Game 1 - Canada (QMJHL all stars) vs. Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

acadienboy

Oct 31, 2004
paxtang said:
How did Picard and Laliberte play?

They both had a good game.They are fast but i think they're looking to much for the perfect play.thay should shoot a little more

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Any thoughts on Jacques or Pouliot? I see that Jacques got an assist. Did these guys play well? I am sure all Oiler fans are interested

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
thorspartak said:
Q's worth mentioning are Bernier, Cabana, Jacques and Poiloit

so great to see a very competitive hockey game during lock-out, this series will prove to be quite something.
Im a big fan of Pouliots and in the 2 games Ive ever seen him play he hasnt done a thing for me. I dont know why but I like the kid, yet he hasnt had any unique moves that Ive seen. I have only seen this game and the Rimouski game against Gatineau but he hasnt done a thing yet IMO in those two games. What made you think he was worth mentioning here? He didnt do much at all. I didnt watch the 3rd though, couldnt... so maybe whatever he did he did there.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
s7ark said:
Any thoughts on Jacques or Pouliot? I see that Jacques got an assist. Did these guys play well? I am sure all Oiler fans are interested

Both looked decent - about what I expected. Pouliot had a number of chances, hit the post twice, and made a couple of very nice passes. He seemed to have a lot of on ice viosion, and smarts. Jacques was a force out there, and he hit things hard. Both were involved in the play a lot.

Having said that, but looked... well slow. At one point Pouliot had what could have been a breakaway, but the dman caught up to him, and forced him to pass (it was a nice pass, but still). Same with Jacques. It was a bit worrying for Juniors, but I guess the speed on the ice here is a cut above a normal CHL game, but still it could be a seriouse problem in the NHL.

The True Blue Crew

Jun 11, 2004
steps to the ACC
bernier worked the hardest, safe to say(?), on the Q's side
lyamin is physical.

X-SHARKIE said:
Hey Everyone,

How did Steve Bernier play? I see some nice coments from you guys here and there, and he was the games 2nd star... HOw did he look?

How did Kirill Lyamin look?

Thanks in advance :bow:

paxtang

May 1, 2003
Harrisburg
sevenSteen said:
Picard had a nice game. He scored on a bulletshot shot and was effective at moving the puck.

I saw he had 3 hits. The knock on Picard has been that he's soft, did it seem to anyone that he played a soft game today, or was he involved physically.

FacelessButcher

Sep 20, 2003
Edmonton
s7ark said:
Pouliot didn't move his feet for the first 30-35mins of the game and didn't create much at all, it seemed like every time his line got something going the play would end on his stick. Pouliot really started looking good in the later half of the game setting up a bunch of plays (made one really nifty behind the back pass to setup Roussin for a shot on net) he got 2 or 3 really good scoring opportunities that he couldn't quite bury. I agree with Oilslick that his skating was pretty awful and will need to work on it, his playmaking and vision did shine through and seemed to be well above his peers in this regard although he only tried for half the game.

This was my first time seeing Jacques play, he had a simple but good game just seemed to hit everyone and everything through out the game, really likes to use & abuse his size out-muscling players on one-on-one battles and makes a lot of room for his linemates. Noticed him on the pk which I guess speaks well for his defensive game, didn't make any glaring errors far as I could tell. His offensive opportunities were pretty few and far between and I kind of thought his hands would be better than what they appeared to be, I'm guessing he gets most of his goals in the Q by crashing and banging the net or deflecting pucks in front.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
I can't say I was surprised to see the Q Stars almost blanked in the shootout... Khudobin was absolutely brilliant.

Here are how I'd grade a few of the players (keep in mind I only saw from the 2nd on):

Steve Bernier: A+

A force every shift. Thundered bodies, drove to the net and really created space for everyone. His skill set didn't go unnoticed either- great shooter. Can't wait to see him make it in the pros, which could be sooner rather than later- the Q can't contain his physical game.

Alex Bourret: A+

Fastest skater out there. Looked almost as dominating physically as Bernier. Showed off his hands a few times, and his ability to fight through checks was incredible. Clicked very, very well with linemates Bernier and Jacques. No doubt he'll be a solid power forward in the NHL.

JF Jacques: A

Just a touch less as good as Bourret and Bernier, but great showing any way you slice it. Really set the tempo early in the 2nd with a big hit, and demonstrated fine passing and vision. Couldn't help but notice, however, that he probably wouldn't have had as much success as he did without the room Bernier created. If he can find a power forward linemate to click with in the AHL and NHL and step it up just a bit with the physical play, he'll be a borderline top-six talent.

Danny Roussin: B

Showed he knows how to play without Crosby by his side. Almost as good as Pouliot in finding holes in defensive coverage, and displayed a willingness to shoot. Excellent vision. Snakebitten, but a solid effort all around. From his performance this game, a second-line spot in the NHL wouldn't be out of reach for him.

Patrick Coulombe: B

Created a lot of chances from the point. Pulled off several steals to keep the puck in possession along the Russian blueline. One of the few Q Stars who didn't turn the puck over. His offensive-defenseman game seems well-suited to the Q, but he takes a lot of risks that would get him in trouble in the NHL. However, he was good defensively when he had to be.

MA Pouliot: B-

While he turned it on in the last half of the second and for all of the third, he looked shakey, slow and out of position before that. His ability to spot where the puck was going to be and to get open was just great, but luck wasn't on his side and he couldn't finish worth a darn. Showed off tons of creativity, though, especially with a through-the-legs drop pass after drawing a Russian defender to him. Solid, solid pick by the Oilers and I have no doubt he'll rebound next game.

David Tremblay: C+

Was Tremblay really the best they could find in the Q? Had some solid streaks, but was overall shakey and unprepared for a lot of shots. Absolutely brutal in the shootout, as all 3 Russian shooters beats him five-hole.

CH Wizard

Radulov and Voloshenko are amazing !!!!! I love watching them play.Poor tremblay all three goals between the legs.I am sure He'll make a lot of nightmares tonight.My father was working He didn't have time to buy some tickets ! :mad: I wanted to watch the game at the bell center.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
Hey Everyone,

How did Steve Bernier play? I see some nice coments from you guys here and there, and he was the games 2nd star... HOw did he look?

How did Kirill Lyamin look?

Thanks in advance :bow:

I took some notes during the game, here is what I have on Bernier.

Steve Bernier #96

A very agile powerforward, knows how to beat a defenseman with his puck control OR with his strenght. Very smart player, make some great tape-to-tape passes, knows where is teammates are (he played with Roussin and Pouliot today, they played on the same line in Midget AAA). Good vision, doesn't shy away from the rough stuff. As Stephane Leroux said (prospects expert on RDS), he's got all the tools to become a powerforward in the NHL.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Very exciting to hear Radulov is playing well. This coupled with an email I got from someone that saw him a couple of weeks ago and said, quote:

"Nashville has a future superstar on their hands. This kid has talent plus heart, and he's going to take it a long way"

has me pumped to get to see him play in person, when i trek up to Maine to see the Remparts play the Maineiacs, in the near future.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
I must add, I think Bernier was the best player on the ice today for the 2 teams. I'm totally sold on him.

And Latendresse played like crap. I can't understand the hype about this kid. I have better puck control than him.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Well as a talentless hack, my opinion is relatively unimportant, but that said, I do have some thoughts...

1. M-A Pouliot. No matter how you slice it, every time I see this guy, I come away thinking...first rounder? Give me Robbie Schremp 7 times and twice on Sunday.

He fights the pucks, can't seem to stickhandle worth a lick, and there was a loose puck and he had a step on the Russian and lost the race.(Although he showed some creativity trying to make a back pass to save the play.) Around a half a dozen viewings, four live, and every single time, I think the Oilers could have done much more with this draft pick. People like this guy, and I still haven't figured out why.

2. Alexandre Picard. This guy was OK, but his one bonehead pinch caused a Russian goal, the Yunkov to Voloshenko 2 on 1. So skills, but brain farts.

3. Marc Andre Bernier. Liked him, good skater, good hands, nice play on the Bourret goal(and of course, nice hands by Bourret.)

4. Alexander Radulov-Roman Voloshenko-Mikail Yunkov. In my opinion these guys were 1-2-3 stars. They can skate, they can puckhandle and they can finish. I would take any of the three over anyone on the Q side in this game.

The Russian D was very average, Lyamin was the best of the bunch but he still has a way to go, positionally, physically. He is a decent skater and a decent passer. And if someone gets excited about Alexander Mikhalishin and his 6'4 209 frame, don't. His skating stride will never be as good as Wade Belak's.

Neither goaltender impressed me that much. Khubodin made a few nice saves in the first two periods. Tremblay? Well, as far as the Flyers go, at least they have Niitymaki and Beauchemin.

Blackshad

Oct 12, 2002
Pouliot had a bad night, i saw him a couple time and he played alot better than tonight.
As for Radulov i tought he played damn good and he will be in the NHL thats for sure.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Holy Crap!

Anton Khudobin played? I wondered if he was any good, can anyone give me a report on this kid because I'm interested in our goaltenders, since we lack a backup for Harding.

And yay! Go Volo! Great pick for the Wild there!

Twist and Shout

Dec 30, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
DoobieDoobieDo said:
Holy Crap!

Anton Khudobin played? I wondered if he was any good, can anyone give me a report on this kid because I'm interested in our goaltenders, since we lack a backup for Harding.

Anton needs to learn how to control his rebounds. It seemed that everything that hit him bounced to the Q players. He also needs to learn how to control the puck so that he can cover it instead of having players score on him because of misplayed saves. Besides that, he made some nice acrobatic saves and he seems to enjoy flopping around back there.

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
I am so happy to see Bernier did well tonight.

Usually he seems to be more of a pure gamer (regular seasone) and really doesnt stand out all to much in exibitions.

I hope he can ride this momentum to Team Canada camp

just wondering were you guys would rank the top 5 players in the Q (forwards) after crosby)

Bernier
Bourette
Hennessy
Picard
Dixon
Pouliet
Zagrapan
???

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
Khudobin was great tonite. He has some problems controlling the rebounds however. But he's a decent goalie I guess, because tonite he really stole a few goals. But it's only one game, let's not try to over-scout him...

About Steve Bernier, honestly I was impressed. He's strong, agile, nice hands good vision, etc. There's so many things to like about him. He's not the best player out there, but I'm pretty convinced I'll turn into an offensive player in the NHL. He's got some good raw strenght for a 19yo and he's got some creativity, a nice wrist shot, decent skating, etc. He can throw his body a little bit in the corners and stay in front of the net without getting tossed arround...

There's a player that brings a lot on the table, and it's Alex Bourret. Where to start? He's fast, he's huge, he's intense, he's skilled and he's got a nice attitude. Don't be fooled by the fact he's only 5 foot 10. The guy is really solid, he's got strong legs and a very strong upper body. IMO, of all the guy on the ice today, he's the one with the most potential. He didn't played a lot tonite, as the coach tried to put the Roussin/Bernier/Pouliot line every other shifts. Bourret did also very well on the PK. I really hope that the guy ends up with the habs. I'd be so pissed off if they don't get him! IMO the guy is a future superstar. Oops, I forgot to mention he's a tremendous playmaker with a laser of a shot...

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
How would those who watched the game rate the play of Mikhail Yunkov? Is he purely a product of his talented linemates, or does he appear to contribute measurably on the offensive side of the ledger? Does he create his share of chances through his own efforts, or do his linemates do most of the work? What is his designated role on the line? It's fair to say that other picks have rendered Yunkov a somewhat forgotten pick for the Capitals in the 2004 draft, and this was his first game in North America, I think, certainly since the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->