't go unnoticed either- great shooter. Can't wait to see him make it in the pros, which could be sooner rather than later- the Q can't contain his physical game.

Danny Roussin: B

Showed he knows how to play without Crosby by his side. Almost as good as Pouliot in finding holes in defensive coverage, and displayed a willingness to shoot. Excellent vision. Snakebitten, but a solid effort all around. From his performance this game, a second-line spot in the NHL wouldn't be out of reach for him.

Great to hear that about Steve and Dany.

Last edited:

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
A few impressions on the Russian prospects from Game 1
(The usual warnings apply... it's impossible to really "scout" on TV, and I wasn't focusing on the Russians as much as the Quebec team)

Mikhail Yunkov (Was 2nd '04)
I think he impressed me the most of the Russians in Game 1. Despite knowing that he was bound to be the #1 center for the team, I had the mindset that he might be the benefactor of his sniping wingers, but now I'm wondering if it isn't the opposite. He made me think a bit of Larionov at times. He really used his linemates well, had great vision, good puckhandling, and an all-round sense of what was happening on the ice. He seemed to be aware at both ends. I would start to get excited about the possibility of this guy evolving into a smart 2nd line centre for my team if I was a Caps fan.

Alexandre Radulov (Nas 1st '04)
We all know him pretty well by now. He didn't do much out of his ordinary in Game 1. But his "ordinary" is excellent by the standards of most players. The good thing for Nashville fans is that I think whatever "wild card" tag he had going into the draft has been adequately dispelled by now. He's a great scorer who isn't afraid to get his nose a bit dirty, he's dangerous every time he's on the ice, and the Preds are probably thrilled that he is turning out to be everything they hoped he would be, and everything they need desperately, at the same time.

Roman Voloshenko (Min 2nd '04)
Voloshenko carried his own "wild card" tag into the draft too, and I think I would still leave it attached to him for now. He showed good positioning, good instincts, and a wicked release in Game 1. I thought his skating looked better than perhaps some of the pre-draft hype had led me to believe. My only complaint is that he could maybe stand to bear down a little bit more, but it's hard to tell. A worthy 2nd rounder.

Alexander Naurov (Dal 4th '03)
As a keeper-league draftee of yours truly, I was hoping that Naurov could show me some signs of being a 2nd-tier offensive generator for the Russian side. Alas for that. He faded into the woodwork and was outplayed by many of his undrafted teammates. Not a good sign for a guy who is supposed to be a dynamic generator and at 19 was a "veteran" in this game. Doh.

Andrei Plehanov (Clb 3rd '04)
He seemed to be kind of the Chelios of his side... not big compared to the other monsters on that blueline (though not small either), but generally always involved in the action, a bit feisty, willing to play the game at both ends of the ice. If judging forwards is tough on TV, it's practically impossible for defenseman, so I won't try to overreach myself more than that.

Kirill Lyamin (Ott 2nd '04)
I wanted to notice him more than I did... he always seemed to just miss, either on his hits or his passes, just a tad out of synch, but still showing that he knew exactly what he should be doing. Has good size (although again, not the biggest on this monster defense by any stretch), and certainly wants to use his size all the time. I still think he has some untapped creativity too, but for now he needs to just take his time and let the whole package come together.

Alexander Mikhailishin (NJ 5th '04)
Huge D. He seemed to be in the thick of the action in his end a lot. He seemed like he wanted to play mean, but like the rest of his big defense wasn't exactly sure how to do it to best advantage. A bit gangly and awkward at times, IMHO, and I want to watch him more closely in Game 2 to see how he turns and adapts to guys trying to beat him wide.

Anton Khudobin (Min 7th '04)
Defintely a good find with a 206th pick, anyway. Nobody can deny he held his team in this game and was ultimately the difference. I'm not sold on him as a real prospect on the basis of this game, however... he seemed to be down a lot, and got a lot of shots fired at him that could have been directed better by the Q shooters. I'm not sure of his quickness either. But the great thing about goalies is that you can have all kinds of question marks in your game, but if you still stop the puck that's all that matters. Khudobin certainly earned his stripes in that respect in Game 1. It'll be interesting to see if he builds on that in the remaining games.

As for others... I still can't figure out why nobody took a flyer on Megalinsky. If you were going to draft Mikhailishin, might as well put a 9th rounder on Megalinsky. Shirokov made a few cute moves that basically put him where I had hoped Naurov would be. Since most of the Russians were guys passed over in the '03 and '04 drafts, it would have been worthwhile to watch them more closely than I did, because I think there was a lot to see there for later round flyers. But seeing the game just on TV and with so many others to watch too, I don't feel confident in making comments on those guys yet. Maybe as the tournament goes on.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
And some even more brief comments on the Q players (since hordes of people have already made comments)...

Steve Bernier - What everybody else said... monster game, best player, he earned his invite to the WJC camp, at least.

M.A. Pouliot - I would be more charitable to his Game 1 than other posters have been... he did make some nice passes, he did have his line buzzing the net all nite long. He couldn't finish to save his life, and he seemed a bit scrambly at times, but still one of the top players in the game, IMO.

Dany Roussin - Became noticeable on his line in the second half of the game especially, but like Pouliot was totally unable to capitalise on his many chances. A game like this makes all Sidney Crosby's assist totals look even more impressive! :) But seriously, Roussin finds his openings nicely, yet I still can't help but think "Mathieu Benoit" everytime I see him play.

M.A. Bernier - Worked hard and created room out there. That's what he does. Good grinder, and the Q's needed that against those monster Russian D's. If they put in a typical Q All-Star team of little guys, they were going to get pulverised.

Alex Bourret - Somehow, he still looks small to me, but he was hitting heavy and scoring, doing it all. Great show for a draft-eligible player.

J.F. Jacques - Another huge grinding presence who was very welcome against that Russian D. Created room, wreaked havoc as did Bernier, Bourret (and Bernier, S too). I like his chances on an NHL grind line.

Olivier Latendresse - Somebody forgot to set his alarm for the game. Granted, he is going up against older players. But... this was a lacklustre performance to say the least. He looked lost and uninvolved.

Stephen Dixon - He knows his forte in the international arena is to play a responsible two way game. Tried to show some of his niftier moves once or twice, but he is smart enough to know that he's being pegged as a future shut-down guy, and I expect he'll continue to grow into that role as he develops.

Fred Cabana - A pleasant surprise in that he has been off to such a slow start in the Q, but made some good plays in this game. Has no real clue in the offensive zone, but is a charlie-hustle kind of player who seems to have made a lasting impression with Hockey Canada that might get him into some of those Colliton/Dixon kinds of roles next year on Team Canada. Still needs to improve his consistency.

David Laliberte - Seemed to be a bit on the fringes of the game to me. Probably some hopes for a Dixon-like checker here, but I didn't really notice him much.

Maxime Boisclair - Scored the game's first goal, and generally did a decent job driving to the net and trying to apply some offensive pressure. Solid effort.

David Desharnais - Good chemistry with Boisclair, but of course the thing that stands out about Desharnais is his tiny stature. He is a much more prototypical Q All-Star than some of those Hockey Canada grinders that dot the lineup. Not a bad showing. One assumes he'll continue to rack up points in his burgeoning junior career and then pray that some team overlooks his size to offer him a tryout one day.

Alexandre Picard - Several times I found myself appreciating his stand-up play and he certainly looked good on the point on the PP. A few minor gaffes, but he has always struck me as a solid all-around guy in the Desjardins mould. If it wasn't for all those Western League brutes hogging the spots, he'd be my pick as the Q guy on Team Canada.

J.M.Bolduc - I feel like I have to be apologetic about it for some reason, but Bolduc never quite does anything for me. He has good size, puts up good numbers, and seems to be pretty tough. He didn't catch my eye this game, however, as usual.

Patrick Coulombe - Another more-typical Q-league All-Star on defense, you want to pigeon-hole him as a tiny offensive defenseman, but he does try hard on D and makes a good showing overall. Like a Derrick Walser or others have in the Q. He looked good in that typical smaller junior defenseman way again tonight. Right now, if Team Canada goes that way, Syvret has to have the edge on him in all areas, I guess.
Jonathan Paiement - I thought he looked a bit ponderous and rough around the edges in Game 1. He knows what to do with the puck, and it seems to work really well for him at the major junior level. He seems to have decent size and a bit of chippiness, but overall I'm not sure that his skating was up to this kind of test.

Nathan Saunders - Wow, even in the pre-game introductions he looked like a hulk ready to split his jersey. He looks scary-strong. He got a bit involved in the offense in the 3rd period, but once he goes pro that probably will go by the wayside. If he keeps it simple and gets his footwork polished up, he should be a good stay-at-home brute with toughness.

Luc Bourdon - First time I saw him play, but I'm a convert. He looks poised and controlled in all areas of his game. Like Picard, he can play it both ways, knows what to do in his end, and makes a good outlet pass to the right spot. I imagine this is a good way of keeping him involved, since he should be on next year's WJC team.

J.P. Paquette - I didn't get a good enough read on him this game. He didn't seem as poised or smooth as Bourdon, but maybe was a bit bigger. He moved the puck out nicely a couple of times. But he seemed to get decent icetime. Marc-Edouard Vlasic was barely out there at all, as far as I could tell.

David Tremblay - Well, all through the Mem Cup last year, I never really felt like Tremblay was a very legit big-name stopper. I still don't. Like somebody else said, his 5-hole was a 10-hole tonight... you could see the Russian staff before the shootouts telling all their players just what to do, and they did it. It was shooting fish in a barrel. Tremblay has a good frame and a good general technique, but I have yet to be convinced that he can be expected to stop pucks at the NHL level one day. Khudobin doesn't have the technique, but he bested Tremblay hands down on this night.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Bileur said:
I love how the Sportsnet announcers pronounced Bourret almost like Bure

And yet Pouliot which should sound more like (Pooh-yoh) was pronounced as (Pooh-lee-ott) ... very annoying.

QcS

Sep 13, 2003
au Québec!
Visit site

Was Tremblay really the best they could find in the Q?

umm.. no. I dunno why he's there. Maybe it's because Gatineau didn't have any other players worth being there and the league wanted them to have one. :)

Julien Ellis, Corey Crawford and Jonathan Boutin are all better goalies IMO, and some would debate about Martin Houle also.

I've seen Tremblay play for the last 2+ years, and even though some nights he can be awesome, he has too many bad nights and is WAY too inconsistent. I would never want to see him play in a single game elimination tournament for my team (just like it hurt us last memorial cup).

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
From Quebec last night

here my taught on some Q player.

M-A Pouliot: The most skilled player, just with is third periods he deserve the Q player of the game. Awsome vision in the offensive end, show great creativity.
Couldn't finish is chances tought ...

Steve Bernier: Monster, throw good body chek and play with intensity all night long, hasn't Pouliots vision but make great pass. The chemestry between him and Pouliot is scarying.

Dany Roussin: The third "musketeer" is generaly less involved in the start of the play, he's at is best to found open space in scoring position, didn't carry the puck like is two linemate, but seems to always be in good position to finish the play they start. Khudobin steals him a few time.

Alex Bourret: Play all is shift with intensity and speed. Get the hit of the night and against the biggest russian (Mikhailishin). Definitly the best player after the first line.

Guillaume Latendresse: Seems to be on an other planet... never saw him in fifth gear, totally uninvolved, surely wasn't on is game but...

Maxim Boisclair: Loved the way he drived the net, seems to be a real team player, give everything he have everyshift. hasn't elite skill thought, but is a kind of Dale Hunter, a guy you want in your team.

Alexandre Picard: Was the most physical Dmen of the game, snap many russian to the board, a pinch for a big hit at the russian blue line cause a goal on a two on one. made good first pass, go for the end to end pass a couple of time with success. Most impressive Dmen for quebec.

just a note: what a game Radulov played for a guy who's in is 4th game in a 4 day trip (Rimouski, Bathurst, Halifax, Quebec).

My opinion aren't better than anyone but if you want more info on these or others players, just PM me.

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
I cant decide what I think of Pouliot!!! Everyone here is saying different things lol, wish I woulda watched the 3rd period cause I have him in a keeper league, took him 22nd last year in the draft and have only seen him play twice now and both times I havent seen much at all. Ive heard people say he was the best player last night and others say that he stunk and shouldnt have gone in the 1st rounder at all. lol, maybe tonight will tell the story, you can count on me watching.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Stephen Dixon had a pretty good game, he seemed to be all over the ice and was hitting everything that moved. He had a few good shots on net and played a good two way game.

Last edited by a moderator:

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
Yes, I completely forgot to add in Dixon and Cabana. Both had good showings, Dixon having the better one.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Leph28 said:
Was Tremblay really the best they could find in the Q?

umm.. no. I dunno why he's there. Maybe it's because Gatineau didn't have any other players worth being there and the league wanted them to have one. :)

Julien Ellis, Corey Crawford and Jonathan Boutin are all better goalies IMO, and some would debate about Martin Houle also.

I've seen Tremblay play for the last 2+ years, and even though some nights he can be awesome, he has too many bad nights and is WAY too inconsistent. I would never want to see him play in a single game elimination tournament for my team (just like it hurt us last memorial cup).

Agree Leph.

Crawford wasnt eligible to play. Personally i would have picked Ellis and Houle. It would have been nice to see how Houle would have done. He doesnt get much respect.

EddyK

Oct 5, 2004
Edmonton
need help

Hey can some on tell me who is number 23 on the Russian team, I like him alot
He sure silenced all of us at the game, How embarrassing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad