GDT: Game #1: Calgary at Columbus 10/4 7:00PM "Opening Night"

mt-svk

CBJ/OTT fan
Jun 6, 2007
My sense... our defense is too slow. Plus we dont have too much creative players, our style is shoot and run. But I like our fight for puck, next to the boards but... our defensmen dont do in the front of the net.

I like Boone Jenner. He isnt creative, it is type of a checker but it is the boy who will be firght for a guy next him. Dubinsky and Foligno are the similar types.

I wont say about mistakes because it is only the first game so i will wait some games. But I think i will love this team even if they would be in the end of the stats becaust players play hard and I love it. :yo:

Btw, I follow KHL and must say, I understood the problem of European players and KHL. They arent worse than NHL players the most of them would be better but they are lazy to play hard!!! it is the difference between KHL and NHL.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
...it is expected there would probably be a lot of rust considering all of the forwards were just kind of thrown out there with no chemistry and asked to perform.

The downside to the staff's belief in the roster's versatility might be the perception the anyone can play anywhere, in any combination.

Btw, I follow KHL and must say, I understood the problem of European players and KHL. They arent worse than NHL players the most of them would be better but they are lazy to play hard!!! it is the difference between KHL and NHL.

Very interesting observation, mt-svk.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
The downside to the staff's belief in the roster's versatility might be the perception the anyone can play anywhere, in any combination.

and the fans similar belief. I for one would like to see two top lines, a checking line and an energy line.

Letestu-Dubinsky-Gaborik

Calvert/Jenner- Anisimov- Atkinson

Foligno-Joey-Umbie

Calvert/jenner-Mackenzie-Boll/Comeau

But for God's sake keep the lines intact for at least a period before you go to the random line generator.

stoneinen12

Feb 19, 2008
My biggest take away from the game was our defensive positioning was pretty bad at times (bad rotation, and over pursuing primarily). That shouldn't be to hard to address since our core roster is pretty much the same as last season. I'd expect that to be addressed and fixed before tonights game.

Aspie with attitude

May 9, 2013
All of the above (except the fire everyone crap).

Three goals a night will win a lot of games. Four against won't. I thought Bob was just OK, he didn't get much help from his defensemen. The power play actually looked competent and the Gaborik/Johnson goal was a thing of beauty! I'll have to write this one off as just a weak opener, with the hope that tonight shows us more of what we hope to see throughout the season.

Oh, and last night reminded me of old Cleveland Stadium - really rocking when full, but much more comfortable when not so full. Twenty minutes for a corndog? Well, I could have been cranky because I had to return home to get my forgotten parking pass, then was refused permission by a cop to turn into my lot and had to pay in another, slightly more distant lot. A win would have rinsed that fit of pique away, a loss just leaves me whiny.

On to The Island!

One of the things I hated going to the Blue Jackets (as well as Clippers) games. The parking was so darn chaotic plus having to pay $15-20 to park then add the rude attendants and the annoying scalpers getting in your face.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
One thing to hang our hats on from last night's game:

The team never actually gave up. In prior years, after that second Flames goal, I really believe the Jackets would have folded and gotten blown out. At least they battled back and showed resilience.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
My views are much as everyone else. Except that I thought Jenner looked way, way over his head. Sure, he hustled around in a chinese fire drill kind of a way. But he always looked like he was 2 steps behind everyone else in understanding what was going around him. Ok, first game so maybe that explains it. But to me it seems a bad coaching decision to put on your first line a kid who a month ago was on the borderline of not making the team. Baptism by first line duty does not appear to have been a wise coaching move.

mt-svk

CBJ/OTT fan
Jun 6, 2007
and the fans similar belief. I for one would like to see two top lines, a checking line and an energy line.

Letestu-Dubinsky-Gaborik

Calvert/Jenner- Anisimov- Atkinson

Foligno-Joey-Umbie

Calvert/jenner-Mackenzie-Boll/Comeau

But for God's sake keep the lines intact for at least a period before you go to the random line generator.

What I saw Anisimov in KHL I think that the ideal line would be Calvert--Anisimov--Atkinson. He is a big center with very good hand and good body play and they are speed wingers. So IMHO

Letestu--Dubinsky--Gaborik
Calvert--Anisimov--Atkinson
Foligno--Johansen--Umberger
Jenner--MacKenzie--Boll

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
I will say this, which is an amazing thing to be able to say, I actually thought this team was going to come back to tie and win it last night. When that final buzzer sounded, I was genuinely surprised that they were unable to make a come back. This team has my full faith, it is expected there would probably be a lot of rust considering all of the forwards were just kind of thrown out there with no chemistry and asked to perform.

You are not alone. I had the same feeling and even when it didn't happen, I didn't really feel foolish for believing it. I like this group and while they'll never be the globetrotters, I think they'll win more than they lose.

cbjgirl

Just thinking
Jan 19, 2006
about last summer.
I will say this, which is an amazing thing to be able to say, I actually thought this team was going to come back to tie and win it last night. When that final buzzer sounded, I was genuinely surprised that they were unable to make a come back. This team has my full faith, it is expected there would probably be a lot of rust considering all of the forwards were just kind of thrown out there with no chemistry and asked to perform.

To expand on this idea... One thing that struck me at the end of the game was the fact that we went down by 2 goals (bang, bang) about 1/2 way through the 3rd. With 1:30 to go and on the PK there was NOT a mass exodus to the exit. People stayed in their seats until the very end. The fan base is hopeful and those around me at least didn't seem to be thinking "same old Jackets".

thebus2288*

I like the depth but we don't have to spread it out so evenly. Comeau looks ok moved up but whats the point really? Wiz should sit after last night. Like Umberger it shouldn't matter what your cap hit or age is. Other than Wiz I don't think anybody was too bad. Absolutely LOVE the way Murray pinches. Even after 1 game its clear how big of a difference Tyutin makes. Also not a fan of the constant line juggling.

neek21

Sep 8, 2012
On a seating side note, the 'new and improved' seating was very tight!! I'm 6' and my knees were up against the seat in front of me most of the night (at least the cup holders are removeable, that helped immensely!!)...also there was a leak in the ceiling. Whenever the cannon shot went off, a stream of water would drop along my row and the row in front of me in section 113....ugh

FANonymous

Nov 7, 2010
On a seating side note, the 'new and improved' seating was very tight!! I'm 6' and my knees were up against the seat in front of me most of the night (at least the cup holders are removeable, that helped immensely!!)...also there was a leak in the ceiling. Whenever the cannon shot went off, a stream of water would drop along my row and the row in front of me in section 113....ugh

Your tickets should have mentioned that you would be in the splash zone.

SHAMU!!!!

slacketbacker

Oct 25, 2005
USA

Agreed! The new seats suck. My wife complained the entire time that the cup holder dug into her knee. She's right, it was like going from business class to coach in section 108. It also rained hard in the 5th row of 108 most of the game. I've never seen it rain indoors at the arena before.

what is up with only one "Ohio Beer" area in the entire arena? It took 25 minutes to navigate the ridiculous mess of concession lines to get there, wait on this one dude to serve beers and get back to my seat. I'd say the "best fan experience" crap is dead and gone. I was pissed each time I had to hike through that crowd and back for a beer with actual hops you can taste.

I still say this is the best assembled team we have ever had on the ice. I am pumped for solid improvement each game. Still can't believe that was the same Savard from last year.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
Here's a dumb question. Did they put the raffle number up on the scoreboard? I didn't notice and didn't think about it till today!

I didn't win.

Last edited:

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
Sat in 114 for a preseason game, those seats are absolutely terrible. 2.5 hours of sheer discomfort. Things are pretty tight in 206, but at least there is leg room.

Everytime I go to a sold out game I am reminded of how long it takes to get up the escalator. Throngs of folks. Much prefer Tuesday nights in that respect.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Here's a dumb question. Did they put the raffle number up on the scoreboard? I didn't notice and didn't think about it till today!

I didn't win.

I don't think they did, but you can usually get it at the foundation booth near the Front St. entrance (along with the numbers for whatever items they raffled that night). It's also available online at some point after the game.

That's where we found the number. We didn't win either.

There were some who seemed really bothered by this for some reason, but really, even if you win, you don't get paid the same night anyway, so it's just as easy to just check later or on the way out.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
I don't think they did, but you can usually get it at the foundation booth near the Front St. entrance (along with the numbers for whatever items they raffled that night). It's also available online at some point after the game.

There were some who seemed really bothered by this for some reason, but really, even if you win, you don't get paid the same night anyway, so it's just as easy to just check later or on the way out.

Thanks. There is a phone number on the ticket for the CBJ Foundation that had a recording of the winning number. I think that was the first time I hadn't seen the number during a game!

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

There was a leak over 117 as well.

cbjgirl

Just thinking
Jan 19, 2006
about last summer.
I'm not so sure about a roof leak. When we arrived at 6:40 or so up in 215 (I think), there was basically a cloud/fog in the arena. You could see where the air conditioning duct dumped out because there was cloud formation where the cold air was hitting the extremely humid air in the building. Not saying there wasn't condensation inside, there probably was, but I think it was probably all internal.

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
Condensation in arena due to humidity outside. Warm day, etc...

Weather geek.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
I'm not so sure about a roof leak. When we arrived at 6:40 or so up in 215 (I think), there was basically a cloud/fog in the arena. You could see where the air conditioning duct dumped out because there was cloud formation where the cold air was hitting the extremely humid air in the building. Not saying there wasn't condensation inside, there probably was, but I think it was probably all internal.

The Fog was so the lasers would be seen better during the opening ceremonies I think.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio

The Foundation tweeted the numbers out during the 3rd period, but it is odd that they didn't put the numbers on the board.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Condensation in arena due to humidity outside. Warm day, etc...

Weather geek.

There was g-d water dripping down from the rafters to people. For some reason. Not good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad