GDT: Game #1: Calgary at Columbus 10/4 7:00PM "Opening Night"

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
There was a steady stream of water pouring down on some kid in Row G of section 103 for the last three minutes of the game. Someone near me said (with the evening's performance) "the arena is crying."

neek21

Sep 8, 2012
Agreed! The new seats suck. My wife complained the entire time that the cup holder dug into her knee. She's right, it was like going from business class to coach in section 108. It also rained hard in the 5th row of 108 most of the game. I've never seen it rain indoors at the arena before.

what is up with only one "Ohio Beer" area in the entire arena? It took 25 minutes to navigate the ridiculous mess of concession lines to get there, wait on this one dude to serve beers and get back to my seat. I'd say the "best fan experience" crap is dead and gone. I was pissed each time I had to hike through that crowd and back for a beer with actual hops you can taste.

I still say this is the best assembled team we have ever had on the ice. I am pumped for solid improvement each game. Still can't believe that was the same Savard from last year.

I agree on the beer situation being 'sub-par'...there is a craft beer stand behind sections 117/118, but the prices are incredibly high!! [$8.25 of for a 14 oz cup of draft beer] and I also saw some Founders Centennial IPA for $9 a friggin bottle in the 'convenience store' just inside the front door....hell, I can get a SIX PACK of Centennial for $10.99 at my local craft store...the price gouging at sports venues is very very sad in my opinion....

Arch City Zach

Jun 10, 2011
Columbus, OH
archcityarmy.com
I agree on the beer situation being 'sub-par'...there is a craft beer stand behind sections 117/118, but the prices are incredibly high!! [$8.25 of for a 14 oz cup of draft beer] and I also saw some Founders Centennial IPA for $9 a friggin bottle in the 'convenience store' just inside the front door....hell, I can get a SIX PACK of Centennial for $10.99 at my local craft store...the price gouging at sports venues is very very sad in my opinion....

Reason #Eleventybillion I have never bought a beer in NWA.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
On a seating side note, the 'new and improved' seating was very tight!! I'm 6' and my knees were up against the seat in front of me most of the night (at least the cup holders are removeable, that helped immensely!!)...

I noticed that during preseason. I'm 6'5" and fortunately had empty seats next to me to spread out due to lack of attendance. Otherwise, if I'm in lower bowl, may have to be removing cupholders too. Also, fortunate that my regular season seats are in front row of upper bowl, so the cup holders are on the armrests, not at knees.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Haven't had a chance to comment on Friday yet. Was there in my half season tickets in 211. My biggest impression was James Wisniewski was just dreadful (Saturday too). I really think the defense missed Tyutin. It threw off the pairs, because Murray and Wisniewski don't make the best d-pair. Gaborik is fun to watch, he is a threat to score every time he has the puck in the offensive zone.

Can we make Dubinsky captain now? I was on the Jack Johnson train for a while, but after watching Dubie, it is very apparent that he is the emotional leader of this team. Put the C on his jersey to make it official. He doesn't make excuses, he's blunt, he works his butt off every shift and he's not afraid to mix it up to change momentum. He did that Saturday getting some scrums going on.

Overall, I thought that Friday was a poor effort and left me feeling underwhelmed and concerned. I thought nothing will bring a packed house back to the arena more than a lackluster, sloppy 4-3 loss to arguably one of the worst teams in the league. The good thing is they followed that up with a win and much better effort where they carried the play for long stretches.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Wasn't a good night, overall, for most of the team. At least we recovered in NY in time to pull out the two points.

Calgary doesn't seem to know they are supposed to be one of the worst teams in the league.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Being 6'2'' 280, the small seats aren't too great for me, but I would rather have the smaller seats than that godawful music they played opening night. Club music doesn't fit with hockey, sorry game ops.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Didn't these morons "test sit" the seats? Oh yeah they did. "hey Cam can you come here a sec?" :laugh:

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
I have not set in the new seats yet so what is smaller about them? The seat frames themselves are still the old ones so the side to side width should not have changed. Is it just the leg space that seem less? Is the space the same just with cup holders now in the way?

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
I have not set in the new seats yet so what is smaller about them? The seat frames themselves are still the old ones so the side to side width should not have changed. Is it just the leg space that seem less? Is the space the same just with cup holders now in the way?

That's what my impression of them was. Cup holders just really cut down on leg room, but I was unaware at the time they are removable.

chaking

Oct 10, 2007
Seattle
wondering how many people like the song they play after every goal?

I think playing any song after every goal will quickly make that song awful... i wish we just stuck to the horn.

FANonymous

Nov 7, 2010
wondering how many people like the song they play after every goal?

I think playing any song after every goal will quickly make that song awful... i wish we just stuck to the horn.

Perhaps, but some songs start out awful. Looking at you "The Whip."

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
The whip has run its course for me...before Nick left as DJ he and I discussed it and the players apparently like it...I just hate that its not original as like 4 or 5 teams use it...oh well...not that important in grand scheme i guess

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
With the amount of goals we (don't) score doesn't seem like the song would get old that quickly. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad